“Not the worst ever, but...”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Reviewed June 24, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Reviewed June 23, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Reviewed June 23, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed, here, last week (Thursday, June 13 & Friday, June 14), and received a most welcome surprise: Management renovated the place! New appliances, micro-wave oven, refrigerator and a flat-screen TV set on the wall! I mean, the giant-size, flat-screen TV really floored me (!), because, at first, I didn't see it! I looked in the usual places for the TV screen, but it wasn't there!! I knew that it MUST be there, somewhere, because the remote control WAS in its usual place, on the bedstand, next to the bed. Then, I looked up at the wall, and THERE it appeared to me in ALL its regal splendor! I felt like such a putz! I called my buddy up, in Bridgewater, New Jersey, to tell HIM about it! Suddenly, I felt a craving for something, BEER! So, I ran down to the hotel bar, got Laurie's attention (she's the house bartender) and asked (begged?) for a six-pack of Miller Lite, and she informed me, "it's gonna be fifteen bucks, pal, we don't have a package-store license!" I replied, "no problem," and gave her a twenty, fifteen for the beer, and five for her tip-jar. Then, I proceeded to buy three bags of popcorn from the hotel vending machine, and made myself comfortable in front of my NEW, flat-screen TV. With the air-conditioning on! I was in Heaven!!! Outside, the weather was lousy, inside, the amenities were EXCELLENT!!! The room was meticulously clean. Everything in its proper place! The service I received from the front-desk was EXCELLENT!!! Top-of-the-line!!! The following morning, the complimentary breakfast was the BEST in town! Believe me, I've stayed at the OTHER places, but I consider Howard Johnson's, Toms River, to be MY place! I liked it SO much, I stayed for a second night! Oh, I did make one, minor change, though: On the second day (Friday, June 14th), I made my beer purchases, across busy Route 37 East, at McIntyre's Liquor Store. Instead of fifteen bucks for a six-pack, McIntyre's charged me $11.99 for a twelve-pack! Sorry, Laurie, nothing personal, it's strictly business! BOTTOM-LINE: Howard Johnson's, of Toms River, IS the BEST hotel in Toms River, NJ!
Okay, Howard Johnson's, THAT'S my review, now WHERE'S my check?

Room Tip: Be a regular customer, have a relationship with the manager, and, VOILA (!), he'll waive the req...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Guest; Thank you very much for the great 5 star review. We really enjoy seeing all the positive comments regarding the recent renovations to our guest rooms, that means a lot to us. Hope you had the chance to see the beautiful new indoor pool area that we renovated too?

I'm glad to see that Laurie was able to assist you promptly and you were back on your way to your "new" room to relax for the evening. I'll certainly pass along the remarks to her and the wonderful compliments you gave to the rest of the team as well.

Thank you for returning to the Howard Johnson Toms River. We'll see you again next time.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel in TRNJ. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating and the hotel was nice. The rooms were a descent size, quiet and clean. They served breakfast in the morning, just a little plain selection but it was nice to wake up to coffee, a hot waffle and a piece of fruit. It was just enough to get your day rolling. If I am ever in the area, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest; We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind remarks and for giving our hotel 5 stars. I'm glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable place to stay and a hot breakfast to help you start your stay off right. It is wonderful seeing you will return again should you find yourself in the area. Thank you again for the business. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Traveled with 16 mth old- floors dirty his socks were stained black unwashable. A/c in room did not work- was over 90 degrees outside n cooler outside. Clerk at desk was unpleasant stating nothing she could've done bout air. Pool smelled of urine. Spent $150 one nite and was not worth the cost. Very unhappy. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Guest; Thank you for your review, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. I understand you had a very uncomfortable night with no air conditioning and I am sure the hotel was working as fast as they can to correct it but if the whole hotel was out we would not have been able to move you to a different room as that room would have had no a/c as well. The chlorine used to keep the pool clean and sanitized are checked often however, we appreciate you bringing that to our attention so we look into it further. Please accept our sincere apologies for the isuses you faced as our guest as we did not meet our goal of providing 100% guest satisfaction with you.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were very happy with our room, the servicing of our room and the free internet service. The location is very handy being central to many places and with restuarants, Wawa, K Mart in easy walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Sarah G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest; Thank you for your very nice review and letting us know you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased that found the location to be an ideal fit for your needs. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Toms River area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Toms River
Ramada Toms River
#3 of 11 in Toms River
Best Western Leisure Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River? Share your experiences!