“STAY AWAY!!!! WORST "HOTEL" EVER!”

Clinton Manor Hotel Union
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Union
Calgary, Canada
“STAY AWAY!!!! WORST "HOTEL" EVER!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here on an overnight layover on the way home from vacation - the Travelodge Newark Airport has scarred me for life! First of all, it's not at the airport. You get picked up and driven in a van without seat belts about 20mins away from the airport through some sketchy neighborhoods before winding up at the worst hotel ever to be run in the history of hotels (okay, maybe not in Afghanistan, but by North American standards, this place is a [--] hole). Specifics: hairs and stains (you know what kind) on the bed sheets. Hair and scum in the shower. Re-used soaps haphazardly placed back in their rappers. Coffee machine black and moldy with old coffee. "continental breakfast" consists of a few stale bagels and old cornflakes (don't even bother). Slept in our clothes with a hood up as everything in this place is filthy. Very concerned about getting bedbugs or god knows what else. Apparently I'm not the only one to have had a bad experience - don't be fooled by the price of this place if you need a cheap layover - sleep at the airport on the floor - it will be cleaner and more comfortable of a sleep. Wish I read reviews on this place before staying. Go to the Airport Marriot instead - money well spent. Shudder just thinking about this place - needs to be shut down very badly. Health authority?? hellloooooo?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Yesterday my return flight to Toronto was cancelled due to thunderstorms in the Newark area.I sought accomodation for the night and figured I'd be safe with a Travelodge as I have used their hotels before,you assume a certain standard to be associated with the name.I was so WRONG...The young man on the shuttle service was friendly and helpful.There were two other passengers on the shuttle also stranded,they were a married couple.The lady asked to see the room before she made up her mind and invited me to join her while her husband stayed with my luggage.Their room was in slightly better shape than the one I ended in.To be associated with the airport as an airport hotel is a rip off and a con this hotel is preying on stranded travellers.I have taken photos and will be contacting the main company if I can.Bathroom had dirty switches,tub(hair and other detritus in tracks of shower screen),lots of hair behind sink faucet.Main room dirty walls,switches,stained lamp shades,mirrors had residue and dirt on them,tv remote not working it had residueon back side,unvacuumed carpeting,stained bedding and blanket had hairs on it.Sheets appeared clean so I peeled back the rest and slept in my clothes.Slept with lighting on as I didn't want to wake up to any nasty surprises.The professional photos above appear to be same hotel but it certainly no longer looks like that!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SandraBlaker

Travelers are raving about these Union hotels

Coshocton, Ohio
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

This has to be the worst hotel! Terribly disgusting and UNCLEAN! Was so afraid to go near the bed that I didn't even bother...the sheets were not clean and found several spiders in the bed. But I told myself atleast I will be able to get a shower...WRONG! The shower barely worked and had no hot water! Also the sliding glass door was in very ill repair and was lose and very unsafe! The gentleman at the counter (owner?) was rude and grouchy! Should have kept my money and slept in an airport chair!!

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Tina_shell
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room smelt dank, there was water on the carpet from the AC, there was a pair of dirty knickers in a corner, and the carpets were dirty.
Breakfast didn't seem very appealing.
Cheapest place available near the airport though, OK if you are stranded, but I slept on the floor anyway just to be safe.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TariqAbdulla
kci
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Other reviews describe the terrible condition of the hotel, which is all very true. The wall paper was peeling and hanging from the wall, remote control for tv was not working, lights were not working. I had to ask them to give me another room.

A new slant is that they charge you AGAIN a few months after your stay there (two months later, in my case). I called them to make it right. The hotel says the credit card company charged me twice. However, the credit card company says they charge their customers only when vendors forward charges. Bottom line - CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENTS long after your stay at this hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The good reviews here are obviously plugs from hotel associates. This place is so gross it is almost funny that someone charges others to stay here with a clear conscience. After a screw up with another reservation closer to NYC, we ended up needing a room late at night on a busy weekend. This was our ONLY option. The shuttle drivers were good and came for us when we called super-late (we were total night owls in NYC), but the room/bathroom/hallway/lobby left a lot to be desired. I wouldn't eat there but it looked as if they had some sort of breakfast bar (it was dirty though). Our room had stains all over the ceiling and upper walls, and hadn't been dusted up there in ages (loads of cobwebs). We found hair on the linens but they seemed changed, so we slept in the bed (without the cover). There was loose wiring in a taped up electrical outlet, not safe at all if someone had a kid near it. There were condom wrappers left in the stairwell ...so someone got some action in the hallway at night, lovely! (I believe the post about craigslist hookers, this place wouldn't even notice). The bathroom had a lot of mildew. We were trying to keep a sense of humor about it, because our intended hotel reservation didn't work out and we just needed a place to crash late for a few days of NYC concerts, but we're just glad we got out without bed bugs. I can't even come up with an adjective to describe the smell, I did a lot of mouth breathing. Travelodge should remove their name from this hotel. It doesn't meet ANY acceptable standard.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheGoodtymes
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The hotel smells horrible and is extremely dirty. The bed sheets are very dirty and you can find hairs on the bed sheets. The carpet was not even vacuumed. It is really disgusting, stay away. I couldnt sleep the whole night.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sevil O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
The Kenilworth Hotel
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
Best Western Westfield Inn

Been to Clinton Manor Hotel Union? Share your experiences!