“It was a fail!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ursino

Ursino
Reserve with OpenTable
Ursino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 145 Restaurants in Union
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Green St.
Transit: The NJ Transit Raritan Valley rail line stops at Union Station on Morris Avenue, a 10 minute walk from the restaurant.
Description: The name Ursino was inspired by the rich history of the colonial era Liberty Hall Estate (previously called Ursino), located on what is now part of the Kean University campus. The estate boasts a 4.5 acre farm, from which we harvest many of the ingredients used on our menu. Chef Peter Turso and his staff use these ingredients to create a menu that embraces Modern American cuisine. We also support local producers as much as possible; not only in our menu selections, but in our wine, beer and cocktail offerings too. Our goal is to provide a memorable, quality dining experience for every guest that arrives at our door. With knowledgeable and attentive service, along with expertly prepared food second to none, we aspire to be considered by our guests as one of the top restaurants in New Jersey.
london
“It was a fail!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Serviced failed in the worst way. We came here to celebrate my wife's birthday. When we made the reservation they asked if we were celebrating a special occassion....Yes I said. When they called to confirm, they asked about the celebration...wife's birthday. That is why we came on a cold Wednesday. No one else was here.
Sadly we ordered our desserts...waited a long time...desserts came...no candle...no recognition. When I pointed this out they didn't seem to care, even though they were just standing around...no one here. The worst was the sour maitre d...he wouldn't even look us in the eye or apologize.
This is the type of restaurant that you go to for special occassions...how can they mess up such a simple thing and not even try to do anyting to make it special.

To bad since both our main courses...fish, were very good. Bread was light and tasty. Desserts were also very good. They just didn't deliver on their promise and it ruined our evening. How many birthdays do we have to celebrate? What a waste.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank ArthurLondon

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New Jersey
“This could be your next favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was surprised on my first visit that this is on the campus of Kean University. In addition to the restaurant itself, they also have farm property on campus from which they get (some of) their veges and herbs.

They have a creative, healthy (if you want it to be) menu, and a nice, relaxing environment. They aim to source locally. I will definitely be back.

The only issue I had was the parking, which is a bit of a walk to the restaurant. Not normally an issue, but on my first visit, there was torrential rain, so it was a drag.

They serve lunch and dinner Monday-Friday, dinner only on Saturday, closed Sunday.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank laurencat
Palo Alto, California
“Great Food, Great Service, A Bit Pricier than Justified”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a dinner for four the other night.I'll say that we had to book a super early reservation, since we were told all other slots were full, but we were seated quickly and had excellent service (also, while we were there for 2 hours, the place never filled up and we never felt rushed). The food was outstanding and the atmosphere reasonably nice. I just think it was a little overpriced to merit an "excellent."

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jenny_in_Palo_Alto
Summit, New Jersey
“Outstanding Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner recently at Ursino. The night we ate there, diners had the option of eating inside or outside on their patio. Either option is very pleasing.
Many of the produce items offered on their eclectic and interesting menu come directly from their local garden, right by the restaurant. The offerings are creative and the hard part is trying to decide which ones to select!
We tried fish and meat choices, all were excellent. We recommend saving room for dessert, these are not to be missed! We are looking forward to our next visit there.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank dephalp
New Jersey
“Sophistication in all ways right in Union, New Jersey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Who would believe that this fabulous restaurant would be sitting on the campus of Kean University. This suburbanite was stunned after driving through the campus gates to see the valet parker waiting for us in front of this magnificient glass building.

Upon entering the restaurant we were blown away by the dazzling bar sitting below a breathtaking chandelier sweeping the ceiling. The reflection shining on the glass walls of this setting formed a honeycomb pattern. It was gorgeous.

We were ushered down a spiral staircase where keepsakes from Governor Kean were encased in the wall. At the bottom of the steps we walked around an Asian stoned circle in the floor creating a pathway that led to the main dining room. Great detail went into the contemporary decor, such as, the huge planters hanging down from the level above. One wall was cleverly covered with the blueprints of the restaurant in a glazed color blue. The other was all glass looking onto the campus. I loved the feeling before even sitting down.

The staff was cordial and efficient. We learned that some were students from Kean and nearby colleges. They were well trained and aimed to please.

The menu was varied including the wine and cocktail list. Their concept is to use homegrown produce and local foods as part of the ingredients, and this was even incorporated into the signature drinks that were well priced at $10. I selected an exotic concoction with fig infused vodka. It was quite good.

A delicious bread was served with a bean puree that was wonderful. I enjoyed my Autumn salad that was incorporated with local cheese, apple, squash, and cranberry. My husband's grilled octopus was most flavorful with the taste of chorizio caramel and tomato emulsion. We continued with our entrees. I thought I had winner with the Cod garnished with cockles and chorizios served over a sliced potato until I tasted my husband's roasted veal loin. The meat was so tender, and the tomato marmalade, olives and artichokes made this dish a "10". The portions were fairly sized. We were getting quite full, but after looking at the dessert menu we couldn't resist ordering. We opted for the pumpkin bread pudding that was "beyond". It came with a scoop of pumpkin ice cream and a brittle cookie that was out of this world. I usually don't even like pumpkin. We also had an interesting lemon ricotta ice cream sandwich that was refreshing.

Perhaps I was most impressed with the tea caddy of all things. A lovely wooden box was presented to us with tiny jars filled with various tea leaves. We were encouraged to open each to get a whiff of the divine aromas before making a selection. I jokingly told our server that I loved the presentation, but unfortunately the tea box was too big to fit into my handbag!

We enjoyed that dinner so much that we asked to speak with the chef who was most generous wth his time to meet us. While paying the bill we were presented with small carrot muffins individually wrapped to take home for the morning fare. There was even an urn filled with warm apple cider that we sampled while waiting inside for the attendant to bring our car.

There were no complaints from us diners, and we are still in awe that this all took place in Union, N.J. As transplanted New Yorkers, go know!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank NewJerseyWanderlust

Been to Ursino? Share your experiences!