“We get what we pay for”

Clinton Manor Hotel Union
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Union
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I wanted the least expensive place possible for my 10 hour layover so I could work and rest and this was it. I would have rated the motel as average, however it really is not. I did like the family who owns and operates the motel and can empathize with them as a fellow lodging owner (some people have totally unrealistic expectations and cannot be satisfied), however there were some major concerns. First, they advertise at the airport a nightly rate of $59, however when I called for a 6-hour day rate they quoted $69. They did send a complementary shuttle, but it did smell bad and had stains on the ceiling and seats. It was complimentary. When I arrived they asked me to sign a blank sales slip. I requested they put the price and they recorded $80. When I asked for a detailed price breakdown it was not provided. At this point I only wanted to rest so I signed and paid $80. The room was in poor condition as was the entire facility, definitely not a place I would stay more than 6-8 hours and next time I'm layed over in Newark I'll go elsewhere. I alsowouldn't stay here with a family or friends. I'm honestly surprised that Travelodge grants them a license to operate under that brand.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 29, 2013

first ever horrible hotel i stayed in! I couldn't imagine that a travelodge could be soooooo bad!!
Location wasn't good at all and rooms so dirty!! this kind of hotel shouldn't exist...no service from this indian family owning the hotel, weird people taking care the hotel looking at you strangely, and staff playing playstation and watching tv in front of you at the counterone thing they know how to do is to take your money and buy expensives cars, they just don't care about service...we didn't feel safe at all...we saw different police patrols coming meaning that things are happening in this area...no breakfast and the few things you can eat are not fresh and are in the dirty place.
I should have understood when i saw their awful van coming at the arport...shoud have slept at the airport in the boarding area would have been safer...
shame to travelodge

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicechris_M
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Recently, we got stranded at the airport after failing to make an 'illegal connection' and happened upon this motel at the airport lodgings' desk. It was late, we were tired and the price was great. I figured we would be ok as the chain has a good reputation. The motel was in a nice area and there were some restaurants within walking distance.

We were given a room for the price quoted at the airport and their shuttle picked us up on time (10:30 pm). She took us to the motel and put us in a room. The room, itself, was large, neat, clean and updated. The toilet, however, didn't work properly, so she quickly moved us to another room. This room was nice, neat, clean and the bathroom equally nice. The bed was very comfortable and the a/c worked fine after we figured it out. We were given a morning wake-up call and checked out by 6:00 a.m. We didn't eat the continental b'fast as we left very early. Again, we used the shuttle service and made it to the airport without issue.

The lobby and eating area really need some updating. The staff that worked that evening and following morning were very nice, helpful and accommodating. We were just so grateful to have a place to stay that was reasonably priced, clean and centrally located with a free shuttle. It was a nice ending to a very UNpleasant airport experience.

One negative, though...we were billed for one amount but the charge came through my c/c company about 15% higher...don't know why. They said they would give me a credit if I emailed all my info. I found it easier to just go through my credit card co. They will get it straightened out. But, again, the mgmt. was helpful and offered to fix it on their end if I provided the info.

I really can't comment on the other reviewers. Possibly, they stayed before the motel rooms were updated. I am picky, but mostly concerned about cleanliness and safety and this place seemed to have both for a very good price.

All in all, I would recommend this place for an overnight or two. If you can look past the tiredness of the lobby and dining area, I think this motel is well worth the cheap price we paid with the staff very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Room was comfortable and had brand new mattress,floor in bathroom had new tiles but rest of building is old.Great price though based on prices of other hotels.Hotel has a concerge and the van will take you to Newark Airport anytime plus drop you off at bus depots.pick you up.This is usually a big cost but it was great to hve that service.Breakfast is just toast,cereal anf bagels with apples and oranges.Coffee,tea and juice are available but danishes small and packaged - not fresh!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The worst place I have been in my life . Staff just as dingy and dirty as the room. Was afraid to sleep in their bed and use their towels. Bathroom falling apart . Toilet did not flush. Refrigator was operated by a iight switch that did not work
If I was the cororate office I would take my name off that hotel, I would not stay in another travelodge again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kamelag
Reviewed January 30, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I left 30 minutes after checking in because not only was the room in terrible physical condition, and the shower obviously not cleaned (thick soap scum on wall) but THERE WAS GUM IN THE PEEPHOLE AND A PROSTITUE LEFT HER CARD ON THE DOOR (Superimposed on a hotel card, they may be working together). I left to stay somewhere else because I did not feel safe. The owner and his wife accused me the next day of STAYING FOR A FEW HOURS AND USING THE SHOWER, becuase the person I told the night before about my leaving said I stayed for a few hours.

THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY USED TO DEALING WITH PROSTITUTES. Please do not stay here or take your family here. It looks clean in the photo and is a franchise, but this is a dive motel. They refused a refund, and I had to dispute the payment with my credit card company.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
The Kenilworth Hotel
Grand Summit Hotel
Grand Summit Hotel
#1 of 1 in Summit
Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford

Been to Clinton Manor Hotel Union? Share your experiences!