“A place to be remembered!”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
central,NJ
“A place to be remembered!”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

The Grand Summit Hotel (GSH) was an amazing place! I recently had my wedding there and it was an AMAZING experience. Jimmy (our Maitre d'), Teresa his assistant and all of the staff were courteous, helpful and willing to meet our every need at every moment. The venue and overall presentation was fantastic and it exceeded all of our expectations! The hotel room; was classic, very comfortable beds, nice climate control, excellent BOSE stereo systems with flat screen TV’s and the service even included shuttle service to and from Newark Airport. The staff even handled a "minor" wardrobe emergency and transported a guest to a local shopping mall in a very speedy and efficient manner. The event itself was outstanding. Jimmy catered to our every need, organized everything in a very efficient manner and ensured that my bride and I had nothing to concern ourselves with. He was personally involved in every moment of the evening. The food was out of this world! Everyone raved about it all night and the Chateaubriand melted in your mouth, it was so succulent and delicious! The complimentary breakfast was tasty and plentiful. This is a place that we will return to and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Having lived in Summit almost 14 years ago I was in town for an informal high school reunion. Some of us were meeting the night before the event to see some that could not make the event the next day. I live in New York City and decided that it would be best to stay in the area. I did not think twice about were to stay. I have enjoyed staying at The Grand Summit Hotel a few times since living in the city. I have enjoyed many dinner parties in The Hunt Club. I arrived rather late, after an exhausting day of work in the city in the 100 degree heat. My check in was so fast and exactly what I needed to meet my friends. When I went up to my room it was at the perfect cool temperature. The bed had been turned downed. I immediately felt at home. I am already thinking of a return stay in the Fall. It is the perfect get away from the city. The Grand Summit Hotel is the perfect place to stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel has been independently family owned for the past 40 years and we work hard to create that type of environment for our guests and associates. When our efforts are met with success as indicated in your review it means more than I can tell you. The staff was very excited to hear of your feedback and informed me that they very much enjoyed hosting you. We greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again in the Fall.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My family is moving to the Sunnit area in the fall, and we were in town to look at schools and homes. Our original reservation was for 6 nights, but we checked out after one. Here are the reasons we left:
1. Pompous and unhelpful front desk staff upon arrival.
2. The connecting rooms that I had requested were not provided after I had called to confirm availability.
3. Rooms smelled of mold, bathrooms were dated and dilapidated.
4. We were awoken at 6am by a false fire alarm due to smoke in the kitchen. There was no explanation or apology from the hotel staff, so we were left wondering what was happening and what to do. This was particularly alarming since I was with two young children.
5. The on-site Avis office is staffed by a clueless, rude and unhelpful man who is completely uninterested in customer service. For example, I asked him if I could return the car to another Avis office, which I believe is pretty standard. He replied that I absolutely could not. After we moved to the Short Hills Hilton, I inquired at their Avis office and was told that I certainly could return the car to another Avis office, but Nick at the Summit Grand didn't want me to because it might affect his commission.
6. I met another guest at breakfast who informed me that she woke up that morning to a bed full of ants biting her!
7. The common areas of the hotel, including the lobby, elevators and dining room, do not look as though they have been re-decorated, cleaned or maintained in recent memory.

My advice: stay at the Short Hills Hilton.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Victoria K
Thank you for your feedback. I have reviewed your comments here with my staff and have been informed that we clearly stated to the travel agent who made your reservation that connecting rooms were not available for the requested dates of your stay as the hotel was in a sold out situation. I am sorry that message was not communicated to you from the agent. That being said we attempted to move you to two of our poolside rooms, however, we were not given that opportunity as you made the decision to check out before giving us the chance to address your issue to your satisfaction. Regarding the fire alarm, our Director of Security and Chief Engineer facilitated the emergency and communicated to all guests that it was a false alarm as is procedure. Regarding our partner from AVIS, I have only received good feedback from him form our guests over the past six years and I apologize if he did not act professionally in his exchange with you. I have sent an email to the address we have on file to personally apologize for your experience. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you personally.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We've stayed here twice. Once in Dec. and now in January and both times we have had problems with our rooms. The first time, the heater made noise. This time, our room is damp. The sheets are damp. We left the room at 11:35 am with a "Service Please" sign outside the door. No one ever came to make up the made or bring clean towels. When we complained at 4:45 pm, we were told that the housekeeper had left. We finally got them to bring us dry towels.

