“Upscale Italian meal”

Ranked #18 of 339 Restaurants in Toms River
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We had a late lunch at Villa Amalfi on Easter Day, a very busy day for them but they did a commendable job in adding in extra waitstaff for the volume of customers. Villa Amalfi is on the more upscale side of Italian restaurants in this area of NJ, in terms of food quality, decor and service levels; remarkably they keep their prices very competitive. The serving sides were larger than we expected so were equally glad we could take home what we could not finish on the spot. Our large family group sampled a wide variety of dishes, from wild boar (very tender and flavorful without being gamey) to classic veal dishes, gnocchi and pasta for the younger family members, and chicken dishes for the more health conscious. Everyone was delighted with the quality of the meals. The only caution is that everything is priced individually on the menu so when asked “Would you like soup or salad with your meal?” do not make the mistake of thinking they are included with the meal; the service is so smooth that it would be easy to assume so.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

The ratings on this restaurant are very good, however I can't say that I agree. Let me break it down. Full disclosure it was on Easter.

First, starting with the hostess I felt like my presence was a burden. Now I should give a much lower rating, however I know what it's like to work in an Italian restaurant during any holiday. Next, the waiter. He was was very a matter a fact and wasn't the least bit friendly. Maybe it was the Easter rigor. So my service experience was subpar, but I still gave 20%...why because of Easter and my history.

On to the food. The calamari was really good. The mozzarella looked great but the mozzarella itself was ordinary. Veal special was good and so was the veal marsala. On my entry, some how I got Shrimp Fra Diablo with out crushed red pepper in it. The sauce wasn't bad but it appeared to have almost no seasoning. Definitely wasn't what I expected.

Last, the tiramisu was very good. I recommend it.

I was disappointed, but I believe an restaurant is worth a try atleast once. Give it a try for yourself but don't visit your first time on a holiday.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed February 24, 2018

We had a reservation for 20 and we arrived right on time. It was my first time in the Tom River area but restaurant was very easy to find (thank goodness for GPS) with all the turns and traffic to the country bumpkin. The restaurant came recommended by a member of the party, that he has been going there for a long time. As we entered it was apparent the restaurant has been around a long time. BUT a wonderful table presentation, of linen, table settings, along a nice outside light from the multi windows.
Our server was very efficient, not real friendly (never introduced himself) seemed upset. Menus were not enough to go around (why i do not know) so he selected various people to share a menu (by stating "you two can share a menu") and took one of our menus. Later he took our shared menu ("stating you two know what you want") and away he went with our only menu. Mind you this is a great menu and lots of great choices and yes I did not remember what i would like to order and had to get a menu. I know this is trivial but my ice tea never arrived. I later found out it was given to someone else. When we all ordered the meal presentation was spot on. The general consensus the meals were cooked and tasted great. In general food Great server Not so great. Yes I would go back but for the food.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank R W T T
Reviewed February 18, 2018

Since moving to the area a few years ago, Villa Amalfi has become our favorite Italian Restaurant. From the valet parking to the white table cloths to the well dressed wait staff, the restaurant gives you both a cozy and upscale feel.

While sipping our cocktails, dinners begin with a delicious focaccia followed by a diverse menu of Italian appetizers and entrees. Whenever our family visits from out of town, they insist on eating at Villa Amalfi.

We've recently discovered their Early Sunset menu which, when we're in the mood for a late lunch or early (4:30) dinner, is available at a very reasonable price.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed November 19, 2017

My wife and I walk in and the place was empty and the woman asks if we had reservations? We answered no and she starts looking at a sheet of paper with the tables. She walks us in and points to the table where we could sit. She didn't walk us to the table just pointed to the table. Really! My veal chop was tough and my wife's beef was good. The shrimp cocktail had 4 shrimps and they were chewy. My wife's lobster bisque had chewy lobster pieces. The meal was a waste of money. The person who greeted us turns out to be the owner. Asked people next to us and they felt the same about the owners manners and their meal. Will never go back to a place that acts as if they are doing us a favor. Their prices are high and worth the money.

Date of visit: November 2017