“"Build-A-Statehouse" or "Where's the Dome?"”

New Jersey State House
Ranked #6 of 21 things to do in Trenton
More attraction details
Owner description: The seat of the New Jersey state government is America's second-oldest statehouse.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Recently visited the NJ State House on a quest to visit all 50 the US capitals. Hard to see the gold dome from many places close-up except across the river from PA.

I always pose in front of beautiful gold domes, etc., but Jersey's just isn't viewable from up close. The original State House building is very old and it appears that buildings are just randomly added as needed without any thought to aesthetics. This is NOT a beautiful building by any means. We are visiting...because we want to see them all, and as such comparisons are very easily made.

A plus is that parking is free in the parking garage. Security here is tighter than any other capital we visited. Lots of State Police and lots of security as well. Tours are available on the hour and security is extremely strict about letting you into the building too soon. You may only enter the capital if you are on a tour.

Our tour guide, Joe, was very knowledgeable and was informative. He took us through both the Senate and the House, where we could take as pictures as we wanted. However, in the Governor's outer office, pictures were off limits. I did not understand why. They say it's for security...nonsense! This is where the former governor's portrait gallery was and I wanted to take pictures of some of the more infamous ones, like Corzine and McGreevey. I met Todd-Whitman once and would have liked to take a picture of her portrait (the only female governor in NJ).

When I visit state capitals I try to collect the business card of the current governor. Now, I don't mean I want to meet them in person (not that - that would be a bad thing) but to secure one from the office or a staff member. Well, I was unsuccessful in obtaining one from Chris Christie...in fact I was practically laughed at - at the request. That's okay I got one from Chief Counsel of the Office of the Governor and it had Christie's name on it...score!

Another plus was that we had lunch in the cafeteria...a nice chicken sandwich and we were on our way to our next capital...Dover.

P.S. Stop by across the street and visit the World War II memorial...it's worth it and probably the best spot to see the hidden dome.

3  Thank cdrake3460

Reviewed July 9, 2012

great tour--easy to write a grant to fund a bus for school students. Students really seemed to enjoy the tour.

1  Thank Love_Southern_NJ
Reviewed June 28, 2012

good food good time - enjoyable place to get lunch

Reviewed September 16, 2011

We spent a morning in Trenton and took a guided tour of the Statehouse, which (unlike many other State Houses) is the original 1792 structure. The guide was knowledgeable and communicated his love for the place and its history (although he told us he'd recently moved across the river to Pennsylvania). The Statehouse is well worth visiting, along with the World War II Memorial on the opposite side of State Street.

4  Thank BobKilcoyne
Reviewed November 17, 2010

nice place to visit. u will really love it and enjoy the trip .have fun and really love it

1  Thank Chandadak