“If You Like Peace And Quiet, This Might Not Be The Place For You” 1 of 5 stars

Americana Motel
Americana Motel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Toms River, New Jersey
“If You Like Peace And Quiet, This Might Not Be The Place For You”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I came for an extended stay. There was a death in the family and a will had to be probated. I checked-in on December 31, 2007, and checked-out on May 17, 2010. Yes, I stayed a little longer than I planned-to. From Day One, this place never ceased to amaze me. Fights! Arguments! Disagreements! Cursing! There are 29 rooms, here, but only a small handful rent by the night. The rest are occupied by the manager, her husband and their extended family. Sons, daughters and grandchildren. It is they who are responsible for most of the turmoil, here. These family disagreements can last all day and night!! So, why did I stay so long? The motel is close to shopping, restaurants and a library. Plus, it sits on two major bus routes. Convenience. But the convenience was no match for the loss of sleep I suffered as a direct result of all the anger management issues I encountered, here. The amenities? The Americana is a dreary, drab, old relic from the 1950's and 1960's. My room? It didn't have its own thermostat to adjust the heat, so I was cold, a lot, in the winter. I had half of a wall air conditioner (the other half was under my bed), for the summer. When I complained about it, the manager's husband brought the front part of the air conditioner, but lost interest in attaching it in under two minutes. So, I placed it under my bed. After all, I had no tools. The manager's husband (the Handyman) never returned to finish the job, either. In time I learned that procrastination is a way of life at The Americana. Oh, boy, did I learn!! My shower curtain was badly mildewed, the carpeting (sic!) was stained and dirty and housekeeping was inept. The other tenants (besides the extended family) ran the gamut of pimps, prostittutes, drug addicts, winos, bail jumpers and welfare recipients.
Some had bipolar disorders and one actually had Tourette's Syndrome (he wandered around the parking lot cursing up a blue storm! Mail delivery at The Americana was an "iffy" situation. I'd get my junk mail, but first-class mail often went missing. Same for packages. Oh, back to "housekeeping." If a sheet got torn (natural wear & tear), it was not replaced. Ditto pillowcases and bath towels. I had the same linen on the day I checked-out, as I had on the day I checked-in. The Americana was probably a nice family motel "back in the day." However, now it's just a dump. So, does it sound appetizing to you? Maybe you're on a budget, like I was. If you decide to check-in, bring earplugs. You'll need 'em! Oh, and toilet paper. Housekeeping doesn't supply that important product, either!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Ramada Toms River
#3 of 11 in Toms River
3.5 of 5 stars 1,050 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood

Been to Americana Motel? Share your experiences!