“Good food but badly overpriced.”
Review of Botto's

Botto's
Reserve with OpenTable
Botto's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 39 Restaurants in Swedesboro
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allen Street
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Food was good, but was not blown away. When I pay $30 for ravioli, I would expect to really be wowed.....but not so much. Won't be back - I can get equally good Italian at 100 other places in NJ for half the cost.

1  Thank Bucksteroni

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Overall, not as bad as the three stars may indicate, if the prices were a bit lower it would be four star. I certainly don't mind spending $20 for a chicken dish such as picatta or marsala, it's just that I don't believe that this restaurant serves a $20 picatta; it's more of a $15 picatta. That could be said of the veal sorrento as well; it's just not a $27 presentation, it's a good deal at about $18.

That said, the food is decent, although you are paying for reputation and atmosphere, as well as large portions. And the atmosphere is just OK, a bit 1970's but OK.

To start, do try the sausage alla Botto .. Botto's is known for their sausage and this will impress you. Their sausage and broccoli rabe is also worth trying, The shrimp cocktail was about what you' find in any decent restaurant; not bad, not exciting either.

We enjoyed the scallops and shrimp wrapped in bacon, but we could have done without the bbq sauce on it; it would have been fine with just horseradish.

Entrees were a mixed bag.The homemade gnocchi were harder than my friend liked; I tried it and agreed. The veal saltimbucca was generously portioned, but rather salty. The stuffed veal chop with mozzarella and peppers was definitely the best dish there. It was cooked perfectly and was very flavorful and fresh. The veal piccatta was about what you'd find at any decent pizza joint. And that;s the issue we all had ... the food was decent. With the exception of one sausage appetizer and the veal chop, both of which were terrific, it was all basically standard pizza joint food at twice the price.

If you choose right, you'll enjoy. Unfortunately, other than the dishes we tried, I really can't suggest which of the other entrees would be "right".

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had a 7pm reservation for Botto's on 11/30/12 at 7pm. We arrived and we were seated at a table in the bar. I was confused because we had a reservation I assumed we would sit in the dining room, but no big deal. We were seated and after a while our waitress came over. She took our drink order and came back. By this time the bar was full and my husband and I had a man and a womans butt in our face because our table was so close to the actual bar. So the waitress came back and said "Are you ready?" We said we needed a minute She began to walk away and then she said "Oh do you want to hear the specials?" She read them from a card and left. When she returned we ordered. (Still with butts in our face) She took our order and returned with a refill on my husbands Coke..."Here" she said as she slammed it on the table. Aftwr some ime the food started arriving. The soup was VERY bland...we never received water or bread or grated cheese with our soup. When we finally asked for bread our bland soup had turned cold and the butter was hidden under the napkin in the bread bowl. (that may have been my fault I never thought to look there). My husband ordered a chicken dish that was "medallions of chicken" , he received 2 slabs of chicken in the most bland breading I''ve ever tasted. Although it was more chicken I would prefer medallions cooked and seasoned to perfection for 20 bucks than 2 slabs of crap. My steak dish entered the dining room on fire (literally) It was on a hot plate that was smoking to the point that it filled the dining room with coughing. The steak was layed in front of me and was cooked to my specified medium. Overall all of the food was bland with the exception of the smashed potatoes which were okay. At this point our waitress began to talk to the table on the other side of us about some legal problems she was having Now I have a man and womans butt on one side and the waitresses on the other. We could only laugh as we heard the waitress talk in detail about her problems for 20 minutes. The table behind us was apologized to for something and they asked to speak to the manager to which the waitress replied, "I don't want to bombard him right now". The table diagnal to us never got their food and was offered a complimentary glass of wine...they refused and still had no food when we left. Oh and I ordered "roasted garlic" as a side to my steak for 3 dollars. It arrived RAW. Not Good, thank God we had a gift card. This place had terrible food, terrible atmosphere, and terrible service...I could keep going but I think you get the picture....

Reviewed November 17, 2012

the place is dirty, the bathrooms are old and the decor is 20 years old they need to clean up the place.

1  Thank ppgoeat
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Family run and cooking is great. We take the family here for Big Events and everyday events. The Botto's treat us Right from Mrs Botto , Robert, and Henry. They know our names and are community minded people. We always get good treatment and great food here
Tom D