“Who could sleep through the noise?”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Who could sleep through the noise?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I arrived to check in a bit after 10 PM, and the music from the bar was so loud I could hear it in the parking lot. I asked the guy at the desk how long this would be going on for, and he said 1:30 AM. My room was directly over the bar. He did not apologize, and just shrugged. I asked if I could get a refund, as there was no way I'd be able to sleep with the loud noise. He said no, and good luck getting a room as all the rooms in the area were booked.

I proceded to begin my trip home back to the DC area in the pouring rain while 6 months pregnant and exhausted. I found a quiet room off the highway in South Jersey. It was definitely not a Clarion hotel.

I do not believe I should be charged for a room I did not stay in. The whole point of a hotel is to be able to sleep. There was no way I could have slept through the noise. The whole situation is ridiculous, and I will never stay in one of these hotels again. I will also make sure I let everyone know not to stay there either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Christine F
CHotelTR, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us, and was reviewed closely with our management team. Again, we apologize, and hope you choose to try our hotel again in the future.

Clarion Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
New Bern
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We experienced outstanding service, especially at Front Desk where Simi did a great job seeing to it that we could stay in our room on a Saturday when the hotel rooms had been completely booked. The rooms were a good size and the bedding most comfortable. A "plus" was that there were no huge and heavy comforters on the beds that had to be set aside (as in most hotels we've stayed in). Every staff member we met was polite and courteous. This had to be the best hotel in Toms River!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CHotelTR, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Clarion Hotel Toms River. We appreciate your feedback and compliments. We hope you choose to stay with us again in the future!

Clarion Hotel Toms River Management
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

With Clarion you expect a bit more, especially if the hotel just won a gold medal.
We drove south to Toms River on April 30th. The trees, including the Dogwood, - blossomed to excess. The term; - “Garden State” is an understatement. It should be “The Garden State With No Equal”.

I was not let down, but I was disappointed. My reservation was more than 6 months back in time and we had asked for easy access due to my wife's disability. We were given a room on the second floor without a lift. In another part of the building there as a lift for the guests on the 2nd floor?

I would chose one of the rooms 201-233 if you plan to use the exercise room. I would not choose the rooms 217 or 219 as these are adjacent to the exercise room. The rooms with the odd numbers will keep you our of the morning sun. From our room 249, we had to walk down a flight of stairs, across the building, - past the reception and up a new flight of stairs. Quite a tour, but again, -the last flight of stairs could be swapped with the lift.

When we arrived there was a truck with equipment to the ongoing convention that occupied the handicap place closest to our room. W had to park at the other side of the structure and with a rather long walk with heavy suitcases, which ended in fighting our way up the stairs. to our room.

The room was nice, the bathroom was decent with plenty of space to to all your ointments. I could not lower the temp on the AC unit however, and it was a bit noisy. Traffic noise from highway 37 was almost non-existent.

Breakfast is an extra $5 but it is well worth it with sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs.

Apart from thees hiccups, the staff was very accommodating and polite. It is not a tall hotel, but there are a lot of rooms. There is a bar on the ground floor and there is always a staff-member around to ask for help. Internet was impeccable for the whole stay. I was not “thrown out once”, - a novelty!

The hotel however, was not easy to find without GPS. It is located close to highway 37 with exit to the mule road. There is a sign as tall as the mountain of Sinai, but we were a bit stressed at the time. (Drivers in the Garden State are much more accommodating though, -than those in the Big Apple. Those are outright “fast and furious” and to help another driver in the wrong lane is probably considered an earthly sin. No so in the Garden State.)

It is a very nice hotel and I can understand why they recently were awarded a gold medal. I just fell between the safety bars apparently? You will have to pay for your breakfast.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by the havoc the storm Sandy had caused along the shoreline. You hear about the damage, but to actually see thousands of houses off their structures or just leveled into rubble, it was heartbreaking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CHotelTR, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your visit to our area, and would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us, and will be reviewed closely. Again, we apologize, and hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Mays Landing, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just checked out today, and I would have to say this is one of the best places I have ever stayed at!!!! I was at this hotel for well over 40 days. My room was always clean, the service was always top notch! Al the bartender never seems to forget a face or name, very friendly, always going above and beyond customer service! Mike and John the 2 managers that I saw on a regular basis were always helpful; from suggesting restaurants, places to go, and even moving their car when a parking space is needed. Rosa in housekeeping always did an awesome job taking care of my room. Vera in breakfast friendly, kind, and helpful. Sandy and Brooke at the front desk honest, helpful, nice, kind, I mean I just can't say enough about these 2 people. I know I left severe people out sorry, but there is only a 200 character min. I would like to say to the owners of the property it is hard to come by great customer service, or even employee's that are as dedicated as the one's at the Clarion in Toms River, NJ, I just hope they are rewarded in an way that is equal. So, if you are going to be in the area stay at the Clarion!!! I give it an outstanding review!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Clarion Hotel Toms River. We appreciate your feedback and compliments, and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing so many of our staff members! We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I can not say enough about the staff of this hotel, they go out of their way to make sure that you are taken care of. I have been working with the hotel for the lasat 2 months - sending members of our team to the Clarion and alll reviews are GREAT!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and compliments, and we're happy that all of your associates are enjoying the hotel. We look forward to seeing everyone again soon!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel for business travel. It was a very pleasant experience. The front desk staff was very nice. My sleeping room was very comfortable. Great value for the money. The breakfast buffet was a good value with basic breakfast items. Nice way to start the day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Clarion Hotel Toms River. We appreciate your feedback and compliments. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Palo Alto, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Pros: clean.
Cons: old, dark, creepy guests.

I heard someone at the frontdesk tell her coworker about a person who had returned who in on previous visits bothered the guests. So, they let this person return? Twice in two days I saw "creepy guests." Once while going to use the business center. I didn't want my sister walking alone so my husband went to her room to escort her down. Another time I sat in the lobby with my niece until her boyfriend came down. I didn't want her staying in the lobby alone with the creepy guests. We ate at the Crystal Diner down the road instead of buying the Clarion breakfast. Breakfast at the diner is very good, dinner is ok/good -- depending on if you order diner food. I'm glad the Clarion was at least clean. For that reason alone, I would return but only if there was no other place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us, and will be reviewed closely. Again, we apologize, and hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Toms River
#4 of 11 in Toms River
Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River? Share your experiences!