“I would have rather stayed in a Westfalia”

Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
San Diego
“I would have rather stayed in a Westfalia”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We were not expecting 5 star accomdations, but at least 3. I give it one star because the muffins at breakfast were ok.
The heater in the room blew cold air and would turn on and off all night waking our baby. We ended up having our 6 month old stay in the bed with us because with the heater set at 75, the room was only 62. There was no hot water the first night and the water was turned off for an entire day in attempt to fix it. The TV when turned on made such a loud humming sound we were afraid it might have exploded so we left it off. The windows were so drafty I thought they were open. The water so dirty Tom's River looked clean. Never again, espiecally for the rates they charged... and the ironic part was, we stayed for free (family picked up the tab as a gift to us).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WillXPC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
New York
Reviewed November 6, 2009

In October, I went to a wedding at the holiday inn toms river. I know the bride and groom paid for their own wedding, and I wasn't expecting anything fancy, but I was surprised and impressed by the caliber of the food, service, and overall location. The ballroom was truly elegant, and the meal was memorable - not just more cookie cutter wedding fare. For one thing, there was TONS of food. Everything was also delectable and well presented.

I also spent the night at the Holiday Inn, and was extremely pleased. The room was clean and modern, and the staff went above and beyond the call of duty to be friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, anytime.

• Stayed October 2009
Charlotte, VA
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I was worried that people in New Jersey would be rude, but I'm happy to say that definitely wasn't the case at the Toms River Holiday Inn! I came up to the area with a tour group. During the planning stages, Dana was wonderfully patient and answered all of my questions, no matter how much I pestered her. She is a gem! When we finally got to the hotel, we were exhausted, and thank goodness the check-in process was quick and smooth and handled with the utmost professionalism. The rooms were spotless, and the bed was comfy. The next day, I enjoyed complimentary breakfast (it's free for Priority Club members) and a dip in the indoor pool. If we had any quips, they were addressed efficiently and always with a smile. We can't wait to come back next year.

• Stayed October 2009
bordentown
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I am a frequent stay member of the Priority Club which is the main reason my choice hotel in the toms river area was the Holiday Inn. I was in the area for business for 4 nights Thursday thru check out Monday. Upon check in I was greeted with "Hi your last name" (I guess the young lady knew I was checking in). After her asking for my last name she proceded to answer the phone three times before she finally started to check me in. Needless to say it was the longest check in I think I ever endured. I was handed my keys and that was it. I inquired about breakfast and once again the lady was rude and said " Priority club members get it for free" Well that was wonderful, not only did I not know the hours of breakfast, which was my main concern considering I have an early morning work schedule, I did not know what I had to do in the morning to show I was Priority Club. Upon entering my room I noticed it was a Handicap room. I didnt even want to call the front desk in fear I would get that rude girl that checked me in. I called the front desk anyway and gladly was not greeted by the young lady who checked me in. I was told that there were no more king rooms to change me into but since I was Priority there was an up grade avail. for me. WOW now why was I not told that at check in. That was the only highlight of my stay. Actually someone was nice and accomodating to me. The Palms was ok. It seemed like I was just another customer to the server. I had asked if the had skim milk and was just answered "no". The front desk person who offered me an upgrade and actually ackowledged I was a Priority Club member, and I wish i could remember his name, was like i said was the only highlight of my trip. The room was nice, nothing spectacular for an upgrade, but was much better than the room before. If this hotel was not the closest to my job I would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
JerseyGirl166, Marketing Manager at Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Thank you for your review. We generally receive very positive guest reviews... but, based on your feedback, we do have one staff member who needs to be re-trained and monitored. In response, we intend to promptly re-train all of our staff members regarding these customer service issues. We are very sorry that you were less than 100% satisfied with your stay, and would like to assure you that we are taking your comments very seriously. We hope that you will return to our hotel in the future, and that we can "wow" you with our customer service and all-around high caliber of hospitality.
MECHANICSBURG PA
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed here in May 2009 & decided to stay here for Sept 20-21 2009. Everything was fine until breakfast time. Last time we didn't pay for our breakfast, we were seated & told to help ourselves. We ate and were given a bill or asked to pay. this time, we were asked if we belonged to something called the Priority Club and we said no and were charged for our breakfast!! The hostess was extremely rude and out loud so everyone could here that we took up the table and had to make another couple wait!! We questioned this bill and we explained to her our last visit and nastily she replied "we got lucky to not pay for breakfast". we were never never told of such a Club and trust me we won't stay there again. It's a great location but to treat returning guests sucked. Normally when you stay at a place breakfast is on the house for the guests. This was a darn ripoff and next time IHOP gets our business for breakfast.

