“Not Worth The Stress”

Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trenton
Reviewed May 26, 2014

If you like stressful hotel stays then this is the hotel for you. We were invited to a wedding over Memorial Day Weekend - May 2014. We booked our reservation & received email confirmation in March 2014. From March until our arrival in May 2014 we always had conflicting answers to our same questions.

The day of our stay we called to ask about early check-in, as promised, only to find our reservation didn't exist. Yet I had email confirmation and had spoken & confirmed information the past 2 months. After asking for a manger I was placed on hold for over 10 minutes so I hung up and called back. Someone picked up the phone as I heard speaking in the background only to hang up immediately. I called back again only to be placed immediately on hold. When I finally got to speak with the manger he was very nice, friendly, and said he would see what he could do to find our reservation and help us with our promised early check-in. He even called us back.

We learned from this experience that the Hotel DOES NOT HAVE:

We learned You Will Not Receive:
Notification to Let You Know The Hotel Is Under Construction
Notification to Let You Know The Restaurant is Closed while under construction
Notification to Let You Know The Bar is Closed while under construction

While staying there we luckily asked the front desk staff about finding a breakfast place nearby and were told the hotel offered a Continental Breakfast until 10:30am. Oh Joy! We don't have to travel in & out of the parking garage. We arrived at 9am. The food display containers were empty. Were we too late? No, apparently the food is kept hidden in the kitchen until asked for. Since it was just the 2 of us they brought out only enough food for 2 people. That didn't help the guests who walked in after us. We told them the secret to getting food. They did not replenish anything unless it was asked for. Even when asked for they only brought out enough for 3-4 people.

Had we known the restaurant and bar were closed we would have made other food & beverage arrangements. Management knew beforehand of these inconveniences but never bothered to mention them.

The one good thing was:
The room was clean. We hope the rooms will be renovated as they do show signs of age.

High priced for the service provided. I would suggest not staying here until well after the renovations are completed and the new ownership is in place. When will that be? Who knows as you may never get the same answer twice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank QueenOfPlastic
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I will start by apologizing for what I am sure was a very disappointing stay at our hotel. I will not try to defend the situation however I will tell you that we take poor service and performance very seriously. As you mentioned we have gone through a recent renovation and have become a Wyndham Garden hotel this means along with making the hotel look beautiful we have raised the standards at the hotel to the level of guest service that we hope will be of the highest level. Our restaurant is now fully functional and we offer a full breakfast as well as lunch and dinner. I hope if the opportunity presents itself you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves on your next visit and if this the case please contact me directly so I can welcome you to our newly renovated hotel and restaurant.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

First the hotel "lost" our reservation. Then they tried to give us a "discounted" rate for the inconvenience which was higher than the rate originally quoted. They wanted to charge us for two parking vouchers though we only had one car. The air-conditioning shut off at midnight and didn't come on again till seven the next morning. There was no hair dryer in the bathroom. The continental breakfast consisted of cold cereal, sliced melon, and bread to be toasted. When we asked for tea, we were brought a selection of herbal and decaf; we asked for a breakfast tea, anything with caffeine and were told they "don't carry tea like that." No water or juice available, either. My entire breakfast consisted of a slice of rye toast. Not at all inclined to ever return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank I B
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to say a few words about out hotel. I am sorry that your trip was not as enjoyable as you may have hoped. As the General Manager of the hotel everything from a lost reservation to not having the correct tea available for breakfast falls under the umbrella of me dropping the ball and for that I apologize. As you can see we have renovated our hotel to be one of the most beautiful in the area however none of this means much if we cannot handle the service end properly. I assure you everything you mentioned here will be addressed by me and upgraded and I thank you for bringing them to my attention. I hope we have a chance show you our new and improved hotel on your next to the area.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Be aware this hotel is under renovations, restaurant is closed and services are limited. We didn't know this prior to booking and were disappointed. Should have been told upon reserving. Staff were kind and helpful but we arrived late and didn't have many options.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shirley J

Hello and thank you for taking the time to say a few words about out hotel. I am sorry that your trip was not as enjoyable as you may have hoped. As you have stated we were under renovations and had to limit our restaurant hours however we are happy to state that our beautiful new restaurant is now back running at normal hours. I hope the front desk offered you food locations that are available via delivery or a short cab or car ride away. On your next visit please ask for me personally and I would love to show you are newly remodeled restaurant and lounge that have been constructed to handle late night weekend travelers such as yourself. Thank you for staying we hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Terrible. I understand that it was sold and going through a remodeling. That should have been known ahead of time. The front desk personnel were terrific however. NO FOOD. Restaurant was closed and there was no food available in the whole city. A state capital and nothing is open on Sunday? Really? No business office. Computers didn't work. Tv was Analog. Wasn't clear at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank David C