The hotel has a two tiered pricing and we chose the more expensive thinking that the room would be better. It's not. There aren't even hooks in the bathroom to hang the towels to let them dry.

You can't beat the location if you want to be close to downtown Summit, NJ and the surrounding neighborhood. But it's not a cheap hotel and I wouldn't stay here if the location wasn't paramount to you stay in NJ.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
I am disappointed to hear about our response to your original request for housekeeping service. My Front Office Manager informed me that a housekeeping supervisor was sent to the room shortly after she was informed of the miscommunication. We strive to provide a wonderful customer service experience fromk the beginning to the end of the stay for all of our guests. I hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to show you all we have to offer.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I visited The Grand Summit Hotel to attend a wedding for a family member that was taking place there. About a month prior to our stay, we called the hotel to make a reservation under the wedding room block that was set aside for guests attending the wedding. We spoke to David (Front office supervisor) who helped us along during the process. I had my concerns about staying here as I'm sure everyone has had after reading some of the older reviews on here of this hotel, but David assured me that he and his team would do everything in their power to make sure my husband and I were well taken care of.
I had requested an early check-in and a room on a lower floor as I have trouble walking and it would make it much easier for me to go back and forth between my room and the wedding reception. He clearly and in great detail explained every room type level that they had there. He then politely asked if he may make a suggestion as to what room I should book. He then explained to us the difference between the rooms in the main building and terrace building, and also noted that the entire property in fact had been renovated within the previous 3 years.
I decided to choose a room on what they call the upper terrace with 2 full-sized beds. He then explained, while they cannot guarantee early check-in that if we called around noon and there was a room available that met my preferences that we would of course be checked-in.
The day of the wedding I did as he said and called around noon-time and spoke to a young lady named Marian at the front desk. She said that our room was available and if we wanted to check-in that everything would be ready for us by the time we got there. Well, we were actually about 5 minutes away glad to hear that after all the driving we had done, we were able to check-in early as we had hoped.
When we got there, Marian at the front desk checked us in. She was very courteous and polite and seemed to genuinely care about our well-being. I was also happy to see the gentleman I had spoken to on the phone before who immediately remembered my name, where my husband and I were traveling from, and what room I had booked. I do have to say I was a bit shocked at the parking fee that we were told about when we checked-in. While it isn't a covered or underground parking-lot, it IS patrolled by security at night and is about a block away from Summit's police station. (I did appreciate the honesty of the staff there in regards to the parking fee. David had explained to me that as opposed to adding the parking fee to the rate, the hotel would rather be up-front about what we were being charged for.) There were about 2 or 3 other people at the front desk who were all so very polite and wished us an enjoyable stay.
I must say the hotel is simply gorgeous. With a few minor dings and scratches as I'm sure all hotels experience with hundreds of people coming and going every week. To say that this hotel needs a facelift is naive. I appreciate that while all these hotels being built are so futuristic with curtains that open automatically and say your name in lights as you enter the room, the Grand Summit Hotel has stuck to its "roots" of being a Tudor styled hotel that prides itself on impeccable service.
Great thanks and best wishes to the management, David, Marian, and the rest of the staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Eastlake, Ohio
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The staff make the Grand Summit Hotel a special place in Summit, NJ. The accommodations, (rooms, food, spirits and hotel charm) were "first class". The location is within walking distance of shops and restaurants and the night life is energized but relaxed as well. This historic hotel is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2010

If you are looking for a boutique hotel in a lovely town with direct train access into NYC, the location is great. But better than the location, the staff, especially Teresa Garcia, Assistant Director of Catering couldn't do enough to please us and together with a very friendly and accommodating staff, our wedding experience was fabulous. This hotel was built in 1868 so lots of good history too. Wedding food and cake can usually be so-so but not here. We had choices of Chateau Briande, fish or chicken and could order at the table so no one was stuck with the usual rubber chicken and the Cocktail hour was great with so much food the guests thought it was the reception and we had to tell them there was a sit-down dinner yet to come.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KathleenCallender
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!