“Going downhill fast.....”

Sand Barrens Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Swainton
More attraction details
Owner description: Sand is the name of the game at this 55,000-square-foot course.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Going downhill fast.....”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

A couple years ago this place was very nice. The last 2 years however have been pretty bad. Poor conditions, albeit some due to the 100+ temps last summer and the rain this year. Still, crap grass on the tees and fairways, really? Greens were pretty good. So the Sunday when my son and I arrived we paid FULL price and I paid for him as a rider. We were met at the starters hut by some guy, I assume a manger of some sort, who says to us, "your son (he's 13) needs a collared shirt. He did have nice shorts on, he was neat. I understand the dress code thing, but come on. That was a bit silly considering what I was soon to find out. Needless to say I ran in and bought him a shirt. I should have just said "take him as is or we leave and you lose our money". So we proceed out to the starter and he says we only have 18 holes in play. Funny nobody mentioned that when I reserved the tee-time or when I paid. I choose this course BECAUSE they have 27 holes. The front nine was combo of holes from the South and West courses. The back was the normal North course. The temporary scorecard only had the white tees listed so I assumed that was where we were to play from. Total length was barely over 6000 yards. I did see other tees, but again since they'd been having condition issues and the scorecard only had the whites marked I played from those. It wasn't until we were finished I mentioned it to the kid as we were dropping off the cart and he said we could've played from the other tees. Thanks Mr. Starter guy for telling us that. So they bust my son's chops for his tee-shirt, don't have 27 holes, the conditions were less then good and you charged me full price. My incentive for ever coming back or recommending this place is…..????

Visited September 2011
1 Thank jwhiteman

New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“DISASTER!!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Just played this course. Unbelievably bad. Tee boxes, fairways, greens - all atrocious. Think about the worst muni you ever played - Sand Barrens would be a step down. Still charged $80 a round (discounted but didn't tell us why). Criminal

1 Thank Chris216
Freehold, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Conditions were so-so”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

just played this course a few days ago. It features 3 nine hole courses. Only two of the nines are currently open, The north course is closed indefinately and judging by the conditions of it as we rode by it won't reopen for a long time. They must be hurting money wise because the maintenance budget has to be reduced. The fairways had a lot of crab grass, the bunkers had a lot of rocks in them, and the tee boxes on some holes were beat up. The greens were in decent shape. The layout of both nines were real interesting and fun to play - lots of elevations and rolling fairways. Most of the greens are huge and undulating. We paid $56 for 18 holes including a cart. Not a bad deal even with those conditions. You can't use the bar or restaurant unless you are a member. I don't see that lasting long though because they appear to be hurting.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank pacmrhs
HACKENSACK,NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DO NOT GO!!!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

If you are vacationing in the Avalon-Stone Harbor New Jersey area avoid the Sand Barrens Golf Course at all costs. The fairways are completely burned out- there isn't a blade of grass to be found on some holes. To make matters worse, they insist you keep the cart on the path for some nines. They then have the audacity to tell you your next t-time is available for one-half of the price. I will never return to this course. They have an unbelievable amount of nerve not warning you about the condition of the course before you play.

1 Thank TENHOEVELAW
Seaville, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Never Again”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Basically, I was overcharged and received poor service for a combo/graduation retirement party. I paid for 50 guests and 23 attended. Those who attended received poor service, poor quality food by overworked servers who were also serving dinner in the main room. I do not complain about the #'s only the quality. I provided the cakes, and DJ. The dance floor was additional and it fell apart as the night progressed- requiring us to kick it back in place so no one was hurt.
The food displays consisted of a small table at arrival, waitress delivered finger foods (of Sam's or BJ's quality), and cakes crunched on the gift table. Yikes!!
I am not a fussy person but it was an embarrassment.

1 Thank kimpattes

Been to Sand Barrens Golf Club? Share your experiences!