“Another good 2 weeks at the Grand Summit”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Another good 2 weeks at the Grand Summit”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel although old provides excellent and friendly service. The staff are friendly courteous and very helpful. The breakfast buffet is quite something and the standard of the food in restaurant very good.

Free coffe and tea is on constant supply in the lounge together with pastries in the afternoon.

In particular I would mention Michael Marino the AGM who goes out of his way to help with any queries.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with walk in shower
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Elgar096,

I cannot tell you how much we enjoy hosting you every time you come to our hotel. It is guests like you that make us so passionate about what we do, and drive us to do what we do everyday in this business.

We look forward to your next visit to the states and thank you again for the general appreciation you have for the service and accommodations we provide you.

All the best.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Total dump. I'm here for work and seriously wish I had brought flip flops bc the showers are nasty. the staff is super sweet but seriously? i cant believe i was put up here by work. There's tons of mold in the building, I'm suffering from major allergies here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear caztravels,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay both positive and negative. I was very disappointed to here of your comments about the shower and your overall critique of the hotel. We work very hard to provide a comfortable experience for all of our guests and welcome the chance to speak with you to better understand what would compel you to title your review this way.

Our hotel has always enjoyed wonderful customer feedback as evidenced in our rating. While I am always disappointed to hear when a guest did not enjoy their stay, I find it very difficult to understand where your overall critique of our hotel comes from. If you had an issue of cleanliness in your room, we would work quickly to correct it or get you to another room where you would be more comfortable.

I look forward to speaking with you if you can find the time to call me at the hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I'm from NJ but have been on the West Coast for 40 years, and have gotten used to pleasant staff who greet you with friendliness. That is the exception here.

Aside from the beautiful common areas, everything about this hotel is done on the cheap and small side, in spite of the price. If you are 6' tall and 200 lbs, you will not be comfortable in the beds and baths.

As we searched for our room on a dark winter night, we passed empty rooms with doors open to the exterior. This did not enhance our feeling of security!

No water glasses? No alarm clock? Poor wifi? They are not in touch with modern hospitality standards for budget hotels, and they are not a budget hotel.

Some reviewers have enjoyed the breakfast, but we found little that was enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Dennis T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review of your stay with us both positive and negative.

Some of your comments make me a little confused and lead me to believe that you may have reviewed the wrong hotel.

I am not sure what you are referring to as rooms with doors open to the outside. This is not something that we would ever do. In addition, we have a former police officer who heads hotel security and is in the hotel nightly. We take security very seriously, and enjoy the comfort and security of Summit, long considered to be one of the most affluent and safest towns in the country.

The second item that leaves me confused is your comment about no alarm clocks in the room. All of our rooms have a Bose Wave Radio System with alarm clock. They are among the best offered in our industry.very loyal guests consider us one of the best values in the area.

I am also disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy our Full American Breakfast. Buffet. Along with our free WiFi, passes to the Summit YMCA, and free Starbucks Coffee and Tea in our lobby, our guests find us to provide an excellent value.

We work very hard to provide a comfortable experience for all of our guests, and welcome the chance to make all of our guests comfortable when something they do not like is brought to our attention.

If your travels take you to our area again, I hope that you will contact me personally to ensure you get the experience you expect and deserve.

Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

my grandsons communion was at the grand summit the affair was beautiful the workers were so kind and helpful, made the party a huge success. the food and the service was excellent. my family is still talking about it. the best part of the party was staying at the hotel. my husband and i are disabled, when the affair was over we walked out of the ballroom made a right down the hall and out handicap room was right there so easy for both of us not to mention i have a disc problem and wake up every morning in pain had my motrin ready for the morning so strange, the bed was so comfortable i woke up without pain. best night sleep i had in yrs didnt wake up alnight. i highly reccomend the grand summit and my children also stayed over and their room were great they said.and forgot to mention we arrived hrs before the party so we a little hungry we ordered burgers from the hat bar they were the best not the fake frozen burgers really delish, so if you are ever in summit or around the are and need a hotel make this your choice and iam not en employee and have no relationship to the hotel my name is dorothy nicholson

Room Tip: room 117 handicap very comfortable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cuteyface25
Dear cuteyface25,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your stay with us. I was so happy to hear that you found our beds to be the best you ever stayed in. We took our time in selecting that Sealy Posturepedic Pillowtop product, and it feels great when it is endorsed by our customers.

We very much enjoyed hosting you and your family and look forward to the chance to do so again soon.

Thank you again for the time you took to provide us with such wonderful feedback.

Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed May 3, 2013

At a price that, even after a discount, ended up at over $200 for the night, I expected more.

First, the good. A beautiful vintage property in a lovely setting. By north Jersey standards, a welcoming staff. A very nice tavern restaurant with a great breakfast buffet included in the room price.

Then the bad. The most dreadful pillows I've ever put my head down on a hotel bed. No water cups in the bathroom. A paucity of towels. An empty track where the gauze curtains would have been between the windows and the drapes. One window without a screen. The window with the screen completely unfunctional. A parking charge of $10 per night to park in an open, unattended lot.

Guys, I really wanted to like you. You made it very, very hard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dosriveras
Dear dosriveras,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay both positive and negative. We were very excited to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance and setting as well as the service of our staff. We are also disappointed to heat that you expected more for the price.

We are one of the few hotels that provide a hot full American breakfast and free WiFi to all of our guests. In addition we continue to provide free shuttle service to area companies and the downtown, as well as complimentary passes to the Summit YMCA and free Starbucks Coffee and Tea in our hotel lobby.

We will continue to take a look at all of our offerings and where we can improve our product for the guest. We thank you for bringing these items to our attention, and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again to improve on the review you provided.

Please feel free to call me personally if I can assist you with your accommodations.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Summit for the first time this past weekend for our anniversary.
We were very impressed. The staff went out of their way to make it special.
The place is very clean and spacious and everyone is very friendly and helpful.
The breakfast buffet was delicious.
We Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 210greg
Dear 210greg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review of our property and your stay with us. We work very hard to provide the kind of experience you describe in your review, and when it is recognized it means a lot to us.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again soon when your travels take you to our area again.

pennsylvania
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nice looking hotel with an impressive lobby. Staff was courteous and helpful. The room was not large. There was room for a small comfortable chair but all we had was one straight-back desk chair. We didn't find any glasses for the bathroom. Fortunately, we had a couple of plastic motel-type glasses with us. (This was a strange trip as this was the second night in a row we had to use our own glasses -- at both hotels.) The lack of hot water was the real problem. There was enough for my wife's shower but I only managed warm. The water in the sink never got above warm during our stay. When I mentioned it upon checking out, the front desk did immediately call engineering. She said I should have called earlier but there really wasn't time. On the plus side, breakfast was excellent, especially for a buffet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jxw22,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay both positive and negative.

We made a decision a couple of years back to provide pre-wrapped cups in our rooms as opposed to glassware to ensure sanitary conditions for our guests. While there are guests that love it, we understand there are some that don't. We do offer to deliver glassware to the room upon guest request.

I am sorry to hear that you ran into a hot water issue. It is always best to bring this to our attention so that we can rectify the issue to your satisfaction immediately. We work hard to provide you with a comfortable experience, and your satisfaction is very important to us.

We are very happy to hear that you loved the hotel lobby and our beautiful breakfast.

We will review all of your comments and work hard to take corrective action to get us to the 5 circles we strive to achieve from all of our guests.

Please call me personally if I can handle your accommodations when your travels take you to our area again.

Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
BEST WESTERN Turtle Brook Inn

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!