“Not what name stands for ”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Was there for New Year's Eve and stayed in Hotel. Once we pulled up no valet parking and no bell boy in sight. The lobby was dated and carpet filthy the Elevators also dirty. This can be a grand hotel but thru need to clean it up. The rooms were ok but very cold you Gould feel the wind coming from window. The chairs were stained and the bed spread also dirty. Called front desk they moved us. The Tavern they have also gloomy and dirty floors. Not for me anymore.

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Joe V
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Joe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. We were very disappointed to hear of your experience at our property.

While the lobby is historic, it is often one of the most celebrated parts of the property that is highly regarded by our guests. The carpet in the lobby was recently replaced, so I am disappointed to hear that you found it to be unsatisfactory.

We offer rooms that are completely renovated in addition to our more classic rooms, so I was pleased to hear that we were able to move your room when you found the first one to be below your expectations. While the age of the building does make it more drafty than a newer building, most of our heating units are new so I was disappointed to hear of your room being cold.

We welcome the chance to host you again and to the opportunity to demonstrate the comfort and service our customers have come to love and expect.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Grand Summit Hotel is situated in the heart of the beautiful Summit, NJ. It is definitely a sophisticated hotel that has all the needs for families, friends or couples. It is old world charm meets modern accommodations. The rooms are quaint and comfortable. The rooms were big enough for our family of four and updated with Bose stereos and TV. The staff was the best part of the hotel from the time you check in to the time you check out the staff is always friendly and willing to meet your needs. The complimentary breakfast is awesome. It is a fresh and wonderful assortment of hot and cold selections. The well decorated lobby has a heartwarming fireplace by which to enjoy a free cup of Starbucks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear George,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review of your stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure hosting your family, and we were very excited to hear that you loved the hotel.

We look forward to the chance to host you again when your travel takes you back to New Jersey.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This review is long overdue - my (now) husband and I only had one place in mind when choosing a wedding venue, the Grand Summit Hotel, and we are thrilled we did. From the very beginning of planning to the day of, Teresa Garcia and the staff were wonderful and made everything so easy. Teresa was so experienced and easygoing, we knew we were in good hands. It was such a stressfree and enjoyable experience!

We held our sunset ceremony in the glass Atrium, moved right across for the cocktail hour in the Crestview room and the reception was in the Grand Ballroom. Having all the festitivies in one place was a HUGE plus and it definitely made everything so much easier for us and our guests.
Our friends and family had a great time, everyone raved about the delicious (and seriously abundant) food and the warm and attentive staff.

When my husband and I finally had a chance to wind down in our suite, we were pleased and surprised to find champagne and strawberries waiting for us! As we re-capped the entire day with our treats, we just thought about how much fun we had, and how we wished we could get married all the time! - this was in no small part due to the efforts of Teresa and the staff at the Grand Summit hotel.

My one teeny nitpicky thing would be the front desk - I had a few complaints from my guests that it was a little frustrating booking the room under our block. From what I understand, this was due to some interns being at the front desk and just learning the ropes. Despite not being knowledgeable, they were still very nice. I'm inclined to say once the staff is trained properly, they will be first rate.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Liv R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review of the wedding you hosted at our property. We consider it the highest honor when we are chosen to host one of the most important days of your life, and to hear that we succeeded in just about every aspect of your event and stay, means a lot to us.

It was an absolute pleasure hosting your family and friends, and we look forward to the chance to welcome you back to the property in the near future.

All the best to you and your family.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Room was run down, wallpaper coming off wall, pillows hard as a rock, room service was asked to only change out towels and they left dirty ones on floor and threw new clean ones onto bed spread. Breakfast juices/milk warm not chilled, had a driver to take us to train but not to pick us up because other driver lost his license. Charges parking of 9.00 per night and overcharges for the quality of the experience. This is a 2 or 3 star hotel with service and affordability that should be a 75.00 per night stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Joel M

Dear Joel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. We were disappointed to hear of the negative experience you had at the property and will be sure to address the items you brought to our attention.

I spoke with all of the members of my guests service team during your stay, and have been unable to find the member of our team who misinformed you of any issues with our shuttle driver. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further to better understand what you heard from my staff, as this information is erroneous.

I would also like the opportunity to speak with you further about the other areas where we failed to execute our housekeeping services so that I may further address these items with my team.

Our customers have always found our pricing to be a tremendous value when considering the comfortable room we provide, the complimentary full American breakfast buffet, complimentary WiFi, complimentary passes to the Summit YMCA, complimentary Starbucks Coffee and Tea and Free transportation to the vibrant downtown of Summit. I am disappointed to hear that we failed to demonstrate that value to you.

I thank you again for taking the time to bring these items to my attention, and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at the Grand Summit in early November for a period of 10 days and had a wonderful time. If one is looking for a mega-resort, with all the "bells and whistles", this is not the place. However, if one is looking for a staff that is determined to make each guest feel welcome, then this is THE PLACE. Every employee that we encountered was incredible, and if we requested something, it was attended to immediately. We were so impressed with the staff in the restaurant each morning who greeted us not only by name, but also attended to our grand-daughter and made sure that she had what she wanted. How excellent! And, each morning, there was quite an assortment of food for one to start the day with.
While our room was small, it was comfortable and cleaned very well each day. Bottles of water were distributed midday, everyday.
The hot water and coffee, available in the lobby each day was certainly a bonus. But, I think that one of the nicest touches was the tray of spice cookies and the warm chestnuts that were in the lobby near the roaring fire late in the afternoon.
We also attended a wedding at the Grand Summit during our stay. The food was delicious, the service excellent, the atmosphere superb.
The Grand Summit is unique in the sense that they truly appreciate their guests and do practice the idea of providing good service. Yes, it is old and in need of attention. But, as they say, "Don't judge a book by its cover." It is warm, inviting, and provides an air of concern for the guests that is lacking in so many other venues.

Room Tip: Third or fourth floor, not on the side overlooking the restaurant (Too noisy on the weekends).
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dorothy,

We are very excited to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay and the many members of our staff who served you during your visit.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you and members of your family and friends again in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I just returned from a one night stay in the Grand Summit Hotel. If you're looking for the usual Hilton type hotel this hotel may not be for you. The Grand Summit is about beautiful old world charm. I don't mean shabby! The lobby looks like a library of a stunning estate. The rooms have the same feeling but with luxurious linens and a flat screen TV.
While I was at the hotel we had about 3 inches of snow. After I checked out I realized that I didn't have a snow brush to clean off my car. I went to the front desk and asked if they had one. They made a call and the asst mgr, Mike, showed up with a brush and followed me out to my car. He actually cleaned off my entire car. Really??? . Now if we could only find more Mike's in restaurants, hotels and retail stores- life would be just alittle easier!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Ellen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with a review of your recent stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and helping you get your car ready for departure. I was most excited when you told me how much you enjoyed our hotel in comparison to another property you had recently stayed at in Manhattan.

We work very hard to provide the kind of experience you describe and when it is recognized it means a lot to us.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had my wedding here in October and Theresa and the staff did a fantastic job! From the planning, to menu to price...all of our guests had a fantastic time and said it was one of the best weddings they had ever been to. People rave about the lush cocktail hour and the venetian dessert table! My wife and I were happy that they work with a local backer, Bovella's Pastry Shoppe in Westfield.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear Drew,

Thank you so much for allowing us to host one of the most important days of your life. We take the planning and coordinating of an event like a wedding very seriously, and when the results of our efforts are so greatly appreciated, it means a lot to us.

It was a absolute pleasure hosting your family and friends, and wish you all of the best as you begin your life together.

We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 5 in Morristown
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 4 in West Orange

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!