“Very nice hotel, quaint town within walking distance”

Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tenafly
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I had a choice to stay at a couple of hotels and this one was close to town and the front desk was nice. I really enjoyed my staff and was glad I had my shole group stay there. Palmers was excellent! I liked that the town has different food options and a movie theatre. The van driver, I think his name was Bob, was very friendly and accomodating. He got us to/from our meeting and to dinner with no problems. The rooms were nice and cozy.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 9, 2009

This hotel looks like it should be a suburban oasis. But the front faces a busy street where buses pass by inches away, 24 hours a day. And in the back parking lot the tour buses that are loading and unloading the sports teams are beeping loudly while they back up (at midnight!) and idling their engines and loudly turning off their air brakes at 6 am. The noisiest place I have ever stayed. Bring earplugs!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank DM-66439
Reviewed July 4, 2009

The location of this hotel is great with some great restaurants nearby in Tenafly. So if you need somewhere to stay in the region here is ok. But don't eat at Palmers Crossing restaurant. The food is terrible.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2009

The service was really very accomodating, they could not do enough to make my staff great! Soma was so professional and nice! The rooms were warm and inviting and the location in Tenafly, NJ allowed me to wak in to town. Palmers was a good restaurant with a great wine list!
The best thing was the staff!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Some family members were staying at this hotel for a week or so, and my husband and I took a room here for one night during their stay so that we could have a small family get-together. Overall, I liked this hotel.

First of all, our experience with the front desk personnel was positive. My husband drove us to Tenafly from Central NJ, and we got off at the wrong exit of 95, north of the Turnpike, having accidentally gotten into the Express lanes. I called the hotel on my cell phone, and reached a very pleasant and helpful desk clerk who gave me directions to get back on track. A short time later, we arrived at the hotel and she greeted us pleasantly. When I requested a refrigerator to be placed in our room, she responded immediately and the fridge was already in our room when we walked in.

The room looked like a standard motel room, with 2 queen beds, and was clean and spacious. It looked to me as if it had been recently re-decorated. The bathroom was sparkling clean except for one thing - the toilet bowl still held a few tiny, er, "remnants" from the previous user. I shrugged it off and flushed the toilet. Everything else was clean and well-stocked. My husband and I each used the shower and it was delightful.
The spray and the water temperature were just right.

Our room overlooked the parking lot but we never heard any noise from it.

We had arrived around 9 PM and we visited briefly with the other folks in our party until 10:00.
There had been a wedding reception at the hotel earlier that day, and we chatted pleasantly for a couple of minutes with some of the party-goers when we encountered some of them in the hallway. They seemed nice, but it turned out that they were inconsiderate hotel guests.. It was lovely and quiet from 10:00 - 11:30 PM that night, when I was sitting up reading in my room (my husband was sleeping). But not long after I turned out the light to go to sleep, all of a sudden the other guests near our room got very noisy! First I heard a tapping noise, then a loud banging that went on and on.
It finally dawned on me that someone was knocking on someone else's door.
Then it stopped, but then I heard loud voices for a few minutes. Then I started to fall back to sleep, but then the knocking and banging sounds began again! My husband (who was also awakened) and I were both too groggy to call the desk to complain. Eventually the noise stopped, but by then I was too disturbed to sleep. It took a LONG time for me to fall back to sleep after that. It really bothers me when people make so much noise late at night, never thinking about the people who are trying to sleep!
But this is not the fault of the hotel folks.

Fortunately, I was able to sleep until 9 AM and I didn't end up being too sleep-deprived after all. I had breakfast in the hotel dining room, "Palmer's Crossing". I have to tell you, the food and the service were fabulous! Yes, it is pricey, but you really do get your money's worth! I was very impressed!

After checkout at noon, we spent the rest of the day on Sunday with our family members in various places. There is a nice "conversation area" in the hotel lobby that we used for awhile, and we were very comfortable there. There is plenty of free parking on the premises.

Overall, my impression of the Clinton Inn is very favorable!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2008

This is a long story of our experienced in this hotel. I wanted to write in detail so you can tell me if you won't be annoyed staying this hotel!!!!This is really what happened to us for 9 days we stayed here.

