“The only nice one is Deb the bartender. The whole staff is miserable. It's a crime to ask a question. The comments all left ^ t”
Review of E J Callahan's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
E J Callahan's
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

The only nice one is Deb the bartender. The whole staff is miserable. It's a crime to ask a question. All the comments Left ^...are extremely accurate. If you go on a Saturday night, during live entertainment...drinks go up an additional 50 cents lmao...the entertainment isn't worth paying extra for a drink. I'd try the place down the street.

3 Thank Oceans1111

NJ
“Great happy hour and burgers”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We come here because it is close to our home. The happy hour offers some great deals on food and drinks - especially for LBI). The burgers and sandwiches are good. The rest of the menu is traditional pub food done competently. Not worth a long drive but stop by if you are in the area.

Visited November 2011
USR, NJ
“Crazy Woman”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We have been going to LBI for twenty years and just recently purchased a house in Surf City. Our family dines out often and by far this was the worst encounter we have ever had at any restaurant.

We went out early on a Saturday night (my wife and two children) after a long day and we were all starving. My daughter decided to order a steak (one of the most expensive items on the menu) and asked for it medium. This entitled her to a salad and soup. The first steak came out very well done. We spoke to the waitress she took the meal back and was apologetic. The next one came out, after a long delay, rare and could have walked off the plate. At this point the three of us had since finished our meals and our daughter still didn’t have a meal that was edible. Once again we spoke to the waitress who was sincerely apologetic and removed this second poorly prepared dinner. Rather than strike out a third time my daughter, now frustrated as well as starving, settled for something off the kids menu.

When the bill came the waitress informed us that the owner said to charge us for the salad and soup that my daughter had received as part of her original order (remember that steak that they were unable to prepare). The meal she ended up with from the children’s menu did not come with a soup and salad, thus the need for the owner to charge us for food she would have otherwise not ordered. My wife and I were very surprised that after all of this that the owner of the restaurant would not be at our table apologizing rather than charging us for these items. Once again we spoke to the waitress and very calmly said that we would be happy to pay for the salad our daughter did after all eat, but not the soup which she didn’t eat and would not have ordered had it not been brought to her as part of her original meal. We also explained that since it was also part of my meal and I did not receive one it’s as if she ate my soup so please remove it from the bill. The waitress went back to the owner and explained our position and came back to tell us that the owner said to charge us for both. This was a matter of principle not cost. I asked to speak to the owner directly.

That is when the show really began. She was rude, insulting directly to my daughter and to my wife and I. She went on to insult us as parents (“we are raising our child wrong”), and to our daughter indicating that she was incapable of making decisions and knowing anything about whether a steak was well done or raw. Mind you the waitress witnessed both steaks and didn’t hesitate agreeing that either steak was poorly cooked. We left the restaurant infuriated and will never under any circumstances return. We said that to the owner and she said "good".

• Visited August 2011
10 Thank GTM9635
Livingston, New Jersey
“The most miserable experience imaginable”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Afred Hitchcock's Psycho horror film comes to mind. The owners, presumably a Husband and wife team, seem to take delight in making their "guests" dining experience miserable. The food is terrible, the prices average (average that is for a nice place which this isn't), and the entire time you there you feel queasy. This well may be the place to calibrate zero when one rates someplace on the scale 0 to 10. Avoid at all costs!

• Visited September 2011
4 Thank Brad M
“Frozen food shouldn't be served frozen!!!”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife and I stopped in for a bite, being we rented a house down the block....we asked the bartender how 4 items on the menu were, and got the same response...."Excellent!!!!"....one of the items was chicken wings, seemed simple enough, you can't really screw up wings, right?....wrong! I asked for them well done, and upon being served them, I bit into a mushy wing(after I requested they be prepared well done) and found a still frozen, raw piece near the center of the bone!... Not only did I not receive an apology, but got a second order that was still mushy! Gross. The bartender told me prior to my order, that they were in business for 26 years!...a little advise? CLOSE!

4 Thank Melikeyfood