“A happy accident”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Swedesboro
Chesapeake, Virginia
“A happy accident”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Found this hotel, or should I say my GPS found this hotel while traveling up Jersey Turnpike. Had enough of driving so I found the closest place. Turns out it was 6 miles from turnpike, it's right off the Garden State Parkway. But I'd called, they'd given me a good military/government rate discount price over the phone so I went.
Nice location, has a Wawa and a couple of fast food type places next to it for breakfast.
Lobby looked decent enough, front desk folks were friendly, free water bottles and papers. Was a bit worried when I got off the elevator, carpet in hallway had seen better days, baseboards (or the plastic equivilent) were gone.
Got into room, it was clean, smelled good, bed was comfortable. Had a beer at the bar, it was cheap and cold. Wi-fi worked well for me.
Didn't sample the restaurant, had breakfast at the aforementioned Wawa. Would recommend overall, would also like to see it once they finish renovating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HISwedesboro, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Philadelphia South-Swedesboro, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Tomandjc,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Holiday Inn Philadelphia South Swedesboro. We are glad your GPS found us. I apologize for the looks of the hallway carpet, as you already know we are in the process of replacing it. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you
Dana Gilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Glassboro, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We, at Save A Yorkie Rescue, held our annual event in Swedesboro and had many families, and their dogs, stay over at the Holiday Inn, and had a great experience. Our founders brought two large cakes and the hotel staff put it in their refrigerator units. Just great service!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Victor M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. It was an absolute pleasure having you and your furry friends stay with us. We look forward to accommodating you again in the future. Again, Thank you.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 24, 2014

For my job we stay at Holiday Inn and HIE. I usually like my stay, but this one was not good. First off, the hotel looks old and run down. Second, I didn't get any internet coverage on the fourth floor. That didn't make me happy. Third, I thought breakfast was okay. It is probably worth the money. If I would choose between the Hampton and the Holiday Inn, I would definitely choose the Hampton and get the HHonors points!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Red_Alert_V
HISwedesboro, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Philadelphia South-Swedesboro, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Red Alert V,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We are sorry to see that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We do have an internet support service that can help get our guests online if they are having troubles with their PC. Intercontinental Hotel Group (Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Ect) does offer a rewards program. It is IHG Rewards Club where you can collect points. Ihg Reward points never expire and you can redeeem them for great mercandise, hotels ect. Thank you for sharing your feedback, We hop you will stay with us again in the future.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

The only impressive thing about this hotel was that the maintenance person showed up in a timely fashion to fix the air conditioning that was not working. Their guest book in the room stated room service was available 6am-10pm. They left out not available from 11-5pm. Breakfast wasn't delivered without an issue and food was subpar. Hotel looks like it is under renovations but not sure.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Peggy P
HISwedesboro, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Philadelphia South-Swedesboro, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Peggy P,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We are sorry about the confusion with our room service hours. We will definately look into that and update our guest books. Again Thank you
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised with my stay here. I came for an overnight visit with my two kids (ages 3 and 6), and was given a hearty welcome at checkin as well as at the restaurant when we ate breakfast the next morning.

The hotel is going through renovations on the fourth floor (where we stayed); and it does have somewhat of an older feel to it - but I found that this place had all of the essentials for a fantastic stay.

The girls at checkin were very warm and cordial - and suggested a room type change (one with a larger bed) that they thought might be more suitable because of my height. (I'm very tall). The one who gave me my room keys also gave me heads up on a 25% discount on my restaurant bill if I chose to dine in for being a member of the inn's loyalty program.

Speaking of the restaurant (which we eat at)... Barbara was our morning waitress. She was awesome. The restaurant is quite spacious and spread out, and has a flat screen TV where you can watch the news while you eat. Barbara was very kind and engaged my kids and simply made me feel like I was at home with her genuine hospitality and caring attitude. She offered to have the kitchen make me made-to-order eggs, which I agreed to (though they never came out)... and kept our orange juice glass full. The Buffett was delicious and was very reasonably priced for all-you-can-eat. Not inclining tip - I spent less than $9 for me and my two kids to all eat and drink to our satisfaction.

Yes - this place is not the Ritz Carlton and yes - the building shows some age. But the service, overall attention to detail from the staff and overall value make this the first choice for this frequent traveller next time I'm in the area.

Stayed March 2014
HISwedesboro, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Philadelphia South-Swedesboro, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Jacoband June,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Holiday Inn Philadlephia South Swedesboro. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Again, thank you!
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Driving down from NYC to North Carolina during the snow storm in a tiny car was not working. Driving thru a whiteout and almost crashing twice I decided I needed to stop for the night. Thank goodness for this hotel!!!!! The storm was so bad I wound up staying two nights. The rooms were big clean and they had a bar the served food as well. The staff was very nice and helpful, I was stranded but in heaven!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HISwedesboro, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Philadelphia South-Swedesboro, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Latnldy1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are certainly happy that you decided to be safe and stay with us through the storm. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel and staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them. We sure hope you stay with us again inthe future, hopefully under different circumstances. Again, Thank you!
morganville NJ
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Compared to other chains that have upgraded their rooms, this one is left in the past:no easily accesible outlets near the bed/night stand (my laptop is plugged in behind the other bed), no mini-fridge, no microwave. There is at least a flat screen TV but only about 50 channels on it.

The back door does not have a card access device; that door shuts and you have to go back around the front. On the first floor in the one-teens hallway, there is a musty smell that doesn't go away. There is a sign in the lobby apologizing for the appearance, but there is no date on it, so this sign could be here for years (see photo uploads). One of the two elevators is out of order.

At the entrance, while there is a covered area for parking/check in, it reeks of smoke because everyone steps right out front to have their smoke break.

To be fair, I didn't attempt to see how the restaurant service was this time, but since it was iffy at
best in the past, why should I try again with lots of good choice in the business district?

Beds are very comfortable but the heater noisy. They are pet friendly with lots of grass.
Very nice looking room. Telling, perhaps that on the chain's own site, they merit only a 3.8 out of 5.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room 113-119.