“A good stay but not perfect”

Comfort Inn Toms River
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Gilbert, Arizona
“A good stay but not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Let me first say that the important things for me...safety and cleanliness were perfectly fine. Beds were comfortable and bedding adequate. The room had a fridge but no microwave. There is one in the breakfast room that I used to heat up leftovers. There are a few hot items for breakfast along with the standard breads, pastries, cereals and hard boiled eggs. I did not turn on the TV so cannot comment on channels. But I will say that the wifi was very disappointing. If I could connect at all, the slowness of the pages loading was unbearable. There is one computer in the lobby area for guest use. Hotel is on RT 37 which is main drag through the area. There are plenty of shopping and dining options nearby.

Room Tip: Be aware that while my room did not smell of smoke, there was a strong smoke smell in the third floo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel is located on the busy Route 37 and is easily spotted at night. There's a small reception, small breakfast room and a single computer for anyone to use.

The rooms are of a reasonable size if a bit dark. There's no in-room safe but there was a noisy refrigerator (had to unplug it overnight). Like many other hotels, there's no spare power outlet near the bed, so if you want to charge your phone overnight you have to do it on the other side of the room which is annoying if it rings or you use it for an alarm. On the plus side, there is a nice big bedside clock radio, so you can see the time clearly. The bathroom is fine with good shower pressure and fairly decent towels.

The wireless internet was very slow though, and sometimes just gave up altogether. Even the receptionist had to use the public computer next to reception to process my check-out as her computer's connection wasn't working.

Breakfast was about average for a cheaper hotel. There was a fair selection with post-mix juices, weak coffee, some breads to toast, scrambled eggs and - on this day - bacon. For some reason most of the chairs had towels over the seats. Don't know why.

There's really not much in the way of places to eat nearby. There is an Italian restaurant right over the street, but thanks to the six foot high mesh fence running down the centre of the road, it becomes a 10 minute hike to reach it.

There was another Italian place further down the road but that's about it within walking distance. But then walking really isn't recommended anyway as they're not keen on sidewalks here. Or street lighting. Or trash collection.

In other words, it's fine to stay here for a night on the way to somewhere better. There's not much choice in and around the Toms River area, so this is probably about as good as you get without paying twice as much.

Room Tip: 101 is next to the breakfast room and lobby with a TV on, so it can be noisy at times.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Pinball_Traveller
Sparrow Bush, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights 1 week before my son school start. Actually this is our second time to stayed at the Comfort Inn Tom Rivers NJ, the first one was last year 2011. Our recent stayed we check in here early and the staffs are very friendlly they give us the room key even if is not check in time yet ,breakfast are good lots of foods to choose from. Pools are nice my son had a great time, room was very clean as usual. It's guarantee that we will stay here again if we going to the Jersey Shore next time.

1 Thank Lyn S
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

stayed two nites aug 22 to 24 rooms were clean .we had 4 other couples with kids also had a very nice stay.would go back in a minute.two suggestions a bigger breadfast room and a few more kids channels on the t.v....disney,nick etc....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jim d
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed one night in a non-smoking, two queen room with our two kids. The room was very clean and, even though it was the first time having our kids in a hotel room, I wasn't weirded out by bathing them in the tub. That's how clean it was. Cleanliness is the highest on our priority list. When my husband went to check for bed bugs, the mattresses were enclosed in some sort of cover. I'm assuming a bed bug cover. That was reassuring. Very few things weren't up to top notch quality. Maybe a few tiny tears on the bed spread (but that just reassured us that they're being washed frequently), a couple of long hairs on the towels (I'm SURE from the cleaning staff when they were folding or setting them up in our room), and a couple of slats on the air conditioning unit were broken. All minor things in our book.

Our stay included a "continental" breakfast. I would consider what they serve well beyond continental! Very nice. Scrambled eggs, sausage, make you own belgian waffles, bagels, english muffins, toast, donuts, fresh fruits, cereals, oatmeal, a juice bar and coffee bar.

The only thing I think they made a poor decision on was the pool area. We can't understand why they built such a small pool, yet they have this huge patio beyond it. I can't imagine how crowded that pool gets on a rainy day. I mean there were two families in it while our 4 yr old was swimming and it was full enough. (~5 adults and 5-6 kids) The pool is indoor, along with a very small (4-5 person) hot tub; but then this huge, beautiful paver patio is right outside. We didn't understand the logic, but also didn't ask. It would prevent us from staying for more than 1-2 nights. I would rather stay at a place (for a longer period of time) that had a larger pool because my kids love the water, and it's a nice option before or after the beach. But for a weekend, it was fine.

The location was so EASY to Seaside Heights boardwalk (10 min drive) and Island Beach State Park (15 min). We ate dinner at the Four Seasons Diner, which was fine and about 10 mins from the hotel. LARGE menu and appropriate atmosphere for young families. Not sure of what else was in the area, but the hotel staff was very friendly and I'm sure would advise.

For the price ($129 + tx on a Thursday nt), we were pleasantly surprised and will stay again.

1 Thank jahemh
Toms River
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our room was supposed to be nonsmoking but it reeked of smoke. Additionally, there was a big tear in the comforter and the side chair was filthy and stained. The carpet was dirty and after five minutes in the room, my wife and I both had headaches. Spend a little more money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Duane S
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have never stayed in a comfort inn before but from what I saw of the area this was the best one for this area. Upon arrival the place stunk of bleach/clorex. The hotel room was dusty and the carpet felt old, along with the furniture and very bouncy bed. It certainly wasn't worth the money. The TV movies didn't work, that bombed out and made it impossible to watch. The AC was either stone cold or switch it off and have heat, there was no control it was a big old unit, we had booked two rooms and the two were similar. The included breakfast was in a small room where tables were hard to come by with a notice saying don't take breakfast to the room, but what choice did most guests have when there are only a handful of tables? Tasteless breakfast with strange cereals, make your own pancakes which I can't comment on cos I didn't have them, yogurt and toast. There appeared to be more food being thrown away than consumed.

As for Seaside Heights and Toms River, I wouldn't go again it wasn't for me. Loud with funfairs everywhere would describe it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,159 reviews
Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Holiday Inn Manahawkin / Long Beach Island

Been to Comfort Inn Toms River? Share your experiences!