“Service is always an issue”
Review of IHOP

IHOP
Ranked #24 of 56 Restaurants in Totowa
River Vale, New Jersey
“Service is always an issue”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The food itself is fine, it is like any other IHOP, but oftentimes at this location the service is lacking. I have worked in the food industry for ten years, I understand busy days and slashed hours, therefore I am always super pleasant and tip 20%. What I cannot stand is waiting 30 minutes for service. Usually if I go to any IHOP it is not on busy days (like saturdays or sundays), I try to go on an off day. Even if I go on a Tuesday morning sometimes we are waiting and waiting for a server to stop by the table. Yesterday we went and were seated right away, which was surprising because everyone is off this week and it was pretty busy. The tables all around us were being served except ours. I gave it time since it was busy and maybe hours have been cut. I noticed after about 15 minutes the hostess grabbed a server and pointed to our table telling her that we needed to be served. The server okay'd her, ran into the kitchen, and another 15 minutes went by without any service. What did us in was the fact that the hostess seated people right next to our table when there were PLENTY of tables behind us. The tables are so close together that it was as if we were a party of four! Very awkward.... We quietly got up and left to go to a diner (where we were served immediately). I don't believe in yelling at management or berating the hostess. It was not her fault, she did what she could. I did not see any manager floating around so I did not bother to ask for him/her. I just think this IHOP really needs work in terms of quicker service. Maybe corporate should shell out more hours for the managers to use if that is the issue (usually is). I will be going to the Clifton one from now on.

• Visited December 2013

Boonton, New Jersey
“Pretty much what I expected”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We ate at this IHOP location for the first time recently, since the one closer to me is not so good. We have had IHOP food before, so no real surprises. The only reason we decided to go is because we recently received a discount card for this location. Basically, most of us had breakfast for dinner: pancakes, waffles, bacon strips, and chicken strips. Food was OK and service was OK. Atmosphere was noisy that particular evening with lots of small children popping free balloons they received here. I wish there was a Denny's restaurant around here, because we think they have better similar type food.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank HOCKPOOH
Paterson, New Jersey
“Good but customer service lacking.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Love the food! Breakfast is amazing. The speed of service depends on who you get. Sometimes really good. Sometimes really bad. Never consistent. The value is good. I go with my mom on Tuesdays. Her meal is 1/2 price. For all seniors.

Visited August 2013