“What a great surprise!”

Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tenafly
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Just came back from a Fun and Fuel package at the Clinton Inn. #3 of us shared a double queen room. The room was very clean, well appointed and had terrific beds. The package was $149/night plus tax. We received a package of handmade chocolates (OK we had to ask for them, but they were fantastici!!),
a $25 gas card for the Exxon across the street, and 2 buffet breakfasts (our 3rd person had to pay $13.95).
This place is an absolute BARGAIN.
They are about to go through a large scale renovation, but even as slightly worn as it may be, it is very attractive and an elegant place to stay.
Highly recommend staying here!

1  Thank Sheg

A TripAdvisor Member
Old Forge, PA
Reviewed December 3, 2005

This hotel was a charming large Inn with a striking lobby. The location is in a "village" like town called Tenafly. It's very close to the corporate area of Englewood Cliffs where I was going on business. I was checked-in by a young front desk clerk who was friendly, and welcoming. My room was ready and I was given a small bag of specialty chocolates along with my key. I was also told I would receive a complimentary breakfast the next morning as one of the benefits of the hotels corporate program called Innsiders.(I found out the company that had made my reservation was on this corporate program at the the hotel). When I got to my room it was very clean, large, and decorated with traditional furniture. During my stay I did not use the free internet service, but did appreciate that there was a iron and ironing board in the closet and free Starbucks bags of coffee. I made a pot that night.

In the evening I walked into the town of Tenafly which is accross the street from the hotel. There was a CVS, bookstore,movie theatre and gift shops in the town. I ate dinner in a converted train station that was now a French cafe. The food was ok, not great.

The next morning I enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the hotels dining room. I've never seen a "Asian" buffet breakfast before, but the waiter said it was there because many of the guests that stay at the hotel are from Japan and Korea. I stuck with the eggs, bacon, bagels and fresh fruit.

Overall a delightful stay. I felt safe and comfortable in the hotel and the town. A very different experience then staying in a hotel off the NJ highway as I did in the past.

I recommend the Clinton Inn Hotel to anyone who wants a place that feels like home.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed November 28, 2005

The Clinton Inn Hotel is a wonderful venue for kosher meetings and conferences. I have organized two retreats at the hotel during the past six months and have already booked my next event!

The hotel staff are friendly, courteous and display a committment to providing the best quality of sevice possible. The sales manager was very helpful during the pre-planning of the events, suggesting which rooms and set-ups would facilitate smooth functioning. My instructions were followed through 100%.

The maitre'd is well versed in kashrut, providing washing stations and waiting for me to open the wrapping on all food items. The service was very prompt and extremely attentive.

The hotel is easily accessible to both Newark and La Guardia airports and provides beautifully appointed sleeping and meeting rooms. The events exceeded my expectations and it was truly delightful to work with such a highly professional staff.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 7, 2005

I have stayed at the Clinton Inn numerous times over the past few years, and it's always been about the same. Despite the word "Inn" in the name, it is not a charming local hotel but an ordinary, chain-like hotel. Bathrooms are slightly dingy, TV remotes are a bit flaky, etc. Plenty of space, though, and there is free "high-speed" internet in the rooms, which is great, except that the connection is slow and fails often, as if perhaps they are sharing a single DSL line with the entire hotel. Still, it's nice to have.

In comparison with the Crowne Plaza in Englewood (the other hotel in the area that I have stayed at), the Clinton Inn is quieter and slightly cleaner, but has less amenities, slightly less snazzy-looking furnishings, and is more expensive, so it's sort of a toss up.

Note the Clinton Inn seems to get booked solid most Saturdays (perhaps for local Bar Mitzvahs or weddings?), so plan in advance if you plan to be there on a Saturday.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Tripadvisor M
Reviewed October 1, 2005

I stayed at the Clinton Inn Hotel for two evenings to attend a rehearsal dinner and wedding. The hotel was clean, the rooms were spacious, room service was hot, tasty and timely. The rehearsal dinner appetizers and meal were very good as well. The only staff member I talked with was at the registration desk. While he was not effusive in his welcome (there were almost 30 rooms booked for the event I was attending, I expected a little enthusiasm), he was competent and helpful.

I, too, experienced the knock of a housekeeper at 8:15 am on the morning of the wedding, but I had forgotten to put the "DND" sign on the door. The bartender was briefly MIA when we tried to pay the bill on Saturday evening, but appeared after a moment. The only downside of my experience was that the room wasn't sound proof enough for the deep bass vibration/thrumming of music during the evening, but it wasn't coming from my hallway or outside. I never found the source of the music--I was happy exhausted and fell fast asleep.

