“Great experience, would stay again”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My sister and I stayed at the hotel for the first time at the end of December and loved it. It had a lot of charm yet had modern, updated rooms and amenities. The staff was wonderful. The front desk clerk was chipper at any hour of the day or night and was willing to do anything she could to help us (including calling around local sushi places to see if anyone could accommodate our 10pm weeknight craving). Room service food was good and came piping hot (we ordered some snacky-type food to tide us over), and not outrageously expensive. One night we brought in a bottle of wine and called housekeeping for an opener; a gentleman showed up in two minutes with 2 wine glasses and a corkscrew, and opened the bottle for us. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet which included many healthful (and filling) selections. We didn't use the gym (shame on us), but it had the latest equipment for a quick workout. The location of the hotel is perfect for a short walk to the center of Summit, which is a beautiful town with some GREAT shopping and restaurants to suit any taste. The airport was just 25 short minutes away, and was very easy to get to. I would definitely stay there during my next visit to the area.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank FloridaJoyM
There are newer reviews for Grand Summit Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2006

I stayed at the Grand Summit for one night. It's not grand.

Rooms are very small and seem a bit dated. If you're a business traveler, there's no room to work. If you're a pleasure traveler, there's no room to move. Let's put it this way -- it's a place to sleep and nothing more.

The Happy Hour in the lobby is nice. The food in the restaurant is good, but not cheap. Restaurant sevice was very good. No morning paper. I didn't try room service because there was no place in the room to eat.

It's okay for a night; I wouldn't want to stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank MisstheDogs
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 5, 2006

First, not a single bellhop and all 4 valet staff members were more interested in their conversation than our car. The check-in process was long because the staff were more interested in chatting with one another than us. The most uncomfortable bed I have experienced in a long time, and the bathroom was unclean (unknown brown substance on the wall next to the commode). Besides that, the hotel had a strange smell in the common areas and restaurant. A big disappointment!

• Stayed: June 2006
New Jersey
Reviewed December 18, 2005

I recently stayed at this hotel for one nite and never again. I stay in hotels quite frequenlty for business in the vicity of the Grand Summit and I must say that for the same or lower price you can find many hotels that are much cleaner, much nicer, with better food and service.

Rather than list all the deatails, I will tell you the highlights. I requested a king bed and was given a room on the bottom floor with 2 full beds. The shower drain was clogged so I had to shut the water every two minutes so that it did not overflow. The faucet on the sink was broken and to top it all off, the toilet seat was badly scrathced to the extent that bare wood was exposed.

Do yourself a big favor and book the Hilton, Doubletree, Hyatt or just about anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed November 13, 2005

We stayed here for 2 nights. The pillows were so uncomfortable on the beds that I had to request 4 more pillows just so i can sit and watch TV. We requested a smoking room, and got a non-smoking room. We complained, they said that there werent enough smoking rooms... Our eaten room service food sat outside in the hallway for 24 hours - no one picked it up, with a moldy chicken bone, probably from days before, stuck to the wall.... Our key cards NEVER worked, we had to keep coming downstairs to the lobby to re-activate them. It seems it doesnt matter how much you complain about things with this hotel, they dont care, and they dont compensate you! After getting a fifth key card, they finally sent someone up to fix our door.

Never agaiN! Too expensive to not be taken care of. The hilton or marriot is cheaper, and i feel they are alot easier to work with!

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2005

stayed at the grand summit for 3 days. Upon checkin we were given a pool side room, which was a heads up thing because I had a child with me.
The lobby is just as the grand summit web site says, really nice. The area the hotel is located in is in an upscale area.
The room was found to be clean and large. Our outside door opened to the pool. The pool was suppose to open at 9am, but I watched as some people with kids came by at 945am and they still had not unlocked it. They finally did about 10am. The next couple of nights they did not lock the gate to the pool, not a good idea with the possibly of some youngter getting in the pool and their parents not knowing it.....
The breakfast was ok, some of the food was cold, <I don't like cold french toast.> On sunday morning the staff seemed out of whack with the setup of the brunch, even tho it is done every day. They didn't have any tables setup with silverware or such..... The food was nothing to write home about. The oj was good, the refill of the glasses of oj and coffee was spotty, the staff seemed to be confused about who did what....
The hotel on their web site makes a big thing about having free bottled water 24 hrs a day. My son asked for bottle water, got it once, after that they told him to get it from the bar, which would of been a purchased item.....
hotel also says they roll out a fridge on week nights with snacks and such, only problem with that, it was behind the front desk. It really never got rolled out.......sounds good tho...
On sat. night the hotel had some wedding receptions. Some of the debris from the receptions was still around the hotel on monday....
The staff at the front desk knew their jobs, but when walking thru the hotel, all the other workers tried to act like they didn't see you......< most 3 star and up hotel that I have stayed at, the workers go out of their way to be friendy by saying good morning or good evening at least, not at the grand summit.
We drove into nyc every day, leaving the car in a parking garage in hoboken<the rates in hoboken are much cheaper than nyc>, and taking either the ny waterway or path into the city. Took us about 25 minutes to drive to hoboken.
There is a train that runs into nyc within a couple of blocks of the hotel, but according to the train schedule and the stops, it would take about a hour to get to the city.
I don't think the grand summit is at the level of a 4 star hotel or even close. They have a rack rate of $350 which is discounted. < got someone elses bill under the door one morning and saw that they paid $125 a night..
I think there are "better buys" than this hotel. What I think has happened with this hotel, is that they have cut their over head, including staff, and are running bare bones...... Maybe I am wrong, but I won't stay there again. not a bad hotel, just not worth the money for a 2*+
rj from milwaukee......

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank roger f
Reviewed July 5, 2005

The hotel is nice. We stayed here for our honeymoon. We got a good rate for it, especially for a four-star hotel, there rates are reasonable. We had a king size bedroom, the room was nice. The shuttle bus service was great, giving us tips and a ride for shopping at Newark. The hotel service was great as well. Food was great too.

• Stayed: August 2004
2  Thank Rabz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!