“Exceptional staff prepared to go that extra mile for your comfort & enjoyment”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
UK
“Exceptional staff prepared to go that extra mile for your comfort & enjoyment”
Reviewed December 20, 2010

My wife has family in Toms River, so we've been coming back and forth for many years. We've stayed in most of the hotel chains in the area in that time. In October & November of 2010 we had occasion to stay twice at HoJos and would say that they rate the best for service, hospitality and value in Toms River.

In particular: 1) Check-in was speedy and efficient allowing you to get to your room quickly, without fuss. 2) Extremely friendly, accommodating manager and staff at front desk. 3) When the first floor wasn't available, and our copious luggage required minimum movement, the staff went above and beyond to give us a business class room at the standard rate. 4) Rooms were spacious and beautifully maintained. 5) I took advantage of the provided swimming pool which was excellent. 6) There were other amenities we didn't use but it is hard to deny the convenience of the numerous possibilities for food, restaurant, arrangements for local pizza delivery, pub and use of a gym over the road.

The hysterical claim of 'bed bugs' in the review (which sometimes appears to precede this one) I'd take with a large pinch of salt. The newspapers in the Eastern Seaboard Area this last fall carried alarmist stories about infestations in hotels mainly in New York City, allowing a malicious streak to creep into what I believe is likely fanciful nonsense. We found HoJos, Toms River to be the very model of cleanliness with close attention to the comfort and welfare of guests, in fact on our experience, our best stay in Toms River bar very few.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 5, 2010

This "hotel" is gross. I spent a weekend here with a few friends and when we got home all 4 of us had been bitten by BED BUGS! I am very upset and unsatisfied with the establishment of the Howard Johnson. I do NOT recommend anyone stay here, unless you don't mind being dinner to bedbugs. Run far far away, this place is a hole.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank xxAngxx46870

Travelers are raving about these Toms River hotels

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I really enjoyed the indoor pool to help me relax after a stressful day. The staff was very helpful assisting me with many business faxes. The room was very clean. Best of all, only a 6 mile trip to the beach before I went home!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband, myself and our two young children traveled to NJ for one last vacation before the fall rolled around. We were greeted with a more than friendly staff that was so helpful and thoughtful! They gave us great family restaurants to try and told us the best place on the beach to relax. Our room was spacious and clean and general area was very well kept. We stayed for several nights and each need was equally as wonderful! I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone with small children and looking for an inexpensive and convenient beach getaway :)

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2010

This hotel is located very close to the beach and other local attractions. The rooms were very spacious and had a nice balcony. We had 5 in our room. The beds were small, but they were listed as double. The pool was great . This hotel does allow pets, so there was some barking. The hotel bar is busy on Friday nights. So, that was my only issue. Returning from sight seeing there weren't many parking spaces left. Staff was very friendly and breakfast in the morning was good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sparta
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I was promised a call from the General Manager and since that did not happen; I am forced to tell my tale. In the past, I’ve worked at the front desk of Wyndham and Sheraton hotels for 5 years. I’ve never experienced this and hope no one ever will. My friend and I checked into this HoJo as part of a wedding group. We lugged all of our things up to the 2nd floor and proceeded into the room where I hit someone with the door. I looked down and it was the maintenance man tying his shoe. He got up and ran out of the room. A maid was on the phone acting surprised that whoever called said they rented this room and the maid stated that the A/C should be working now and hung up. I look over and I see a Bud Light can on the counter. The maid proceeds to walk towards me mumbling something about a courtesy call and a breakfast buffet, but all I could focus on was that her pants were undone, her shirt untucked, she was wearing no shoes and her hair was all over the place. As she walks towards me she is tucking in her shirt and trying to button her pants which she was having trouble with. She bends down in front of me and removes her shoe that was wedged under the ottoman leg (the wobbly ottoman, the place where the alleged “relations” happened). AWKWARD! She picks up the Bud Light can and goes into the bathroom where she takes out the garbage and states she will need to bring me a new bathroom garbage. BARF!!!!! If not for our courtesy call, I’m sure I would have walked in on the main event! What kind of hotel is this?!!? When we came down to change rooms and complain at the front desk, the girl said “well, you’ll need to speak with a manager, they were just up there changing the filter.” HA! He was cleaning out a filter alright. The next morning we spoke to the Front Desk Manager since the General Manager always seems to not be on the premises, and the best we got was 15% off our incredibly stained, run down hotel room. The maid and the maintenance man got the room for free, why didn’t I? If this happened at one of my hotels, the room would have been comped without question and a cheese and cracker platter shot up to the room ASAP. I will never stay at a Howard Johnson again. First and last time. All the wedding guests had complaints and I’m sure you lost many more future customers that weekend. Cue apology follow up comment stating that they will use this information to better their services and hope they can serve me again. These comments go back since 2005! Someone needs to get a clue! I was in Room 249, then room 201 on 8/7/2010…CALL ME!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank PrincessJas
hojo00358, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Please accept my sincerest apologies for personally not being there to speak with you regarding this Sunday morning. Please know that one of the employees in question has been employed by the hotel for 15 years with an impeccable record and is currently the hotels Executive Housekeeper. The other employee in the room was the houseman who works directly for our Executive Housekeeper. Our Executive Housekeeper was directing our Houseman to spots on the ceiling above the bed and on the wall that needed cleaning. While in the room, the Houseman noticed the empty beer can on the balcony and picked it up. After cleaning the spots the Houseman sat down to put his shoes on, for he was standing on the bed to clean the spots on the ceiling above. When reaching for the heights of the ceiling one may expect to have to adjust themselves, after stretching in such a way. I am really horrified by what you may have thought to of seen, but please understand that these are two individuals of moral integrity, with families, and a clean record. We hope that you can take this into consideration and hope that you will return as our guest so we may have the opportunity to make your next stay more enjoyable.

HJTR Management
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We all enjoyed our stay.. My kids loved the inside pool. We had some dinner outside on the patio. It was a great hotel. The people are very knowledgable and friendly..breakfast was great as well. I highly recommend this hotel !! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Ramada Toms River
#3 of 11 in Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Best Western Leisure Inn

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River? Share your experiences!