“MOTS (More of the Same)”

Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tenafly
NH
“MOTS (More of the Same)”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

If you have read the previous reviews that address the poor customer service at this "hotel" (read motel), my review will not hold any surprises for you. We received a lukewarm greeting at reception. We checked into a room that considering that it was in a suburban locale, was somewhat small, with a bathroom that was second only to airplane toilets in its compact size. (The towel rack was inside the shower.) To be fair, it was pleasantly decorated, resonably clean and odor free.

The desk staff was unresponsive to our requests. In addition, when housekeeping did not replace the towels they removed, we were told there was nothing they could do about it. We ordered room service for breakfast from the express menu thinking this would simplify the order process. They made multiple mistakes on both days. All the food was wrapped in clear plastic wrap in what I imagine was an attempt to deliver it to the room warm. They only succeeded in making already mediocre food look and taste like cafeteria food.

Additionally, the wireless internet reception was poor to the point of being unusable. This is a good hotel if you are looking for a clean bed and little else. If you are looking for anything beyond that, I recommend you take your money elsewhere.

• Liked — Non-smoking room was actually a non-smoking room
  • Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Carmichael, California
Reviewed October 5, 2006

Perhaps I am biased as I grew ip in Tenafly. I remember when the Clinton Inn was an old wooden building and my father took us to dinner there. But, that is a long time ago and the present facility is what we are talking about. I was in Tenafly for my 55th high school reunion and as in the past previous reunions were also held here. Everything was excellent regarding the accomodations. We had a special rate and the normal rates can be high. However, the hotel is away from the major highways and is in a quiet location as Tenafly has always been.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — None
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Norwalk, CT
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Just came back from a Fun and Fuel package at the Clinton Inn. #3 of us shared a double queen room. The room was very clean, well appointed and had terrific beds. The package was $149/night plus tax. We received a package of handmade chocolates (OK we had to ask for them, but they were fantastici!!),
a $25 gas card for the Exxon across the street, and 2 buffet breakfasts (our 3rd person had to pay $13.95).
This place is an absolute BARGAIN.
They are about to go through a large scale renovation, but even as slightly worn as it may be, it is very attractive and an elegant place to stay.
Highly recommend staying here!

1 Thank Sheg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 3, 2005

This hotel was a charming large Inn with a striking lobby. The location is in a "village" like town called Tenafly. It's very close to the corporate area of Englewood Cliffs where I was going on business. I was checked-in by a young front desk clerk who was friendly, and welcoming. My room was ready and I was given a small bag of specialty chocolates along with my key. I was also told I would receive a complimentary breakfast the next morning as one of the benefits of the hotels corporate program called Innsiders.(I found out the company that had made my reservation was on this corporate program at the the hotel). When I got to my room it was very clean, large, and decorated with traditional furniture. During my stay I did not use the free internet service, but did appreciate that there was a iron and ironing board in the closet and free Starbucks bags of coffee. I made a pot that night.

In the evening I walked into the town of Tenafly which is accross the street from the hotel. There was a CVS, bookstore,movie theatre and gift shops in the town. I ate dinner in a converted train station that was now a French cafe. The food was ok, not great.

The next morning I enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the hotels dining room. I've never seen a "Asian" buffet breakfast before, but the waiter said it was there because many of the guests that stay at the hotel are from Japan and Korea. I stuck with the eggs, bacon, bagels and fresh fruit.

Overall a delightful stay. I felt safe and comfortable in the hotel and the town. A very different experience then staying in a hotel off the NJ highway as I did in the past.

I recommend the Clinton Inn Hotel to anyone who wants a place that feels like home.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 28, 2005

The Clinton Inn Hotel is a wonderful venue for kosher meetings and conferences. I have organized two retreats at the hotel during the past six months and have already booked my next event!

The hotel staff are friendly, courteous and display a committment to providing the best quality of sevice possible. The sales manager was very helpful during the pre-planning of the events, suggesting which rooms and set-ups would facilitate smooth functioning. My instructions were followed through 100%.

The maitre'd is well versed in kashrut, providing washing stations and waiting for me to open the wrapping on all food items. The service was very prompt and extremely attentive.

The hotel is easily accessible to both Newark and La Guardia airports and provides beautifully appointed sleeping and meeting rooms. The events exceeded my expectations and it was truly delightful to work with such a highly professional staff.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed November 7, 2005

I have stayed at the Clinton Inn numerous times over the past few years, and it's always been about the same. Despite the word "Inn" in the name, it is not a charming local hotel but an ordinary, chain-like hotel. Bathrooms are slightly dingy, TV remotes are a bit flaky, etc. Plenty of space, though, and there is free "high-speed" internet in the rooms, which is great, except that the connection is slow and fails often, as if perhaps they are sharing a single DSL line with the entire hotel. Still, it's nice to have.

In comparison with the Crowne Plaza in Englewood (the other hotel in the area that I have stayed at), the Clinton Inn is quieter and slightly cleaner, but has less amenities, slightly less snazzy-looking furnishings, and is more expensive, so it's sort of a toss up.

Note the Clinton Inn seems to get booked solid most Saturdays (perhaps for local Bar Mitzvahs or weddings?), so plan in advance if you plan to be there on a Saturday.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank Tripadvisor M
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 1, 2005

I stayed at the Clinton Inn Hotel for two evenings to attend a rehearsal dinner and wedding. The hotel was clean, the rooms were spacious, room service was hot, tasty and timely. The rehearsal dinner appetizers and meal were very good as well. The only staff member I talked with was at the registration desk. While he was not effusive in his welcome (there were almost 30 rooms booked for the event I was attending, I expected a little enthusiasm), he was competent and helpful.

I, too, experienced the knock of a housekeeper at 8:15 am on the morning of the wedding, but I had forgotten to put the "DND" sign on the door. The bartender was briefly MIA when we tried to pay the bill on Saturday evening, but appeared after a moment. The only downside of my experience was that the room wasn't sound proof enough for the deep bass vibration/thrumming of music during the evening, but it wasn't coming from my hallway or outside. I never found the source of the music--I was happy exhausted and fell fast asleep.

Before I left home, I checked TripAdvisor, and was very concerned about what I would encounter there. (When I checked, the ratings were available but comments were not.) The hotel is definitely not worthy of a 1 ranking. After my visit, I would recommend the Clinton Inn Hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenafly
Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus
Royal Regency Hotel
Royal Regency Hotel
#5 of 6 in Yonkers
Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers

Been to Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center? Share your experiences!