I've been on trip advisor for a while now and I always tell the truth. I booked the Howard Johnson through another site. It's my anniversary weekend and we wanted to do something. No one will watch our brats so we decked to take them with us have fun with them during the day at Point Pleasant beach and use care.com to find a sitter at night. I live in NY , hotel is in NJ. 2 hour drive. I get to the hotel and I think it looks more like a motel. ONE - I see a male and female outside sitting on the ground by one of the non main entrances with garbage bag full of clothes ( I'm assuming ). TWO- there is another couple on the second floor balcony of their room on cell phone yelling, acting very ghetto. I am waiting in the car waiting for my husband to check in. As I am waiting, I am thinking I made a mistake. This cant be a $269 a night hotel. I mean my stay at the Omni in Louisiana was the same price and we felt like royalty in that hotel. My husband comes back and I am feeling iffy. We proceed to enter Howard Johnson. The handrail on the stairs had graffiti etching on it ( when a dumb kid scrapes words onto surfaces with pen point or knife) THREE- the room was dirty! Looked like they swept all the dust balls against the wall or sprinkled the contents of a vacuum bag along where the carpet meets the wall. It took is two minutes to say " this can't be" then we started to ITCH!!! My son went to use the bathroom the toilet was so loud he was scared to really press down the lever. I swear that preflush sound would wake up the dead. I told him to leave the Peepee on the toilet. The furniture looked like it came from the dump the armrests of the chair were worn. We were in thevroom about 4 minutes and the kids started to itch/scratch. I called the company we used to book the room and the 1st CSR said check out now and we will give you another hotel. We went downstairs and there is a freakin bar in the lobby and loud drunk people partying. I told the from desk that I wasn't happy with the room. That this was not a $259/$269 a night hotel. They showed me another room. It was just as dumpy a lil cleaner but the furniture, the quality of the room, the filthy carpet , the smell. I've stayed at homewood suites for $109, this can't be real. It's seemed more to me like a motel or halfway house. I apologized to the staff and said I am sorry, I am not used to this sort of hotel, it's my anniversary and I expected more. This seemed more like. $45 for 3 hour motor inn. In the end we did not get refund from the company I book through . Even my little children were shocked to see the room. Check my review 2 weeks ago for Sonesta in Parsippany- I paid $109 and it was immaculate! I feel so bad for my husband . $660 with tax down the drain and no refund . I/we could not stay there! I should have taken pics before leaving the room. I did take pics of the etching, the dirty carpet and a video so you can here the bar party. Parsippany was a 90 minute drive that I couldn't bare to do. We found the Comfort Inn 15 minutes away. It was a lil better but not like the Omni Royal in New Orleans or the Sonesta in Parsippany, NJ. My husband is calling the credit card company to do a charge back. We should have just stayed home and drove to the beach amusement park from home and drove back at night and saved $660. As I left yes I was upset and yelled at the front desk. They ignored me, I warned the other guests as well and they ignored me too. I am calling the news, Howard Johnson Corporate , and hotels.com to put them all on blast!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the best of the Atlantic Coast at our Howard Johnson Hotel -Toms River. Conveniently located off Route 9 and just 15 minutes from the Jersey Shore, our pet-friendly Toms River hotel near McGuire Air Force Base is one hour from New York, Philadelphia and Atlantic City. We offer a complimentary continental breakfast, a large indoor heated pool, two restaurants, a pub & grille with live entertainment, a free pass to a fitness center adjacent to the hotel, free wireless high speed internet access and laundry service. We look forward to your arrival! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Of Toms River Hotel Toms River
- Howard Johnson Toms River
- Toms River Howard Johnson