“Good diner”

Mark TWAIN Diner Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 146 Restaurants in Union
Cuisines: American, Diner, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Good diner”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The usual diner fare...burgers, sandwiches, breakfast. Usually very good, but hope you get the good chef. One day a burger is great and the next...not so much. On the whole, usually can't go wrong.

Visited October 2012

Union, New Jersey
“Mark Twain”
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Average diner food. Open 24 hours a day so it does it's job as a late night eatery. Average not great.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT THEIR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have been a loyal customer of the Mark Twain dinner for years, to the point that everyone remembered me when I walked in. The manager and the owner are great people and really nice. But they need to find new employees that actually care about customer service. One night when I ordered, they messed my whole order up. They gave me the wrong dinner and mixed up my appetizer. I called the manger, he apologized and said the next visit he would discount. Which was fine since I was going there at least twice a week. I ordered dinner the following week and went to pick it up. After I walked in, I stood there for about 5 mins until one waitress had to grab the woman to help me. Which I ended up finding out her name was Yvette and was a waitress filling in for the night. She had an attitude from the moment she saw me until the moment I left. I asked her if she would apply the discount I was promised and simply said she had no idea what I was talking about and she couldn't do it. So, I explained the situation and how i see him every week, she tried to tell me that he wasnt the manger and that he ddnt work there anymore. Then she said she would call him during the week, which didn't make sense. I asked her how would she call if he wasnt working there anymore. She didn't even answer and continued with her attitude. If she was going to look into the situation then why didnt she ask for my name or number. She just wanted to get me out of there. Then when i asked her to repeat my order to make sure its correct, and instead of doing that she told me to look in the bag and check for myself. That was a great answer she gave me. Thats your job to make sure you got everything correct. Ive never be so shocked that she had the nerve to tell me to look in the bag to make sure my order was right. She had no people skills and if she worked in the real world, she would be fired the moment she started. She needs to stay as a waitress which she probably bad at too. After everything happened, I told her not to bother with anything because I'm never coming back here again. She laughed and said thank you. I couldn't believe how unprofessional Yvette was. I went home and told my boyfriend the whole story and he went to the restaurant bringing the food back. As soon as he walked in, she was talking away on the phone not acknowledging my boyfriend and told the person on the phone that she would call them back and huffed. As if he was bothering her because she had to help him. He got really mad while he was in there and made sure Yvette knew how disrespectful she was, and how you don't speak to someone in the way that she did. As he was walking out another manager came out and apologized for Yvette's behavior. She also apologized to me as well. She told me that she just started working there 3 months ago and was  waitress. She also said she had problems with her too because she tries to act like a manager but shes not. Needless to say this was completely uncalled for and should have been handled differently, without an attitude. They lost us as customers and will continue to lose more as my boyfriend knows a lot of cops in the area who will spread the word on how they have the worst service. Don't recommend coming here and the food isn't the best either. It was always just our go to place since it was close and open late.

1 Thank Mia1228
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
“You're gonna get fed....”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We kinda stumbled upon this diner by accident. We made a wrong turn and I spotted this old diner and I've always been a big fan of older diners. The menu is vast which probably means much of the offered items are coming from the freezer and fryer. We were seated and served promptly and the food was pretty good. I ordered a burger and it was HUGE. I thought I would order dessert because I walked past tempting bakery display cases on my way into the restaurant. The dinner portions were large enough that I actually had no room left for dessert. I would eat here again. I do think the waitress could have been more attentive. My glass was empty for about 10 minutes. She disappeared for long lengths of time during our dining.

• Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, California
“was ok 'til I got the bill..”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Had a late dinner , total bill was $ 38.52 , handed my credit card to the waitress plus the cash $5 tip. Got my receipt it was $38.52. It was a hearty meal, same serving that you normally get from any diner in New Jersey. After a month I got my credit bill and discovered that they charge me $43.52. Surprised with the additional $5, I spoke with the manager he said he will refund the $5 if i'll show him the receipt. Not interested in getting the $5 back, the point is it was a mistake on their part and i just hope it was not a dishonest one. Sorry, the sad part here is I don't trust them anymore.

• Visited April 2012