Stayed September 2009
JerseyGirl166, Marketing Manager at Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
As always, our complimentary hot breakfast buffet is offered to all guests Monday through Friday seasonally, as explained on our website. Plus... all guests are welcome to join the Priority Club Rewards Program at no cost to upgrade to complimentary hot breakfast buffet everyday, all year long - a Holiday Inn Toms River exclusive. We hope that you'll visit the Holiday Inn Toms River again soon and enjoy a hot, fresh breakfast on us.
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We are former shore residents who’ve stayed here about five straight summers now when visiting friends. So far it’s been the best choice for our needs. The hotel is a 10- to 15-minute ride to the beaches. The front desk is courteous and efficient.

This time the room (two double beds because we reserved late, in July) was just OK – not cramped, not huge. It was clean, although there was one bug on the drapes one day. I find the beds a little mushy, but then, I like a firm mattress.

You may want to make a special request for the type of pillows you want, because we had an odd combination of some down pillows and some polyester ones.

The bathroom was a little cramped – not much counter space for 2 adults, 2 teens.

We had some difficulties with the housekeeping schedule. They tended to come unusually early (10-11 a.m.), before we were out of the room, and one day didn’t come back for 5 hours, until we were back in the room, and we had to ask for special night service.

We were accommodated in our request for a mini-fridge but it was placed directly on the carpeted floor in the closet area, making it hard to open (the door dragged on the carpet unless you pulled up on the door, and then it threatened to tip over the microwave they put on top of the fridge). So that was kind of inconvenient.

We were not really accommodated in our request for a rollaway bed – we were apparently put on waiting list and then no one ever contacted us.

We had an old-fashioned, console-type HVAC unit in the room; I think some of the rooms may have more modern (i.e. wall-mounted) temp control. The hotel could use some modernizing in this regard. They old units are a bit loud and the constant drone is annoying.

Speaking of noise, it can be loud in the halls, especially in the summer with big families talking and moving between multiple rooms. You will also hear the next-door rooms through the walls if they’re partying. (Spend as much time at the beach and boardwalk as possible and as little as possible in the room and you’ll be happier.)

The fitness room is just average – four machines and a TV. One of the four machines was out of order during our stay. The pool/sauna area and deck is clean and well maintained. The laundry area is clean and everything worked well.

Note there are no room views to speak of; rooms on one side of the hall face the pool deck and a wooded area, the other faces the parking lot and Route 37.

The free Internet was nice to have and their wireless network was easy to get onto.

One piece of advice: Kids eat free at Holiday Inn, which can be a good deal, but the food is nothing special, and apparently for each kid are under 12, there has to be a paying adult. You may be surprised at how much this bargain costs you. For breakfast at least, a better deal is to drive about a half-mile west on Route 37 to Manhattan Bagel (although the best bagels in the area are at Bayside Bagels on Hooper Avenue in the Silverton section of Toms River, about four miles north of the hotel). Also be aware of the Stop ‘N Shop supermarket just across the road on Route 37.
Lastly, join Priority Club and you get some perks such as quicker check-in and check-out and a free drink.

In summary, it’s nothing fancy, but a solid performer near the beach.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
JerseyGirl166, Marketing Manager at Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore, responded to this review, October 5, 2009
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn of Toms River, and for your review! Just so you know, up to 4 children (ages 12 and under) can eat for free at our Holiday Inn as long as they are accompanied by at least one paying adult. Plus, we currently offer a free hot breakfast buffet to all guests Mon-Fri, Labor Day through Memorial Day. Priority Club members may now enjoy a free hot breakfast buffet every day all year long exclusively at the Holiday Inn Toms River - membership is free. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed 5 nights at the Holiday Inn. It is convenient to the beach, boardwalk, restaurants and shopping. It also has an indoor, heated pool.

Check-in was quick and easy. We requested a refrigerator and it was brought to the room immediately; the room was cleaned each day, etc.

This isn't the first time we stayed at this hotel, and it certainly won't be the last. We really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
#4 of 11 in Toms River
Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms River
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms Ri...
#23 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore? Share your experiences!