“Old school and part of a dying breed”

Chick and Nello's Homestead Inn
Ranked #9 of 258 Restaurants in Trenton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
NJ
“Old school and part of a dying breed”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Please, please, please ladies and gentlemen, realize the review prior to mine is an absolute farce. Chick n Nello's is the last of a dying breed of restaurants in this State and area. Very small, no menus, but fantastic food, fantastic service and character out the backside. I was one of those people that always thought I couldn't get into Chick n Nello's because you had to know someone or be an insider. Lucky for me, I was WRONG. I've been going to the Homestead Inn for years now and it never disappoints. The restaurant is basically located in an old home where the bar is sectioned off from the dining room. This is the place that all the old politicos and lawyers used to broker their deals and hob nob amongst each other. Think along the lines of Rao's East Harlem, but better service and easier to get in. Yeah, I know what you're saying, " they live on that old reputation." But not true. First and foremost, these guys treat you like family.....from the moment you set foot inside. I mean come on, there's a reason why Justin Timberlake was sent here within the last year.
Here's the deal with the food. Regular Italian dishes along with chops and side dishes. Veal chops are killer along with meatloaf amongst the rest. I mean come on, who recommends meat loaf??? You have to go with a salad, pasta then a main course. Homestyle food with fantastic wine prices. The wine list is short as hell, but you tell me what restaurant us going to put an Antinori chianti or Mondavi Napa Valley Cab on your table for 40 bucks? We just walked out after a three course meal with a bottle of good wine for 119 plus tip.
Chick n Nello's still has it and well worth your trip. When you get there, you'll understand.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank NJtourist

“Bad service...bad food...just bad”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was our second trip to chick and nello's and we will NEVER be back. From the get go the waiter had a bad attitude towards us. Just snarky and unpleasant. We tried to make the best of the night and were enjoying ourselves. When my steak arrived (ordered medium rare) it was completely overcooked. I sent it back and the waiter agreed with it being overcooked. So, I when it was brought back it was rare as can be. Had to send it back again. Lets just say that it wasn't well received. We left the restaurant with the waiter making several nasty comments. Overall, a waste of time and money.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Docolove
United States
“Like Going Home”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

With apologies for being a lifelong habitue of this place, it still serves some of the best food you will find anywhere. It is fresh, delicious and served well. Some folks object to the decor (it has been the same with scant updating in 60+ years), the lack of menus, no prices, and the simple fact that those who go and go often are appreciated a bit more that newbies. But I urge you to go and to go again and again. Eat your way through the choices- you will not be disappointed. This place is an institution and carries forward recipes and traditions that make it an enduring honor to its founders and their descendents.
You will find chicken cacciatore like none elsewhere, sauteed chicken livers and mushrooms and onions, meat loaf like Mom made, some of the best steaks and chops anywhere, simple recipes like chicken and peas or veal tip or parmigiana whose flavors are unique and delicious. It is an old friend, a guidepost, home. You can go home again and it is wonderful.

• Visited October 2013
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“No Frills Food”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have gone a couple of times. The service is always great and while they do not hand you a menu the food choices are consistent. True its an Old World place which is becoming a rarity these days. We have had everything from steaks, to chops, to pasta, to shellfish all have been beautifully prepared as in Grandmas kitchen. The bar choices are good with most of the high end vodka/scotch available. Wine choices which we usually have by the glass are also good. We have never experienced not knowing the price of something as some of the other reviews noted. But we always ask if it is not stated as we have been burned at other places. There is no pretense here such as you would experience at Raos or Chef Vola which makes the dining experience quite satisfying.

• Visited May 2013
Woodbury NJ
“Still Great”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Haven't been here in more than 5 years and scheduled a dinner meeting there with a clent who is located nearby. I had the aspargus, salad, broccoli rabe and a veal chop, all were outstanding. My client, who is a very picky eater, went with the shrimp scampi and raved about it. I enjoy the no-frills atmosphere. The service was great.

• Visited February 2013