“A charming stay in Summit”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We found the 150-year old Grand Summit Hotel charming. Their Hunt Country restaurant is terrific (try the salmon or the chicken in morel sauce), and the rooms are well appointed. We also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour. The staff were attentive and helpful, and we would return again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MaggieMaesMom
There are newer reviews for Grand Summit Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2008

My colleagues and I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business over the last two years (at least 5x or more a year). The problems encountered have worsened to the point where I and my other colleagues REFUSE to stay there EVER again.

Typical problems encountered during my stays are as follows: the front desk staff are not friendly, management/staff that do not listen to complaints, a night's charge for early check out, and hotel un-cleanliness (i.e. especially the bathrooms - hairs from previous persons that are left un-cleaned in the bathroom the entire duration of stay - we also saw a mouse in the dining room in our last stay). These issues have been reported to management with little or no apologies.

The topper was our last stay a couple weeks ago where a colleague noted bites on her legs and arms on the 3rd day of a 4 night stay. She was staying in a remodeled room. We found and caught 5 bed bugs between both double beds/mattresses in the room. We placed the bugs on a piece of tape and brought them to the front desk clerk (night shift). She refused to look at them and/or take them but promised to tell management in the morning (which she did not do - we learned later that other guests stayed in the same room since our stay by the time our company spoke with the hotel several days later - the hotel said it was my colleagues fault for not saying something to management in the morning) - my colleague did move to another room that night.

Needless to say, that is the last time I will stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Jamie72
Reviewed June 26, 2008

This was my 4th stay at Grand Summit Hotel. My company office is very close by and that's why I stay here. I did try to book the Short Hills but they had no rooms available for the dates I needed to book.

This would have been my 5th stay, but back in December 2006, while traveling on an east coast road show, my Manager and I arrived at the Grand Summit around 11:00pm the evening of our confirmed reservation, and we were told that the convention guests who were supposed to have checked out, decided to continue their stay - so they had no rooms for us.

I was very upset, especially since I had been traveling all day, was exhausted, and the hotel HAD MY CONTACT NUMBER, but chose NOT to contact me to let me know they did not have a room. The front desk then proceeded to try to send us to a disgusting Holiday Inn in the Industrial Area! When we arrived there we said NO WAY! and called the front desk back, insulted that they would even send us there.

Thank Goodness we had the GPS system, and were able to locate a BED and BREAKFAST called the Parrot Inn who let us check in at 12:30 in the morning. If you ever have the opportunity, check out the Parrot Inn, it was great.

So in the end GRand Summit paid for our stay at the Parrot Inn.

On to the Hotel itself. The Front Desk staff is indifferent. I didnt care for the attitude I always get when I check in. Not even a smile or a welcome. I happen to like the old rooms better, because they all have a door out to the balcony over looking the pool. The food in the resturant is o.k. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good, BUT extremely OVERPRICED!

The Room service is great - My breakfast arrived on time, and the items I selected were good.

The hotel is close to the downtown area, so it's nice to walk, and the surrounding Summit homes are amazing. Worth a walk just to look at the houses.

Overall I keep going back because it's close to my office, and I do like the Old Fashioned look at feel of the hotel. If you want all the modern stuff, don't stay here.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I expected a four-star hotel experience, and while there were a few nice things about the hotel, overall it didn't meet expectations. The good things were the charming lobby, free buffet breakfast and internet, Bose stereo, and flat-screen TV. The negatives include indifferent reception at check-in, synthetic pillows, no drinking glasses in the bathroom (had to use one of the styrofoam coffee cups), overperfumed toiletries, pizza from the restaurant that tasted like it had been bought frozen from the local 7-11, and an ice machine that had to be 30 years old and made such a huge racket while kicking out about two cubes a minute I gave up with my bucket 1/4 full as I didn't want to disturb anyone in a room nearby any longer. Next time I'd go with the Hilton in Short Hills.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Daoda2
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I grew up a few blocks away from this hotel, had my sweet 16 party here, had Sunday brunches with my family, and spent a few nights in the rooms in the mid-90s when my family was moving and waiting for our house to be ready.

I have since moved out of New Jersey, so when a friend held her wedding at the Grand Summit Hotel's ballroom on May 17, my boyfriend and I booked two nights at the hotel.

This is an old-fashioned hotel, so people who are impatient when it comes to elevators and expect a gigantic, modern-sized room will be disappointed.

The hotel has undergone a major renovation in some of the rooms, and the rooms that have been renovated are VASTLY different from the non-renovated rooms. One bridesmaid stayed in a poolside room in the basement and had gorgeous dark hardwood floors in her room, but her bathroom had no tub, only a shower. The room that my boyfriend and I had on our first night was described as a queen-sized bed, but it was definitely a full bed and not comfortable or big enough for us. The next morning we asked to be moved to a king size bed and we were immediately moved to a larger, more comfortable room with a giant, comfy bed. The first room we were in had also not yet been renovated and had an old TV whereas the second room had a big flat screen on the wall and a great Bose sound system. Both rooms had wi-fi.

The hotel employees are always very accomodating. The events staff gave my friend an amazing wedding. The food is AWESOME. The bathroom products are very nice. And there is a little bar in the basement, very European.

The hotel overall is quite charming. As I said, those who expect a modern resort-quality hotel will be disappointed, but the rest of us who look for good quality, polite service, and a historical hotel will be pleased.

Highly recommend everyone ask for a renovated room.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed at the Summitt to be close in our family during a family reunion. Our room was small, with only the bed and one small chair, but we liked the ambiance and the age of the property. We also were able to walk downtown - a big plus for us.
The big negative was the restaurant - rude, slow service. The staff seemed to have their pets and the rest of us were left out in the cold.
We will stay there again, but will probably eat elsewhere. Even though breakfast is included in the price of the room, it's not worth the unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank MichiganHomeBody
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Older Hotel. Pictures on web page are nice but inside the hotel is not as nice. Rooms are a little run down and the carpet. Reception area was not kept up. Service was not good. I requested a 6:45 am wake up call and got a 4:45 wake up call. Ordered breakfast that was never recieved. The resturant was horrible.

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank ProTrials
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!