Hello and thank you for taking the time to say a few words about out hotel. I am sorry that your trip was not as enjoyable as you may have hoped. As you have stated we were under renovations and had to limit our restaurant hours and yes being a State Capital most of the restaurants in the city are closed on Sunday. I hope the front desk offered you food locations that are available on Sunday via delivery or a short cab or car ride away. On your next visit please ask for me personally and I would love to show you are newly remodeled restaurant and lounge that have been constructed to handle late night weekend travelers such as yourself. Thank you for staying we hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

While the review is for the Lafayette Yard, I want to publicly thank the Marriott Spring hill staff at Ewing , Anthony and Chris for helping me find the place at 3AM in the morning. For some reason all the hotel rooms were booked in the area. Both Chris and Anthony called until they talked with Erica, the late night clerk at the Lafayette to reserve me a room.

Once at the Lafayette I found that they were no longer part of the Marriott family, however Erica was courteous, helpful, and attentive. There was no bellman on duty but the security guard assisted me with my bags. In the morning I received a free continental breakfast. The only down side was the hotel common areas were being renovated which caused problems in navigating the property. Thank you to Lafayette Yard for helping a weary traveller.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for taking the time to say a few words about out hotel. I am extremely pleased that multiple Front Desk agents who have no affiliation from two different companies could work together and take what I was sure a stressful situation and turn it into a positive one for you at the end of a long day. In our industry the one thing we can all offer at no charge is our ability to be helpful and courteous. It is nice to see that both are alive and well in both Ewing and Trenton NJ. Thank you for staying we hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

First it took the clerk 15 minutes to come to the desk. Then he issued me a key for a room that was already occupied. It took him another 7 minutes to be at the desk for a new room assignment. He claimed it was the 3rd time that night that that had happened due to a computer malfunction. If this is true I do not fault him, but it would make sense after the first one or two to have a paper list off to the side.
Then in the morning, I was not sure if Breakfast was part of the deal but the lady at the desk said yes. I went to get some and the waiter asked for a voucher, which I had never been given.
The Location and room itself was fantastic. I also took advantage of the fitness room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Jonathan M
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. I personally apologize for the issues you had with your room no matter what the reason for the problem you as the guest should never have to experience that problem. And I as the General Manager take full responsibility for that and I will do my best to correct this from happening in the future. I hope when you are in the area in the future you stop by and see the changes made at the hotel and introduce yourself so I can personally apologize.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

As others suggest, there is virtually no other choice if you wish to stay in Trenton. That being said, my room was comfortable and clean, while parking was convenient and not exorbitant. Though there is much rebuilding and construction going on at the moment, none of it was especially disruptive or bothersome. Even the room rate ($89) seemed amazing for the value. Until, that is, I had to deal with THE OTHER GUESTS. Friday night was bad enough, with loud partying in the next room well past my bedtime.

But Saturday night took the cake. At 1:30 a.m. guests were loudly talking and yelling up and down the hallway outside my room. From what I could hear apparently all of the other doors were open for people to come and go between rooms. At one point someone began pounding on my door urging me to come out and join them, apparently thinking I was with their group. I called the front desk to complain and they said they would "send someone up." Things calmed down for a while but revved up once again at around 2:45, prompting me to call the front desk again. "There are people screaming in the hallway outside my room," I said. "Sir, those people rented those rooms to hold their celebration," I was told. "And I rented my room to sleep. Don't they know that celebrations are for the function rooms downstairs!?!?!?" I said, astonished at such a nonsensical justification. The desk person again promised to have security check things out. And, to his credit, eventually calm was again restored.

Nonetheless, I felt that I shouldn't let things go at that. Even with an amazingly good room rate, such rudeness and thoughtless disturbances by other guests simply shouldn't be tolerated in any hotel that professes to quality. Upon checking out the next morning, I registered my disappointment with the front desk and asked that someone in authority give me some sort of "consideration" in handling my bill, to compensate for such an unacceptable experience. Since it was Sunday morning I was told that there was no one there who could speak to me directly. They would, however, certainly pass along my complaint. Later, when I got the credit card bill, I saw that they had done nothing, as it turned out.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the wonderful Classics used book store virtually directly across the street.