“The most miserable experience imaginable”
Review of E J Callahan's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
E J Callahan's
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Afred Hitchcock's Psycho horror film comes to mind. The owners, presumably a Husband and wife team, seem to take delight in making their "guests" dining experience miserable. The food is terrible, the prices average (average that is for a nice place which this isn't), and the entire time you there you feel queasy. This well may be the place to calibrate zero when one rates someplace on the scale 0 to 10. Avoid at all costs!

4  Thank Brad M

Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife and I stopped in for a bite, being we rented a house down the block....we asked the bartender how 4 items on the menu were, and got the same response...."Excellent!!!!"....one of the items was chicken wings, seemed simple enough, you can't really screw up wings, right?....wrong! I asked for them well done, and upon being served them, I bit into a mushy wing(after I requested they be prepared well done) and found a still frozen, raw piece near the center of the bone!... Not only did I not receive an apology, but got a second order that was still mushy! Gross. The bartender told me prior to my order, that they were in business for 26 years!...a little advise? CLOSE!

4  Thank Melikeyfood
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stopped by for the first time after visiting the local arts center. We were wary of the dated decor, but looked at the menu and decided to try. Husband ordered the prime rib, I, the CHILEAN sea bass. For Appetizer... calamari with Thai sauce...
Also ordered a bottle of wine which, remarkably, was not marked up from their own nearby liquor store!! Kudos!
Calamari was above par, sauce was scant, so we asked for more.. waitress obliged..
NOW...dinner is served...Prime rib looks medium rare, as ordered, very good..
CHILEAN (?) sea bass at $32.00 looked nothing like the real thing...thin, dense piece of fish...Tasted off...Husband suggested it may be MahiMahi...when waitress checked on us, I told her kindly that I was not happy with the fish, that it did not look or taste like chilean sea bass. Husband mentioned that it could haven been mistaken in the kitchen...She was sure it was the right fish. She took it back to the kitchen.
Soon after, the owner/manager came to our booth, red faced and furious! She leaned in on the table and was insulting, rude, told us to ask the people at the table behind us if it was the right fish (?) in that they had ordered it earlier. She bought Chilean sea bass and DAMMIT that's what we got! I was so shocked I didn't know what to say!
The waitress came over after she left the table and asked if I wanted anything else. Quite frankly, I was so rattled that I lost my appetite...
When the check came, she had charged us for 1/2 the fish entree, explaining through the embarrassed waitress that we had eaten half of it....Believe me, that is very far from the truth.
My husband approached owner upon leaving and asked why she was so rude? She said we were trying to pull one over on her because the prime rib was so big, we decided to send the fish back to save $..She also said she didn't charge for the extra Thai sauce for the appetizer! He said that was ridiculous, and that we would never be back nor would any one in our neighborhood... She told him were not welcome back!
Mind you, there were no raised voices or strong words coming from either of us...Only this angry, miserable woman!
Sooo.... I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone, especially those who know the difference between Chilean sea bass and striper, because that is what she served us for $32.00...

10  Thank TTKBeachHaven_NJ
Reviewed December 3, 2010

the food was bland,the price was through the roof,and the owner was rude and in my opinion insaine! her husband seemed very nice thou,and he seemed genuinely embarrased at how his wife was acting.trust me,just stay away!!!!!

5  Thank jonathan094
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My wife and two children and I were vacationing in Ship Bottom LBI over the Columbus Day weekend. We were driving the boulevard looking for a restaurant to eat at. Seemed to be not a lot of people (NOW I KNOW WHY) there. So, we opted to give Callahan’s a try. I’ll try and break this down.

•Not a child friendly menu (8 & 12 year old)

•An appetizer of Steamed clams was $15.00…that is $1.25 a clam. That is pathetic. I could have went down the street to the Surf City Fishery and got a 100 clams for $38.00.

•$14.00 for drinks…1-Iced Tea…4-sodas. I could not magine what a beer or mixed drink would have cost.

•I opted for the Chilean Sea Bass Special for $31.00…Yeh, it was special alright. The portion I got looked like the size of a lemon. What a rip-off. I was like…Where is the rest of the fish?? Did the cook eat it?

•Atmosphere sucked also. We had to tolerate some New York 65+ year old Seniors talking way too loud…and to boot…one of the old bag women that was in the party kept on swearing like a sailor with no regard for the surroundings…let alone my CHILDREN!

•Service was mediocre…kind of acted like we were not there at times.

•$85.00 later...well underportioned meal…Way Overpriced on meals and beverages.

•Safe to say WE WILL NOT be going back to Callahan’s EVER AGAIN! If you are hungry and looking for a place to eat…MAKE sure you check the menu before commiting to going to this place.

•My family owned a seafood restaurant for decades. And the prices/service/atmosphere were never like this.

•One thing…YOU will never have to wait for a table at this joint…sue to the fact…there is never a lot of people in it. NOW I KNOW WHY!!

3  Thank 64goat