“Smelled”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Smelled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

A group of us stayed for a class in town in oct.the outside of hotel is fine, as was the lobby area.as soon as u walk into the hallway where the rooms r located, an overwhelming smell of smoke & dirty crotches hits u.we booked a "non smoking" room.the rooms smelled so strongly of smoke....it made me believe the whole hotel was smoking.the bedspread was gross.smelled like smoke &dirty crotch.the"furniture"was completely stained & dated.the shower nozzle shook when taking a shower.the green rug looked like it had been installed in 1990.the"pub" was crawling w redneck men & ladies stuck in the 80's.GROSS, GROSS, GROSS

• Stayed October 2011
hojotogonj, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this review, November 12, 2011
Dear Megbrett,

We apologize for the substandard odors you may have encountered while stay ing with us.
Our housekeeping staff has reviewed your comments, and finds your familiarity with dirty crotches unusual and quite telling. Please know that our staff is making great strides in improving the odors in our public areas. Additionally, we apologize for not being able to honor your request to be charged hourly during your stay.

Your feedback is very important to us and helps us to continue to improve our facility. We hope you choose to stay with us in the future.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

I have never experienced such a low level of hotel service add to that the insults that we had to suffer. Our room did not have the remote control for the TV and I politely asked the front-desk of whether they can provide one. I was shocked with the reply, I was told to get down to the front desk and they might possible provide me one. I am providing the mild version here. What shocked me was the reason of such an angry response when I had done nothing to provoke it. I never went down to confront and find out the real reason as I did not want to spoil my vacation and I ate it to spill it here in the review so that other guest can be prepared for it. For the next 2 days I avoided any interaction with them. This is my first review of this kind and I have stayed at hotels in the US and outside and none can compare to this sad experience. Needless to say I would not return to this hotel and I hope this hotel management take steps to make sure that the hotel staff do not spill their out-bursts on a hotel guest.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sebastian K

Travelers are raving about these Toms River hotels

Tarpon Springs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

We arrived very late, staff was extremely friendly. Woke up the next morning hearing the traffic going by, very noisy. Cable not working, indoor pool GREEN. Kept getting locked out of outside doors, had to use room key to get in. The keys kept getting deprogrammed, had to walk all the way around the building to the office twice to have our keys reprogrammed. Rugs in hallways very dirty. Rooms were OK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

This hotel has it's good points and it's not so good points. The good: very friendly staff. Sliding door with balcony. Close to beach as well as six flags and other attractions. Close to any store you might need. Fridge in room. No charge for extra bed. Nice size pool.
The bad: cloudy water in the pool. Peeling paint around the pool. Thin walls as we could hear are neighbors laughing and partying till the wee hours. Pool and some of hall carpeting a bit shop worn. Expensive for what it offers but seems to be the going rate for the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank s s
Thaddeus70, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
First and formost, thank you for your feedback!

We strive each day to make ourselves & hotel better for our guests to enjoy. We're very fortunate to have our hotel so close to so many points of interest, which indeed drives demand along with rate. We understand there are a couple of areas that need some renovating and we will be addressing these shortly as our busy season subsides. As for the neighbors laughing and carrying on, our hotel was built several decades ago and is of solid construction. It is unfortunate that you were able to hear your neighbors. Please, next time this happens, wherever your staying, let me suggest calling the front desk so they may have the opportunity to address such an issue without you having to go through that.

We hope when you return to Toms River you'll be able to see first hand the completed renovations and hope it adds value to your stay.

Thank you for your comments and we will continue to strive to exceed expectations.

Todd Peterson
MGMT
South Plainfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

My two boys and I stayed for a week in Aug, Loved it, Clean Rooms, Nice Friendly Staff, Nice indoor pool, Bar food in hotel for late night munchies, short drive to the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, Highly recommend !!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 206, close to pool and close to car...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thaddeus70, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback! I look forward to sharing this with our staff.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The room was clean, the staff friendly and we liked the terrace area near the pool. Our room was not too noisy even if on the main road, but there are some rooms in the back, that look over the parking lot. There were different breakfast items on the 2 mornings we ate there, which was appreciated. There were no additional charge for the parking nor for the wireless internet! What a bonus!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response! We're very happy to hear from you and will look forward to shareing your feedback.
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Mind you, the front desk clerk advised me that it (the room) was a "smoking room, with a Queen-size bed." I specifically asked for a Queen-size bed. Luckily for me, I lived with a woman with a three-pack-a-day cigarette habit, for a large part of my life, I soon got used to it. In no time at all, I didn't even notice the smell. Next: I visited the hotel bar to get a six-pack of beer, to go. I handed the bartender a twenty dollar bill, she handed me back a five. Fifteen bucks for a six-pack of Miller Lite??!! Next: I called out for a take-out pizza. It arrived in twenty minutes, delivered by a hot, young, oriental girl! I gave her a GOOD tip! I dove into the pizza box, and started scarfing-down the pizza, washed down by one Miller Lite followed by another. Soon, I had a nice beer "buzz" on! I turned-on the TV to the Yankees game on YES. I loosened-up. I was having a good, ole' time! After the game (which The Yankees' won!), I took a piping-hot shower in my fresh, clean bathroom. I enjoyed a nice, comfortable night's sleep. Look, I would've given this place a Five Star Rating, but the room was old. The place NEEDS to be renovated. The curtain on the door leading out to my private patio had a large cigarette hole burned into it by a careless smoker. The carpeting, although clean, had a lot of stains caused by too many "accidents" over the years. The TV? Too many stations (Turner Classic Movies, American Movie Classics, HBO and others) were blocked-out by the local cable provider. They needed a special digital device in order to access them. The staff was friendly and efficient, though. In the morning, a complimentary breakfast was included in the price of the room. Plenty of food! I told the front desk clerk that I would consider returning, upon being asked. All in all, a "very good" experience!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank barryfleckmann
Thank you for your respponse. We appreciate your points of concern and it is very unfortunate that you had a room that needed such renovations. We have been extemely busy this season and look forward to completing the ongoing renovation projects. We are glad to hear you'll be returning and hope soon! I look forward to sharing this our management team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toms River
Comfort Inn Toms River
#4 of 11 in Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms River
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms Ri...
#21 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River? Share your experiences!