Tenafly Diner
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Let me begin with the positive. I like the food here. It is good. Cannot complain about anything I have ever eaten there over the years. I wish it were not necessary for me to write the rest of this review.

I have been going here on occasion for many years and although I enjoy the food, I almost always have found the service to be poor. I just accepted it as a fact of life since it was never so bad that I felt compelled to complain nor write a bad review. However...

I went here back in late November 2013 for breakfast. I was alone, and was seated by someone who looked annoyed that I was there. After waiting 10 minutes in a half empty restaurant, I finally received service. I ordered a breakfast that includes a choice of hot coffee or tea. I drink neither. I asked if I could substitute an iced tea. The waiter checked and returned with an answer of no. Fine. My food came, and it was good. The waiter never returned once.

After waiting 15 minutes, I went to the checkout and told the person there that I would like to pay the check, but since it had not been brought to me it would be difficult to do. Looking annoyed at me and not his waiter, he printed the check and I gave it to me. Since he seemed to be management I asked about the tea substitution. He seemed to care less and said that "it's not our policy to substitute".

Seriously?! Iced tea for hot tea, either are pennies a glass and just as easy to serve. I was not happy with any of this. When I got home later, I wrote them via Facebook and explained my dissatisfaction very nicely and sent it to them. I waited three days for any response at all. When they finally responded, they offered to "make an exception for me" and offered me a gift card. I responded back, politely declining the offer since it took so long to respond at all. I also offered unsolicited advice about customer service based on my many years dealing with customers. Both internal and external customers. I suggested that they not try to sweep away the problem by making exceptions and giving gift cards. I suggested that they just improve the attitude, service and policy. I never hard back from them until today.

Now it is early February 2014, more than two months after the fact and I got a message via Facebook from them that said, "Ok buddy".

To which I told them, "Seriously?! I write you over two months ago explaining myself to you, giving you advice that would be of benefit to you and then I get this response? A snarky "OK buddy"? I suppose this shows how much you care about your customers and now former customers. Truly professional. For what it is worth, it would have been better had you not responded at all."

If you like good food with a large dose of indifference about you and your money, this is the place to go. Otherwise I would stay away. As I am and I will tell anyone who will listen.

2  Thank TellTheTruth2014

Reviewed January 7, 2014

A real old-fashioned diner as I remember growing up. Great variety of breakfast offerings at reasonable prices. Very attentive staff looking to make sure you are taken care of. Busy on a Sunday morning.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a cheerful-looking real old fashioned diner with good "diner food". There's no such thing as a gourmet diner, but this one has food that was tasty and not greasy. I have relatives who live out of state where there are no diners. They never visit without going to at least one here. I'll be sure to tell them about the Tenafly Diner.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed in Tenafly last year and the only place we could find to eat was Dunkin' Donuts in the morning. This year on a repeat stay, I did a little more research before we left and found the Tenafly Classic Diner.

We ordered from our room for delivery while staying at the Clinton Inn Hotel Friday night. The sandwiches we ordered were outstanding. Everything they brought us was perfect, as ordered, and ready for travelers to eat; eating utensils, plenty of napkins, condiments etc.

We enjoyed the dinner so much, and the prices of course, that we chose to eat there the next morning upon departure.

This restaurant is amazingly clean, the staff are wonderful, and the food is just outstanding. We even left a tip for the very attentive bus boy...outstanding. We both had omelets that were to die for.

If you are unsure about eating at this restaurant, don't be. Go and enjoy!!!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Haven't been to one in a while, and this place reinforced what I love about American diners: good service, good plentiful food! Service was very good even when my friend and I were seated in a remote corner of the place. The burgers we had were also very good: my friend is vegetarian and she had the black bean burger which she said were excellent. Would happily come here again.