“Like having Dinner at the In-laws”

Chick and Nello's Homestead Inn
Ranked #18 of 292 Restaurants in Trenton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2015

I heard about the place for years and finally went last weekend with my spouse, daughter and her spouse. I can best describe it as dinner at a relative -- except it costs about $50+ per person. A few dishes to choose from were quickly rattled off by a waiter in a hurry - salad course, pasta course, entree. All the food was tasty. The cocktails were good and we shared a bottle of wine. Skipped coffee / dessert; the waiter said the coffee is terrible, the 3 desserts offered sounded like nothing special. Just a guess but in retrospect, I think he wanted us out so another group could get the table. I doubt I'll ever go back unless someone insists.

3  Thank fossil2u

Reviewed May 30, 2015

I wondered why my dear old dad who introduced me to all the best old Trenton Restaurants never took me here. Especially after all the great reviews I've read. After tonight, I know why..,,.Good food, with the old Trenton ambience, but some inconsistency and New York prices!
5 of us (2 couples and child), had appetizers: cauliflower, 2 cod and hot peppers, 4 clams with entrees: half roast chicken, chicken Parm, veal Parm, sausage and peppers, Childs portion of pasta. For dessert we had 4 desserts of Arctic ice cream or Tartuffo.
We also ordered sides of spinach, broccoli rabe and fries.
Everything was very good. Fries were the worst. Old frozen crinkle fries. Mushy.
Biggest issue was value for money. All veggies and sides were extra. Our bill before drinks, tax and tip was $225.00. The bar bill was another $70 for 3 Martinis and a couple glasses of wine.
Bar service was excellent, food service adequate. Had to ask for a check.
I love the old Trenton feel, but let the old politicians pay the bill!

3  Thank 65AroundTheWorld
Reviewed May 30, 2015

Went here because it was close to the theatre we were going to...no one greeted you, sat us where we did not want to sit, waiters did not care, ordered the special "haddock" which was just a piece of fish and marinara sauce poured over it, with wilted spinach on the side. Horrible!

6  Thank dadaappaya
Reviewed May 19, 2015

This is a place where locals, politicians and former Trentonians dine in an informal atmosphere. You can truly feel like an outsider if you're sitting next to tables of "insiders" who have been coming here for years, like to hear themselves talk (and others nearby have to hear them,too) and yell across the room when they see someone they know. If you can get past this, you'll enjoy down-home food. The tomato salad with red onion and blue cheese is always great. The pastas are perfectly cooked, the steaks and chops are scrumptious. But our favorite is the roasted chicken - melts in your mouth! And after years of accepting cash-only payments, they now accept credit cards.

3  Thank Jfasch
Reviewed May 16, 2015

Chick and Nello's is a Central Jersey tradition. With few exceptions, the dishes are perfectly prepared and the service is warm and competent. You immediately feel at home. I can hardly think of a red gravy Italian restaurant that I would recommend over Chick and Nello's. Beautiful pasta, wonderful meats, and excellent cocktails. It is not a place one visits for decor, but for the warmth of the staff.

1  Thank GAF11