“Overrated cold atmosphere some food great some not very impressive.”
Review of Ursino

Ursino
Ranked #13 of 147 Restaurants in Union
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Green St.
Transit: The NJ Transit Raritan Valley rail line stops at Union Station on Morris Avenue, a 10 minute walk from the restaurant.
Description: The name Ursino was inspired by the rich history of the colonial era Liberty Hall Estate (previously called Ursino), located on what is now part of the Kean University campus. The estate boasts a 4.5 acre farm, from which we harvest many of the ingredients used on our menu. Chef Peter Turso and his staff use these ingredients to create a menu that embraces Modern American cuisine. We also support local producers as much as possible; not only in our menu selections, but in our wine, beer and cocktail offerings too. Our goal is to provide a memorable, quality dining experience for every guest that arrives at our door. With knowledgeable and attentive service, along with expertly prepared food second to none, we aspire to be considered by our guests as one of the top restaurants in New Jersey.
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I dined here recently and we were disappointed in the dinner overall. Lets start with the restaurant itself. The tables and chairs were nice, the decor is stark contemporary with no warmth or charm. The view is of a college campus so not overly picturesque. Also, we were seated at a table near the private room which looks very nice by the way, but we were next to an exit door that led to the bathroom as many people were in and out during our dinner.

We had a soup which was outstanding, greek salad (good), short rib pasta appetizer was tasty as well.

The main courses were the pork (very tasty and well prepared with a Latin flavor), my wife had the signature dish, the duck which was terrible. It was so tough almost difficult to cut through. The waiter failed to even ask why my wife didn't touch her main course.

The final element of this dinner that I will discuss is the service as the dessert isn't worth mentioning. The staff appears to be very inexperienced. The were pleasant but far from efficient and professional.

The reviews that I have read are mixed and I now understand why.

I would not make a special trip to Ursino as there are many other options in this price range that are far better. Lorena's in maplewood , serenade in Chatham, roots in summit are far superior on all fronts for a similar price range.

Sorry I really wanted to like Ursino but can't say that I do.

1  Thank jjgSummit
There are newer reviews for Ursino

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have been to Ursino twice. First to check it out for my birthday party and again for the party itself. We book the private room that is good for about a dozen people and it worked out very well for us.

The restaurant is very well decorated, nice and upscale but not ostentatious. Food is very good as well. The entries we had ranged from pretty good to excellent and all of them had that fresh ingredients feel to them. I find that there are not too many restaurants in NJ that will "compete" with the quality of restaurants in the City, but Ursino is one of them.

1  Thank EugeneNY
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We finally checked out Ursino after reading about it a year or so ago. So glad we did. We got there around 6pm on a Friday night, and it was very quiet, only a few tables were eating, but over the next hour the place filled up. The service was prompt and helpful and offered to make almost any dish gluten-free for my wife.

My wife started with the crab salad special, and I ordered a delicious scallop appetizer, which we both agreed was the winner among the starters. Fairly simple preparations but lots of flavorful elements and twists.

The salmon with blood orange sauce was perfectly cooked with a great crisp on the outside and had pearl onions and quinoa crisps as an accompaniment. The pork loin was tasty and served with crisp yuca fries and a tasty salsa verde. Both were excellent.

Try the fig-infused cocktail, which was not too sweet and very satisfying, it was my wife's favorite cocktail she's ever had.

The location in the Kean University STEM building is very unusual but it works well for the restaurant's modern style and there are lovely views of the well-manicured pond and green space on the campus.

1  Thank EricDanielle M
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Serviced failed in the worst way. We came here to celebrate my wife's birthday. When we made the reservation they asked if we were celebrating a special occassion....Yes I said. When they called to confirm, they asked about the celebration...wife's birthday. That is why we came on a cold Wednesday. No one else was here.
Sadly we ordered our desserts...waited a long time...desserts came...no candle...no recognition. When I pointed this out they didn't seem to care, even though they were just standing around...no one here. The worst was the sour maitre d...he wouldn't even look us in the eye or apologize.
This is the type of restaurant that you go to for special occassions...how can they mess up such a simple thing and not even try to do anyting to make it special.

To bad since both our main courses...fish, were very good. Bread was light and tasty. Desserts were also very good. They just didn't deliver on their promise and it ruined our evening. How many birthdays do we have to celebrate? What a waste.

1  Thank ArthurLondon
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was surprised on my first visit that this is on the campus of Kean University. In addition to the restaurant itself, they also have farm property on campus from which they get (some of) their veges and herbs.

They have a creative, healthy (if you want it to be) menu, and a nice, relaxing environment. They aim to source locally. I will definitely be back.

The only issue I had was the parking, which is a bit of a walk to the restaurant. Not normally an issue, but on my first visit, there was torrential rain, so it was a drag.

They serve lunch and dinner Monday-Friday, dinner only on Saturday, closed Sunday.

2  Thank laurencat