“Nice hotel near New York”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I´ve been in the hotel once a year during the last five. Great location in a historic building, the pool is always on duty, comfortable beds, great victorian lobby, The employees are very nice, most of all the Manager. The hallways are being refurbished. They offer stabucks coffe and tea as complementary in the lobby all day, free shuttle to Summit station (over half an hour from Penn Station); it`s ten minutes walk from the station back to the hotel. Summit is a nice town with great restaurants (I recommend Fiorino`s at Maple Street). Pls take into account this hotel in your next visit to new jersey.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear monito076,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of your stay with us. We appreciate your comments about our location being second to none. We believe we have the most attractive address in the state based on convenience to public transportation and major highways in addition to offering walking distance to a vibrant downtown with over 40 restaurants and bars and boutique shopping.

We thank you for your wonderful comments and look forward to hosting you again soon,

There are newer reviews for Grand Summit Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were very pleased with our trip to the Grand Summit ( 2 grandparents and a 7 year old). The castle-like entry thrilled our youngster, and the bedrooms were comfy and well-cared-for. The pre-Depression elegance of the hotel was great fun.

Breakfasts were plentiful and good, with lots of variety, suiting all members of our party.

It has a nice Swimming Pool, which luckily for us wasn't as deep as the poolside numbers said it should be--about 3' on the shallowest part, and usable by a somewhat water-safe child, but no lifeguard so only with adult supervision. The single disadvantage here was a lack of towels at the pool, which had to be requested specially.

The hotel is a very convenient walk to the train of about 10 - 15 minutes, and the ride to NYC very good from there. The town of Summit has pleasant streets, good shopping, plenty of restaurants and ice cream---

Would recommend this place to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Despite being "In town" , there is little street noise, and evenings are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear cutthroatbrook,

Thank you so much for your glowing review. We should use it as an advertisement for the hotel! It was an absolute pleasure hosting you and your family, and we welcome the opportunity to do so again soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked a reservation at the Grand Summit to attend my aunt's funeral last weekend. I had stayed at the hotel a couple of years ago and found it satisfactory, although a bit shabby and rundown. I booked this time simply because it was in the right location and I had to find something quickly.

Unfortunately, my flight was delayed for 6 hours, and I would have been too late to pick up my rental car and see much of my family, so I cancelled my flight. I called the hotel and asked to cancel the hotel as well. The manager refused, stating that they could not because I booked it on an airline website. The next day, I called the airline website, and they called the hotel asking them to cancel. The hotel again refused, citing their 24 hour cancellation policy. It is now being reviewed by the airline, and I may still get a refund from them.

I find it extremely surprising that a hotel that markets itself as the most prestigeous in the area would refuse such a reasonable request. If not motivated out of simple decency one would expect that they would be more flexible simply because of their reputation. I, personally, would think twice about booking an event or making a reservation with such an establishment.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Luv2travel10471

Dear Luv2travl10471,

Thank you very much for taking a time to provide us with your feedback. Unfortunately, when a reservation is made through a third party site we are not at liberty to cancel the reservation as often times it is pre paid to the site selected. When a guest needs to cancel a reservation made through a third party channel, they are unfortunately required to cancel through them as well.

Our personal hotel policy allows our guests to cancel up to 24 hours prior to arrival without penalty which the majority of our guests have found to be very reasonable.

I hope that you were able to resolve your issue with the airline site you booked your reservation through and I apologize for this inconvenience.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is a decent hotel.

Established in the late 1800's it has a charm to it that is inviting.
This is in no way a modern hotel. It's a old hotel that's been refreshed to modern standards as much as the building structure would allow.

The lobby is large and comfortable with WiFi access, a TV and a coffee / tea bar.
The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating.

For being such an old property I was surprised at how large my room was.
My room had a king sized bed and there was still plenty floor space available for a small desk and dresser which had a coffee maker and Bose sound system placed on it and a flat screen TV on the wall above it.
The bathroom was a bit on the small size and had a tub / shower combination.
There is a iron and board in the closet.
There is WiFi in the rooms.

There is a very small and limited fitness center.
I did not find a business center.
Ample parking.

The hotel itself is located in a residential neighborhood just a short walk form the city center.
Not much around the hotel that is walking distance so a car is a must.

The hotel restaurant / pub is about your only option for dinning without a car.
I was surprised by it's size. It is on the ground floor, quite large inside and a nice patio dining area located just off the parking lot, not much of a view as a result.
I ate there for dinner on a Thursday night. It was crowded with hotel guests and locals.
The service was friendly but slow. My meal quality was good.

Dear mdculpepper,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at hotel with us. We work very hard to provide a comfortable stay for all of our guests and it means a lot to us when it is recognized. We hope to have the chance to host you again soon and thank you for sharing your positive experience with us.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We found this hotel to be like a charming old home with all the amenities of today. The front desk personnel were warm, friendly and assured us of a quiet stay which has been a problem for us in other hotels lately. The lobby was welcoming with an assortment of teas, cold refreshing drinks along with tasty angel food cake. The included brunch was also all you could ask for--everything from fruit and yogurt to waffles and bacon! Not to mention the location which is set in a quiet section of Summit, yet walking distance to many shops and restaurants. Thank you for the wonderful place and service!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole B
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Nicole B,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you provided us regarding your stay with us. We work extremely hard to provide a comfortable experience for all of our guests, and your comments sum up exactly what we strive to deliver.

I am so pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Two years ago I stayed here for a business function. The hotel was creaky, a tad shabby and not super-clean. I stayed here again this month and it had improved. A bit more spruced-up -- though the "service" elevator is really dirty and should not be accessible to guests. Dinner was very good as was a buffet lunch tho the soup was bizarre. Buffet breakfast was plentiful with nice fruit, yogurt & bacon -- but the eggs looked bad and the blueberry pancakes were not warm and like hockey pucks. Also the ceaser chicken salad was mostly limp iceberg with too much dressing. The room was pretty clean with a comfortable bed but several of us agreed the pillows were as hard as rocks.

Dear nycjem,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you provided for us. There is nothing that makes us happier than to see customers return to our hotel, and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel even more your second time through. I also want to acknowledge some of your great comments on the character of the hotel that our customers love when compared to the many chain hotels offered in the area.

We work hard to provide a comfortable experience for all of our guests and it means the world to us when it is recognized.

All of your comments will be shared with our team.

We look forward to hosting you again soon when you return to the area.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Grand Summit is a bit expensive for what you get! The location is good, Summit is a beautiful little town. However, the hotel rooms are quite small and dated. Not very impressed with what the hotel offers for the money. Slow internet... Also charging nearly 10$ for parking when there's plenty of room around feels like a bit of a rip off. Only good thing is the breakfast, it was pretty good for a free breakfast (yay Starbucks coffee!).

In short: decent place to stay if you're traveling in the area, but overall not very good quality/price ratio.

Dear jfbibeau,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with a review. We appreciate your comments both positive and negative from your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be expensive as we have worked very hard to maintain the many guest amenities despite not raising our rates.

We are one of the few hotels in the area that offers a Full American Hot Breakfast, Free WiFi, passes to the Summit YMCA, an Outdoor Pool and the Starbucks Coffee that you so proudly promoted for us! We are big fans of the product too! That being said we will continue to look at ways to increase the value for our guests.

Thank you again for the the time you took to provide your comments. We thank you very much for your business!

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!