“Dusty,Stinky, &Outdated: Not suitable, even for business travel”

Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Teaneck
Southern California
“Dusty,Stinky, &Outdated: Not suitable, even for business travel”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my second business trip to New Jersey this year. I flew into Newark, rented a car and this time, followed my coworkers to the Teaneck Marriot at Glenpointe. This time, I was doing business in the nearby cities of Engelwood, Teterboro, and Port Jervis NY (long drive). To say the least, I was disappointed. I had to stay for 6 days, and as soon as I checked into my super old outdated room with very minimal furnishings, I wished that I had stayed at the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights, as I did this past Jan. This hotel is fully redesigned downstairs in the lobby, however the rooms haven't been touched in what looks like 20 years. The carpet was a major turn off.

My first morning I woke up to my carpet soaking wet due to a leak. I didn't have time to deal with the situation because I had to leave to an onsite pilot at 7AM (which felt like 4AM to me). I returned to my room, all my luggage was soaked and my room smelled of mildew. Just great! I had to switch rooms, and wasn't upgraded, got another dusty old smelly room with questionable looking carpet.

The bed was old, not very comfortable, the bathroom was old and outdated. These types of bathrooms give me the hibbie jebbiez. There weren't any great amenity products to speak of. There was restaurant and a lounge downstairs, which comes in handy. The food was pretty good. I’m a vegetarian, and I had a lot of great choices.

You would think that if you are traveling for business, as most people staying here do, the Marriot would offer free internet/ WIFI. Well, they charged me over $50 bucks for the week. A huge annoyance for me in comparison to the Hilton which offered free internet during my last trip Jan.

My only good review is on the customer service. Michele at the front desk was sweet, gracious, and patient with me during all my debockles here.

If you have to travel for business, I wouldn't stay here. Traveling is a hassle, and the last thing you want to do is live somewhere for 6 days that is crummy. I would recommend either the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights, OR the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend staying here more than 2 nights.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rtscent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Pikesville, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Reserved using AAA aand got a good rate for NY metro area. No parking fee also a bonus.
Had to leave after 1 night instead of the planned two and they were very courteous and understanding.
One problem. room across from vending and ice maker which was quite noisy wnenevr it was used which it was until late at night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Doug S, General Manager at Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your recent trip. It is always great to see that our guests' enjoy their stay. I am sorry that you had a slight noise issue and we hope that your next stay with us is much better. We hope to have you with us again and we appreciate you taking the time to review us.

Warm regards,

RALEIGH
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed three night there at the weekend.

The room was cold and when the heater does not work well. Although they came to fix that, they could not repair that and we did not sleep in a warm room for a night.

The breakfast was good but expensive. I recommend to book with the breakfast, because it is cheaper. it should be about 10 dollars if you book advance, otherwise, They would charge you 18 dollars for breakfast buffet

You can go to NY downtown by NJ transit buses (route 167, $4.5 per person). It takes about 20 minutes if there is no traffic.

The hotel has 14 stories I guess and the lobby was really big and nice. The gym and the pool were really good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Seyed H
Wethersfield, CT
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I try to stay at a Marriott whenever possible. I had business in Teaneck early this morning and decided to stay at the Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe the night before instead of fighting traffic. I reserved and paid for the room using Marriott Rewards points that I had accumulated.

Those with a Marriott Rewards account know that when you reserve, there is a section where your preferences can be noted. For instance, my indicates that I prefer a quiet room on a higher floor. The higher floor thing is not a necessity...it's just that I've noticed it's quieter the higher your go. The quiet room thing is a necessity, as certain machine noises prevent me from sleeping.

Upon arrival, I was given a room on the 3rd floor. Not caring too much that it was on a lower floor, especially after a 4 hour drive, I went up to the room to find that it is next to the "electrical room", and that room buzzes loudly (there's a loud transformer or something in there which is in need of service or repair, because it should not be that loud). The buzz is so loud that you hear it in the room with the door closed. I immediately left and went downstairs to the front desk, and the rep there moved me to a much quieter room on the 8th floor. My point in mentioning this is it indicates 1) that the folks at the hotel do not refer to your Marriott Rewards preferences and/or 2) they figure it's okay to put you into a crappy room because you're paying with points. Either issue should be addressed and adjusted.

I had dinner last night and breakfast this morning at the hotel's restaurant and they were very good. I think the breakfast buffet is somewhat overpriced (unless you're a huge guy with a gigantic appetite and can eat $20.00 worth of breakfast fare), but there really are no options for restaurants nearby.

Internet access is free in the lobby, but not in your room. I could see charging for internet access if this was 2002, but in this day and age charging extra for internet access seems cheap and contrary to the Marriott philosophy. Just add the extra "cost" to the room rate.

The hotel in general, and my room, were very clean and my room was huge. The mattress was too soft for me, but that's a personal preference.

Room Tip: Unless you are hearing impaired, stay out of room 321. It's located right next to the loud &quo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mmvoicever
Doug S, General Manager at Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. This is the kind of information that allows us to continue to listen to our guests and make the necessary changes. I assure you that we do the very best we can to accomodate all preferences and unfortunately we fell short with yours. For this we sincerely apologize.

We make sure that guests are comfortable and regardless of their method of payment, we want their stay to be enjoyable. In terms of your comment on the breakfast pricing we will absolutely take that into consideration and do our very best to bring value to our patrons. The internet charge at this time is a Marriott guideline, but I will personally forward your comment to the decision makers in that area. Again our apologies and please come again so that we have an opportunity to better serve you.

Warmest regards,

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a family affair to attend & the Marriott was centrally located to the event. The rooms were spacious, clean & quiet. The staff was most helpful & no request was to small or to difficult to make happen. We would stay there again without hesitation.

1 Thank midgick
Doug S, General Manager at Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
It is always wonderful to see another satisfied guest share their great experience with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to offer you everything you needed to make your stay memorable. Here at the Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe, our guests are our priority and we go above and beyond to make you feel at home. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to have you again with us in the future.

Warm Regards,

Minnesota
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a typical Marriot. Nice lobby, great restaurant for breakfast. Service was prompt and friendly throughout the hotel. Rooms are average and could use a refresh. I would stay here again if I was in the area. I wouldn't go to far out of my way to come back.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We thank you for staying with us and noting all of the positive things our hotel has to offer. We take pride in our location and our warm and friendly staff. The rooms are also part of our renovation project and we are excited to offer our guests a brand new state of the art guestroom in the very near future. Thank again for your business and we hope to have you again with us soon.

Warm Regards,

Barre, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip and took the wife and 8 year old. Have to pay for WiFi which didn't make sense as they tend to cater to the business traveler. Free parking is nice and the bis stops in their parking lot taking you to the port authority in N.Y. I highly advise o do this if you plan to see the city. Pool is not part of the hotel but is connected. It only has a 2 hour window for kids to swim. No continental breakfast. Big clean rooms and friendly staff.

1 Thank nofearjk70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Teaneck
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park
Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood
Holiday Inn GW Bridge-Fort Lee NYC Area
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park
#2 of 2 in Ridgefield Park

Been to Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe? Share your experiences!