Upon our check-in/arrival I told the lady in the front desk we are one of the guests of our host (I dont want to mention his name for obvious reason) a manager emerged from the office and confirmed everything and the lady told us that we are all set and everythings been taken care of. She just asked for my credit card just in case I will be using e.g the phone or order food - so that was fine with me.
My host booked us with two rooms (with connecting door) for 9 nights (Bless him really) maybe because we have young kids and he wants us to be comfortable for the whole duration of our stay in this hotel. The hotel gave us the first floor (the room numbers sounds familiar, where one of the guest commented here as well at trip advisory-warning the rooms terrible) - we thought we were very impressed the room spacious and very clean but not until we already settled in - the toilet in one room was clogged up, one phone on top of the writing desk was not working, the other phone on top of the night table doesn't have any indication whatsoever!, when my son pushed the botton switch of the t.v to turn it on - the botton went all the way in - in fairness the manager sorted all these out immediately - I just kept my mouth shut and told my host that everythings perfect when he came to visited us in the hotel.
The hotel issued us 4 card keys (for two rooms) but everytime we go out and come back the keys were not working we have to keep on going back to the front desk to re-activate them again or they would issue us another set of 4, believe me we can do a deck of cards with it cause they don't retrieve the old ones from us - the hotel reason : make sure don't let the keys be near a mobile phones or any magnetic things - we sure follow the instruction but still didn't work.
One night we woke up there was no hot water!!!! the lady in the reception told us this is going to be deal with in the morning! wwhhhaaat!!!! Lucky we have a kettle which my good friend lent to us for heating my baby's milk....and not to mentioned the noise you can hear from the parking lot some of them were screaming maybe because their drunk or something from a party - the ballroom or the party room is just near our room you can hear loud music - whheeew!!! Our kids would wake up in the middle of the night crying!!!!BUT still no complain from me!
Oh thats not it !!!! the worst still yet to come - on the night before our check out - I called up the reception to informed him we are checking out at 6:00 a.m (to catch our plane back home) so I need to know if we have an outstanding balance to pay - I admit of using the phones for about 5x and thats it nothing else (it cost $0.75/call). The man said I have an outstanding balance of $195.00!!! Obviously shocked!!!So instead I went to the reception to find it out! I met this clerk named DANIEL , he was the man I spoke with on the phone. I told him that can't be right if he can check it once again - he looked at me as if I am speaking alien!And looked back in the computer and said to me "You have a balance of $17.45" still not right using only the phone for 5x won't cost me that much! I asked him if he can tell me whats that charges for - would you belive "he told me he can not give me that detail"!!!!! My anger was starting to build up. I demand to know cause obviously I am the paying customer and finally he told me I ordered ONE AMERICAN BREAKFAST for $10.00 which is the same day and time my husband bought breakfast from our favourite coffee shop nearby the hotel - SOMEONE charge their food in our room!! after a long exhausting battle with this rude clerk he reversed the charges, so that left me $7.45 well thats fine with me - I told him not to charged it to me card cause the amount is too ridiculously small to be charged on my card so I paid in cash - so I thought everythings settled! So when we woke up at 5 a.m rushing to dress up the kids and the last minute packing we saw a bill inserted both underneath our door - an outstanding balance of $387.98...I have to prepare ourselves first to make sure we wont be late for our flight. I went to talk to DANIEL again all he did was shrugged his shoulder and RUDELY said "Well, the host you're talking about only paid until a certain date and you have to pay the remaining days" I told him to double check it again cause I saw the paper my host had signed before we checked in - but all he did was smirked and again shrugged his shoulder - this time I was very very furious! I couldnt confirmed this to my host because it was still too early in the morning to call him (I know in my heart my host wouldn't do that to me) I told this rude clerk - didn't I asked the night before about my outstanding balance so I don't want to rush settling it in the morning and ARROGANTLY respond "You only asked for your balance last night" whhhhaaat!!!! I don't know why Clinton Inn hired you!!!!...My kids were freezing cold outside the cab and we might be late to our flight so I just let him charged it to my card....I was so stressout dealing with this ARROGANT, RUDE CLERK and it affected my whole trip to London!!!!
As soon as we arrived, I immediately called up my host just to make sure they will not charged his card as well BUT my host assured me everythings were paid for by him!!!!!He contacted the Manager and the amount was reversed to my card!NOT JUST THAT!!! I found out from my bank there was another amount charged to me of $387.15 (the first one was $387.98) AND ANOTHER ONE OF $18.60 and yes folks AND ANOTHER ONE OF $17.85 all from the same merchant CLINTON INN - HOW ANNOYING WAS THAT!!!!! I called up the Manager myself and I told him what had happenend from the begining - he was very apologetic on behalf of his staff - but I don't think he understood everything I told him cause the other amount was not reverse to me yet so I have to chase him again he said he didnt know about the other amount promised to reversed it...again I called the bank theres stil an outstanding balance of £25.00 this include the $18.60(?) plus the currency difference that already incurred. For me I dont mind anymore paying for the currency difference BUT for the $18.60 that I never knew about!!!This is just a small amount BUT THE PRINCIPLE OF IT IS THAT that rude man just charged my card nilly-willy!!!! and I don't want to pay something that I never know about!!!!This time I am already angry to the manager as well because aside from calling America that cost me chasing them had already push me to the limit so I demand for a $50.00 compensation to be paid on my card...oh yes only $50.00 (their lucky that I didnt ask for a thousand dollar compensation) for all the stress that this hotel had given me - the manager had agreed to pay that amount...after three days I called the bank again the only amount that was reversed was the $18.60 (thats not $50.00 isnt it)....I AM FED UP!!! I still have an outstanding balance of £12.89 (currency difference) but because the bank knew what had happenend they were kind enough to waived the rest of the balance!!!!!And send me a new card number.
SO MY ADVISED : BE CAREFUL IN GIVING YOUR CREDIT CARD TO THIS HOTEL ESPECIALLY TO THIS CLERK NAME "DANIEL" - check the detail before you approve to pay. OR BETTER DEAL DIRECTLY TO THE MANAGER.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel two nights. Both nights, I could hear a lot of noise coming from a ballroom just below my room. This hotel was badly designed, the architect forgot that many people wish to sleep at night. On the first night, I could hear the noise from some kind of bingo game, on the second, it was loud music from a party. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank biz99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenafly
Best Western Fort Lee
#3 of 6 in Fort Lee
Midtown
Cambria Hotel & Suites - New York Times Square
Cambria Hotel & Suites - New Yor...
#101 of 471 in New York City
Chelsea
Cambria hotel & suites New York - Chelsea
Cambria hotel & suites New York ...
#45 of 471 in New York City

Been to Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center? Share your experiences!