Before I left home, I checked TripAdvisor, and was very concerned about what I would encounter there. (When I checked, the ratings were available but comments were not.) The hotel is definitely not worthy of a 1 ranking. After my visit, I would recommend the Clinton Inn Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005
Reviewed September 26, 2005

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a friend's wedding. Overall, the hotel was attractive. It was also clean. The room's were nicely furnished and comfortable. But the staff made it less than appealing. There were two main problems.

Problem #1: The Housekeeping Staff.
These people were exceptional at making you feel like you were in the way. Being at a wedding, there were many late night activities going on so the majority of us wedding guests made a point of putting the "Do Not Disturb" signs on our doors each evening. Personally, this hotel shouldn't even bother with Do Not Disturb signs. They're blatantly ignored as we found (and heard from the majority of our fellow wedding guests).

Each morning at 8 am, my husband & I were awoken not by our trusty alarm clock but by the sight of a housekeeper in our room, while we were still in bed. 20 minutes later, while dressing and preparing for our day, the housekeeper would come waltzing in again and again. Until we finally left our room for the day (and its not like we were sleeping in 'till 10 am every morning).

The day of the wedding (black tie affair), many of the wedding guests requested a late check out. I was in the process of dressing when, once again, I had the pleasure of having housekeeping barge into my room while I'm standing in the bathroom in my undergarments. I went out into the hall and told the housekeeper I would not be checking out until 1 pm and could she hold off until then? I then had to head down to my car for something. When I returned, my door was wide open, my purse sitting right there in the doorway and no one to be found. Thank God no one strolled by and swiped my purse. Along with many other wedding guests that day, I felt uncomfortable by the constant interruption of housekeeping and felt that I was interrupting their work. So, forget about the late checkout. We all opted to get out of there and sit in the lobby for a few hours.

Problem #2 - The Hotel Restaurant
The hotel has a restaurant called Christino's Grill (I believe). The entire bridal party, groom, groom's parents and spouses of the bridal party headed down there for breakfast the morning of the wedding. It was a nightmare. All 15 of us were blatantly ignored for 40 minutes. Three separate people at the table got up and asked the manager for service. Eventually, we grabbed a pitcher of water, glasses and place settings off other tables and tried to fend for ourselves. In total, breakfast took over 2 hours. Our drinks took 30 minutes to arrive. We waited another 20 minutes for coffee creamer. It was the poorest service I have ever experienced and, at the time, there were only two other (small) parties seated in the restaurant.

On our way out, we informed the manager that we had a groom sitting at our table that was getting married that morning, and now he was running late. The manager shrugged, never apologized and simply told us they were busy. Busy doing what? Well, from what we saw, one waiter was folding napkins, another was busy setting empty tables and two were hanging out in the kitchen. Now, mind you, this wedding had brought 2 full floors of business to this hotel, not to mention a rehearsal dinner for 50+ guests the evening prior. The manager never apologized for the service or even offered to cover the groom's wedding day breakfast.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone in the future.

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank Wubba1108
Reviewed August 30, 2005

We stayed at The Clinton Inn about 5 years ago and had a bad experience at that time. We travel to Tenafly 2/3 times a year and have tried most of the hotels in the area. We thought we would give The Clinton Inn another try. We arrived late Friday night, August 12, 2005 and departed on Tuesday morning the 16th. It was a hot and rainy weekend. The airconditioning did not cool the room. The bathroom was not clean. It looked as if the bathtub/shower had mold or at least dirt. The bedding was not clean. On Sunday there were terrible storms, and many areas of Tenafly lost power, but the hotel did not. We were out all day on Monday, ate dinner in downtown Tenafly and got back to the hotel about 9 PM. No Power, just emergency lighting. No airconditioning, no TV, no hot water, no elevator. When we called the front desk, we were told that the power had been off since mid afternoon and they did not know when the power would be turned on. We were told that the entire town had lost power. Not so, we ate dinner but a couple of blocks away and the restaurant had power. The next morning I said I was not going to pay for a room that supplied none of the things advertised. A/C, TV, Hot Water, etc. I was told that I had to pay because, and they actually played the "Act of God" card, it was not their fault. After much discussion and explanation on my part about how you treat a customer, the manager took $25.00 off the bill. Big Deal! Never will I ever stay at this bad excuse for a hotel again.

4  Thank leaseman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenafly
Best Western Fort Lee
#3 of 6 in Fort Lee
Midtown
Cambria Hotel & Suites - New York Times Square
Cambria Hotel & Suites - New Yor...
#102 of 471 in New York City
Chelsea
Cambria hotel & suites New York - Chelsea
Cambria hotel & suites New York ...
#46 of 471 in New York City

Been to Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center? Share your experiences!