“Good place for BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
New England
“Good place for BBQ”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We needed a kosher restaurant in Teaneck to meet family members who eat only kosher.
This is a pleasant environment with excellent food, generous (though not huge) portions and a very varied menu. Service was very slow, but this was not a problem for us, as we were meeting family and wanted to relax and talk. My only reservation was that a beer would have been nice with this type of food and none was available.
Our meals ranged among burgers, chili, brisket, chicken and ribs.
If we return to Teaneck for a similar get together, this is likely where we will come.
Toilets were clean, the area itself was pleasant and parking was relatively easy to find.

• Visited April 2013

Monsey, New York
“Not baby-friendly”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I brought my own baby food to the restaurant to feed my 7 month-old. My other kids and I were seated and I pulled out the baby food and was informed "no outside food allowed." The manager expected me to stand outside and feed my baby. There was no, "I'm so sorry," no offer of where I might find a bench, just "no outside food." Why? Because it's a kosher restaurant and my kosher baby food might somehow contaminate the kitchen. Even though I was not even setting the bowl on the table. I met my husband outside and informed him of the service and suggested we go somewhere else. He started talking to the manager and the manager said "I don't know why you would bring a baby to a restaurant anyway." My husband guessed that Smokey Joe's isn't really a family restaurant after all since the baby is part of our family and yet, not welcome at Smokey Joe's. My family and I left the restaurant. We won't be going back. Smokey Joe's, if you don't want people bringing baby food, OFFER SOMETHING BABIES CAN EAT.
However, I have eaten here in the past and the food was ok.

• Visited August 2012