“You can't eat just once at el Familiar!”
Review of El Familiar

El Familiar
Ranked #20 of 298 Restaurants in Toms River
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Our family have been frequenting El Familiar weekly, for years! I usually fall in love with one fish and never try another, when I find something I love. I have fallen in love with three dishes,that I alternate between. The grouper with red sauce, was my first fabulous dish; a bit on the spicy side, the sauce is scrumptious! Grouper and shrimp with tequila lime sauce is so, so good! Love the plantains that come with the dish! Spinach enfrilatas is enjoyed by most of my family, whom are vegetarians; it's one of my favorites also! We just brought our extended family of 14 to El familiar, on Mothers Day and everyone totally enjoyed their meals. BEST SALSA TOO!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I've been a fan of El Familiar for years. I used to visit at lunch-time back when they only had 5 tables in the place (1/2 the current size)- I am so pleased they continue to enjoy success and a new following. Nick the owner is a very nice guy. For lunch, the chicken burrito is about the size of small foot ball..no kidding...it's HUGE and tasty. The salsa/chips are so good, sometimes, I stop and bring an order home...when the craving hits. Give it a try, you will be very happy with it. This is NOT a glorified taco bell...but a true sit down. The closest could come to relating my experience here is when dine in another country. You really feel like you are in a Latin country. (not to mention 1/2 the patrons are Mexican/Spanish too-- a very good sign)-- Believe it or not-- my GF just said " lets get some El Familiar" while I am typing out this review! LOL

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I joined three girlfriends for a weeknight dinner and we had a fabulous time, we ate so much chips and salsa that the huge dinners were a challenge ... But I enjoyed the leftovers. The server was terrific and didn't make us feel like we needed to get moving. She even took a great group photo for us. Mexican food isn't my first choice in dining but I would definitely go back to El Familiar.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I have been coming to El Familiar for years. The food is always prepared fresh and to my special requests with no hesitation. This restaurant has a great family and cozy atmosphere. It is a BYOB restaurant. Nick, the owner, is extremely friendly and makes frequent visits to his guests to make sure they are content with there service and meal. The mixture of Mexican and Columbian dishes allows you to have enormous amounts of choices from the menu. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of food you are provided. Desserts are truly my weakness and are impeccable........Highly recommended and will continue to visit as always. Rob A.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

El Familiar is a great eatery! We go there often and the food is always consistent....hot, yummy and reasonably priced. The owner,Nick is usually there and always greets patrons warmly. Try it!