“Groupon couldn't help this experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tuscany Flame Italian Grill - CLOSED

Tuscany Flame Italian Grill
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“Groupon couldn't help this experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

The outside looks very nice but when you arrive...food is just awful. I am not Italian and could cook better Italian cuisine then that. Even though I had a Groupon I still left there paying pretty much double the amount with awful food, awful appetizer and just unsatisfied. Good luck !

• Visited September 2012

Bloomfield, New Jersey
“Terrible dining experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have to say that the other reviews I've seen of this place were spot on in nearly every aspect, including the mismatched silverware and "odd" greeting.
During prime dinner hour, this place was almost empty, and it soon became very obvious why. As soon as we were seated we could hear the 3 other separate groups talking about the Groupon/Livingsocial deals they were using, as was I. As they received their tabs, every single one had an issue with what they were charged.
As for the food, the bread was stale or overheated, because it was crunchy throughout. For our appetizer, we ordered the mozzarella frittes, which was $14 on the menu. To the table, our 16 year old looking server brought a woeful set of 6 mozzarella sticks that I wouldn't have paid $5 for at a dive bar. They were definitely from a bag or a box and had been overfried, where the cheese was oozing from each one. The caesar salads were rubbery and used the wrong greens, had almost no dressing and worst of all, the croutons were actually a few scraps of soft bread which should have been in the bread basket. For my entree, I ordered the chicken scampi and my friend ordered the cavatelli with broccoli. The cavatelli was over cooked and the broccoli was mushy, definitely boiled, not steamed or grilled. For the scampi, I expected a sauteed piece of chicken. Instead I got 2 pieces of overly breaded and overly fried chicken covered in garlic chunks, on a bed of boxed linguine, all in a tasteless sauce. Neither of us was offered any grated cheese or pepper at any point. For dessert, we were informed that neither the tiramisu or cannoli was available. Quite a disappointment considering we ended up with a few pieces of Entenmann's crumb cake with scoops of freezer burnt Breyer's ice cream.
The final disappointment came when the check arrived and already included an 18% gratuity for a party of 2. I understand that the servers probably get shafted occasionally by Groupon users who don't tip on what the bill would have been, but I've always believed a tip amount is entirely up the diner. The total investment was around $60. Factor in my embarrassment for inviting my Italian friend for a dreadful meal, and I'm at a total loss. I look forward to seeing what different restaurant will occupy this space in 6 months. Hopefully the chef moves too.

New Jersey
“Painful eat Tuscany Flame”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were a party of 5 on Saturday. We arrived at 8:30 p.m., the restaurant was full and after sitting for 45 minutes and just about tackling the one and only waiter, who started 2 days before, to take our order. I felt sorry for the waiter, he was spent! He had the son of the owner, the cook , and two other men bussing tables and bringing out food. Food that was sooo slow to come. While sitting , we heard tables chatting with each other and laughing about how long they were there and how long it took to get their check. Most people had Groupons, as we did. the menu was very limited and so overpriced, I think to compensate for all the discounts.

I had read the reviews before going, I even emailed the owner and asked him why restaurant owners don't look at reviews and make changes to save their establishment and he responded he did and changed all the staff and made improvements. That was 3 weeks ago. So sad to watch, such confusion. Ran out of bread for the tables about 7 according to the helper, out of the specials for the evening. Clearly this restaurant owner has never been in the food business before, they need help from a trained chef, and servers, experience is lacking.

Never go there, if you have a groupon, ask for a refund if you can. I am sorry for anyone who tries at a business and fails, but seek help!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lindy801
Parsippany, New Jersey
“I wish I could give it 0 stars...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Tuscany Flame is a Kitchen Nightmare episode waiting to happen. We went with a Groupon, which to start off, was completely false advertising. Any menu you find online is a lie...their prices are at least $10-15 more expensive and the selection is less than half of what was promised.

We should have listened to the reviews, but didn't. We walked in, waited for 15 minutes for someone to acknowledge us, only to be run over by a bewildered old man, who eventually sat us. The place was packed with unsuspecting Groupon and Living Social users, which gives the business they can't handle and ultimately really bad press. We waited another 15 minutes for a menu, before my significant other stopped the waiter to get them. In the meantime, another customer came up to us and told us to leave before we ordered...that the food and wait were TERRIBLE...run while you can and get your money back from Groupon!

So we tell the waiter we're leaving and their menu isn't the same, etc. and he tells us he knows and that the manager won't do anything about it. In fact, the manager is the chef. Who is also the busboy, who is also a greeter, who also delivers the food when he decides to cook it. Yes, imagine this. The chef, complete in his apron, is walking around refilling water, then walking into the kitchen, cooking a meal or two, hand-delivering them, and then refilling water and going back into the kitchen to cook. Also, one of the two waiters running around worked behind the bar and was clearly underage. CLEARLY a violation.

In short, DO NOT go to Tuscany Flame.

2 Thank Michelle H
Waldwick, New Jersey
“Might be good, but NOT WITH A LIVING SOCIAL or groupon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I purchased a living social coupon based upon how good their menu looked. Imagine our disappointment when we were handed a piece of paper with VERY FEW choices, aka prix fix menu. The choices were ridiculous, fried appetizers (onion rings, for example). The entree choices were 3 pasta dishes and 1 chicken dish! Imagine? I couldn't believe it. This place made a big mistake participating with Living Social/Groupon, because treating people in this fashion will never bring people back. Even though their menu looked good (and maybe their food would have been good) I would never EVER go back nor would I recommend to anyone. The sad thing, is that maybe their food would have been good off their regular menu, but having a voucher made us a second-class guest and it was offensive.

• Visited December 2012