“I should have read reviews these before staying there.”

Clinton Manor Hotel Union
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Union
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Every one of the descriptions of how nasty this place is are true. It would not even be fitting for a prostitute to take a 'John' to....although that may be entirely the case....?

Picked this hotel because of the proximity to a job location and for the price through my company's travel tools . I can tolerate shabby when I am traveling for work, but this place is absolutely unacceptable. Couldn't get me to stay there again if I was paid to.

The room was just awful..I wouldn't walk on the carpet without shoes. The bathroom had the smell of mold. The plug for the wall mounted hair dryer was broken and just hanging there with only one prong and bare wires. The toilet flushed slowly and looked like it wanted to back up.

There are only two outlets in the room...if you wanted to use the bedside lamps, you needed to unplug the clock. If you wanted to use the fridge or microwave, you need to unplug the tv or lamp. The t.v.'s universal remote was not programmed for the set...I did that myself.

I did not go to the offered breakfast, was working too early, but have no reason to disbelieve the other's comments on that.

Worst of all, I was originally going to stay four nights, but plans changed and I checked out after two (which in hindsight was two too many); I had to demand a receipt which showed the credit due back to me, since they charged the four nights at check in.

Over the course of a week I had called the manager to find out when I would get my credit. The first call he said he would take care of it that day; the next day I called back and he said he forgot, because he was busy; several day later I called again, and he said he did not remember promising to do any kind of refund or even speaking to me before. I now am disputing the charge thru MasterCard. Luckily I did get a receipt showing the amount due back to me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Donald_K_12333

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Where to start? The pervasive stench of mold, the blood spatters on the corridor wall, the cracked and filthy tub/shower? The fact that my window opened onto a low, flat roof, easily accessible from the street, but the window didn't lock? Well, the only saving grace is that apparently the area's serial killers have higher standards.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David S
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is the scariest motel I have ever seen or been in. I was stranded at the Newark airport and this was the only motel I could get into... and now I know why. The property is not near the airport and upon arrival saw that the lobby was dirty. This should have been my first clue. The counter person was loud, unfriendly and wearing a dirty, stained shirt. After getting a room, I walked down the hall and saw the door to the outside was propped open. Not only did that let in hot air, but was also a safety concern. I opened the door to my room with a push, as the door was sticking. The room itself was dirty and unclean smelling. The paint job looked as if it had been done by a six year-old. The furniture tops (desk/table/dresser) were sticky. The bathroom counter was clean, but I almost got sick looking in the shower. The sliding door was dirty and streaked with... something. There was a bug crawling inside the tub and the grout was so moldy I would not have gone into the shower without wearing a haz-mat suit. The ONLY saving grace was the bed was comfortable. The AC was noisy and I kept waiting to hear the sounds of drug deals in the halls. The "continental breakfast" was a joke. An open loaf of bread for toast (but no butter or jelly), a broken juice machine, several oranges in a bowl, a coffee pot without its pump handle and a gallon of milk and a gallon of juice sitting on a table. The room my friend was in was just as bad, with peeling wallpaper, missing parts of a door jamb, and an open electrical socket hanging from the ceiling. How this place is allowed to stay open is a mystery to me. Save yourself -- stay in the airport instead!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Cary S
Reviewed August 11, 2012

It's dirty, they know it's dirty and they don't care. It's far from the airport, though the pick-up and drop-off is good.

I didn't try the breakfast, but don't think I would have after trying to sleep there. I left a light on for the first time in my hotel-staying career, just in-case.

Cheap but still not really worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank a2sharma
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stopped at this Travelodge because we had been on the road for 12 hours it was 4am and I just couldn't go any more so this was the closest hotel according to the GPS. I will never stay at a Travelodge again!!! The AC had a loud squeal and the hotel and our room were so hot I couldn't breathe, after having the AC on high for over 2 hours while having the fridge door open it was somewhat bearable. The fridge was all moldy on the inside, the coffee maker was filthy. The wall paper had been painted over and was falling off and just hanging there, I went to plug my phone charger into an outlet and the Sheetrock around the outlet was spongy like it had been wet at one time and was now rotten. The shampoo and conditioner were empty, the toilet would not flush so we (me my wife and our 3 children) had to use it anyways and flush it using a trash can that we filled with water from the shower. The room smelled like a musty closet. The continental breakfast had corn flake cereal, raisin bran cereal, oranges, milk, and make your own coffee in a nasty coffee maker.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank joshl03446
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here on an overnight layover on the way home from vacation - the Travelodge Newark Airport has scarred me for life! First of all, it's not at the airport. You get picked up and driven in a van without seat belts about 20mins away from the airport through some sketchy neighborhoods before winding up at the worst hotel ever to be run in the history of hotels (okay, maybe not in Afghanistan, but by North American standards, this place is a [--] hole). Specifics: hairs and stains (you know what kind) on the bed sheets. Hair and scum in the shower. Re-used soaps haphazardly placed back in their rappers. Coffee machine black and moldy with old coffee. "continental breakfast" consists of a few stale bagels and old cornflakes (don't even bother). Slept in our clothes with a hood up as everything in this place is filthy. Very concerned about getting bedbugs or god knows what else. Apparently I'm not the only one to have had a bad experience - don't be fooled by the price of this place if you need a cheap layover - sleep at the airport on the floor - it will be cleaner and more comfortable of a sleep. Wish I read reviews on this place before staying. Go to the Airport Marriot instead - money well spent. Shudder just thinking about this place - needs to be shut down very badly. Health authority?? hellloooooo?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James H
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Yesterday my return flight to Toronto was cancelled due to thunderstorms in the Newark area.I sought accomodation for the night and figured I'd be safe with a Travelodge as I have used their hotels before,you assume a certain standard to be associated with the name.I was so WRONG...The young man on the shuttle service was friendly and helpful.There were two other passengers on the shuttle also stranded,they were a married couple.The lady asked to see the room before she made up her mind and invited me to join her while her husband stayed with my luggage.Their room was in slightly better shape than the one I ended in.To be associated with the airport as an airport hotel is a rip off and a con this hotel is preying on stranded travellers.I have taken photos and will be contacting the main company if I can.Bathroom had dirty switches,tub(hair and other detritus in tracks of shower screen),lots of hair behind sink faucet.Main room dirty walls,switches,stained lamp shades,mirrors had residue and dirt on them,tv remote not working it had residueon back side,unvacuumed carpeting,stained bedding and blanket had hairs on it.Sheets appeared clean so I peeled back the rest and slept in my clothes.Slept with lighting on as I didn't want to wake up to any nasty surprises.The professional photos above appear to be same hotel but it certainly no longer looks like that!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SandraBlaker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Holiday Inn Clark - Newark
Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
Best Western Westfield Inn
Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites

Been to Clinton Manor Hotel Union? Share your experiences!