“Very pleasant experience”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Toms River

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've been on trip advisor for a while now and I always tell the truth. I booked the Howard Johnson through another site. It's my anniversary weekend and we wanted to do something. No one will watch our brats so we decked to take them with us have fun with them during the day at Point Pleasant beach and use care.com to find a sitter at night. I live in NY , hotel is in NJ. 2 hour drive. I get to the hotel and I think it looks more like a motel. ONE - I see a male and female outside sitting on the ground by one of the non main entrances with garbage bag full of clothes ( I'm assuming ). TWO- there is another couple on the second floor balcony of their room on cell phone yelling, acting very ghetto. I am waiting in the car waiting for my husband to check in. As I am waiting, I am thinking I made a mistake. This cant be a $269 a night hotel. I mean my stay at the Omni in Louisiana was the same price and we felt like royalty in that hotel. My husband comes back and I am feeling iffy. We proceed to enter Howard Johnson. The handrail on the stairs had graffiti etching on it ( when a dumb kid scrapes words onto surfaces with pen point or knife) THREE- the room was dirty! Looked like they swept all the dust balls against the wall or sprinkled the contents of a vacuum bag along where the carpet meets the wall. It took is two minutes to say " this can't be" then we started to ITCH!!! My son went to use the bathroom the toilet was so loud he was scared to really press down the lever. I swear that preflush sound would wake up the dead. I told him to leave the Peepee on the toilet. The furniture looked like it came from the dump the armrests of the chair were worn. We were in thevroom about 4 minutes and the kids started to itch/scratch. I called the company we used to book the room and the 1st CSR said check out now and we will give you another hotel. We went downstairs and there is a freakin bar in the lobby and loud drunk people partying. I told the from desk that I wasn't happy with the room. That this was not a $259/$269 a night hotel. They showed me another room. It was just as dumpy a lil cleaner but the furniture, the quality of the room, the filthy carpet , the smell. I've stayed at homewood suites for $109, this can't be real. It's seemed more to me like a motel or halfway house. I apologized to the staff and said I am sorry, I am not used to this sort of hotel, it's my anniversary and I expected more. This seemed more like. $45 for 3 hour motor inn. In the end we did not get refund from the company I book through . Even my little children were shocked to see the room. Check my review 2 weeks ago for Sonesta in Parsippany- I paid $109 and it was immaculate! I feel so bad for my husband . $660 with tax down the drain and no refund . I/we could not stay there! I should have taken pics before leaving the room. I did take pics of the etching, the dirty carpet and a video so you can here the bar party. Parsippany was a 90 minute drive that I couldn't bare to do. We found the Comfort Inn 15 minutes away. It was a lil better but not like the Omni Royal in New Orleans or the Sonesta in Parsippany, NJ. My husband is calling the credit card company to do a charge back. We should have just stayed home and drove to the beach amusement park from home and drove back at night and saved $660. As I left yes I was upset and yelled at the front desk. They ignored me, I warned the other guests as well and they ignored me too. I am calling the news, Howard Johnson Corporate , and hotels.com to put them all on blast!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest; We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent experience at our hotel. We take great pride in our high standards of cleanliness. Unfortunately what you experienced did not reflect that. We did our best to make things right by offering you another room and as you mentioned you also found that room to be unsatisfactory. We know we can’t take back your negative experience we can only use your comments to assist us with making changes moving forward. Thank you again for your feedback.
Queens Village
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Hotel was very clean. Staff was very nice and helpful. Room was very comfortable and clean. Only problem was the pool was very cold and i was told it was heated and there were no towels around.other than that me and my family enjoyed our stay and will return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest; Thank you for the very kind review and comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you sharing your trip with us and pleased to see you all will return. Thank you bringing to our attention the concerns with the pool, we will look into this further with maintenance and housekeeping. We look forward to seeing you and your family again the next time you are in Toms River.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toms River
Ramada Toms River
#3 of 11 in Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms River
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms Ri...
#25 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River? Share your experiences!