“Worst Place We've EVER Stayed ---Bar NONE!!!”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This place SUCKS!!! We were here on a business trip and upon checkin, we were assigned room 137. The tub was so dirty, I wanted to throw up. Cabinets were falling apart and about to fall off the wall. Everything was stained and nasty. The carpet was sick! We made them change our room and they put us up in 229, which was not quite as bad but was still nasty. The reputation around town is unbelievable. Everytime we mentioned where we were staying, people would say, OMG, that place is full of hookers, and they were right! One morning we got up and went outside our room and there were lamp shades and stuff from the room next door that had been puked all over. I cannot even believe that Wyndam would put there name on this dump. They have section 8 people that LIVE in this hotel, and it's a known fact around town. What the heck??? The staff is so dilusional....they think they have a high end hotel here...truth is, it's one step shy of a ROACH COACH!!! I'm not kidding. See for yourself! I have attached a few pics for your enjoyment!

Room Tip: Stay clear....we moved right down the road maybe 1/4 mile to the Holiday Inn.....much, much nicer!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
hojotogonj, Owner at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear Mr. Pocket,

We are extremely disappointed that your three day stay with us did not meet your satisfaction.

Your reservation was booked through Priceline, for a room with one queen sized bed. Upon your continued persistence, we upgraded you to a room with two beds, at no additional charge. It was only when you demanded to stay the fourth night at an even more reduced rate, and it was declined by our desk manager, did you decide to stay elsewhere.

At Howard Johnson, we continue to strive to improve customer service, and to improve our facility. As demanding as some of our guests may be, we make every attempt to accommodate them. In your case, we found your request unreasonable after already accommodating your numerous previous requests, and demands.

We hope you your next stay, wherever it may be, is a positive experience.

The Management

Reviewed November 26, 2011

last weekend my parents booked my friends and i a room for my 21st birthday because the hotel bar has karaoke on fridays. my friends an i had a great time, the whole place is clean and the staff was really helpful. we are planning another weekend trip soon!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My wife and I stay at the Howard Johnson of Toms River often and upon our arrival we are greeted by Margaret and Laurie with warmth and friendliness.They consistently go beyond their job duties and exceed them to help us with all our needs. WE WISH EVERY HOTEL HAD A FRONT DESK STAFF LIKE THEM.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed here while visiting family. Everything worked and the employees were friendly. Will stay again when visiting MOM!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lagnafme
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I was in Toms River for 4 days on buisness and I stayed at the Howard Johnson. It was really like a home away from home. The hotel staff was extremley accomodating, friendly, and very helpful my entire stay. The room that I had was very clean and comfortable. I had dinner two nights out of my four in their Legend resturant that is attached to the hotel. The food was very good and I enjoyed my meals very much both nights. I would definatley use this hotel again when I come back in a few months for buisness.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
hojotogonj, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear AndreaP,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay in Toms River. Your comments are of great value to our entire staff. Your feed back helps us to continue to improve our facility. We are delighted your enjoyed you stay and look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Teh Management

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I recently returned home from a six week business trip. My company provided a hotel stay at the Howard Johnsons in Toms River. I have never been on such a long business trip, but I have to say spending six weeks in a hotel I initially thought would be a grueling experience. The experience turned out to be a very good one. My room was clean upon arrival and anything extra that I needed (like extra pillows) was provided immediately. The staff is small, but very friendly and helpful. Because of the size of the staff, I got to know some of them pretty well and vice versa. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel that provided great food at a very reasonable price, plus I received a discount because I was staying in the hotel. One more awesome aspect was that the hotel bar has a grill IN THE BAR, so after the kitchen would close if I was working late and had the midnight muchies, I could still get great food! Thank you Howard Johnsons, I will be giving a great review when I have to submit my hotel stay survey to my supervisors.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2011

A group of us stayed for a class in town in oct.the outside of hotel is fine, as was the lobby area.as soon as u walk into the hallway where the rooms r located, an overwhelming smell of smoke & dirty crotches hits u.we booked a "non smoking" room.the rooms smelled so strongly of smoke....it made me believe the whole hotel was smoking.the bedspread was gross.smelled like smoke &dirty crotch.the"furniture"was completely stained & dated.the shower nozzle shook when taking a shower.the green rug looked like it had been installed in 1990.the"pub" was crawling w redneck men & ladies stuck in the 80's.GROSS, GROSS, GROSS

• Stayed: October 2011
hojotogonj, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2011

Dear Megbrett,

We apologize for the substandard odors you may have encountered while stay ing with us.
Our housekeeping staff has reviewed your comments, and finds your familiarity with dirty crotches unusual and quite telling. Please know that our staff is making great strides in improving the odors in our public areas. Additionally, we apologize for not being able to honor your request to be charged hourly during your stay.

Your feedback is very important to us and helps us to continue to improve our facility. We hope you choose to stay with us in the future.

The Management

Ramada Toms River
#3 of 11 in Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Best Western Leisure Inn

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River? Share your experiences!