“Simply not good enough for none-locals”
Review of DeBary Inn

DeBary Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Summit B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have chosen this place due to the proximity to the venue I needed to visit and the good reviews on tripadvisor. However not sure why the ratings are so high.
The room I got (#11) was small. No desk for laptop to work on. Small size TV. Poor noise isolation. It was heated and there was no obvious mean to control the air-condition installed in the room. SO why didn't you call the reception??
Well, there is no one at the reception from 18:00-07:20, the exact hours which a normal business man would be at the hotel. Breakfast is due from 07:00AM but it was never there in time. Since I had to leave the hotel around 07:15, I never saw it...
I also checked in very early on my first day 06:00AM/ I had to stay outside until someone left the Inn and opened the door for me...
This place is not suitable for business man, which is not local. It is also over-priced.
The good?
It is close (walking dist.) to a train station that can take you directly into Manhattan.
The building itself is nice and well decorated.

I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Asafpld
fdebary, General Manager at DeBary Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear Asafpld,

We appreciate your review and thoughts regarding our inn, as we take all feedback seriously. The front desk hours are actually from 7:00 A.M. until 6:00 P.M., and breakfast is served promptly at 7:00 A.M. The standard check-in time is 3:00 P.M. however, with a phone call, I am happy to allow an early check-in as well as be present for you outside of our desk hours. I apologize the inn was vacant at 6:00 A.M. Our inn has served as a central hub to countless corporate businesses, local and abroad, for many years now. We strive to serve the business traveler! I encourage you to return to our establishment in the future and look forward to accommodating you.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

The DeBary Inn was recommended by a co-worker and I'm glad he did. Well priced, lovely beds and in a quiet location. We reserved by telephone and met with Jon the Innkeeper as well as Mike, one of the co-owners who was taking care of things on the Sunday of our two day stay the weekend of 10/11 March 2012. The two gentlemen were most pleasant and made us feel as very welcome guests. We will definitely be back?

Stayed: March 2012

Dear Stephen R,

Thank you for staying with us and I will look forward to your next stay. Give me a call in the future to book rooms in case you’re working in the area!

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed at the DeBary Inn in January and February 2012 for a few nights each stay. Both stays were excellent. So much more relaxed and comfortable than a traditional hotel. I appreciated the security of the Inn and the ability to stroll down to Summit where you have a host of dining options to choose from. You are not restricted to some fast food junk place or having to eat at a hotel restaurant for exorbitant prices. The staff at the Inn are wonderful - so welcoming and they would do anything for you. They really do make you feel at home and encourage you to make yourself at home - this is one of the highlights of the Inn. The rooms are extremely comfortable and really charming. The breakfast room is a wonderful place to start the day - and again, very relaxed. And the lounge with the wonderful cosy fire is a lovely place to spend sometime in the evening with a good book and a glass of wine (or one of their delicious home baked chocolate chip cookies) ! So to sum up - I would highly recommend the DeBary Inn!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Dear SharonR511,

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor, Sharon! I’m glad you find the inn comfortable and cozy. I look forward to your visit this summer when I will be making smoothies and ice cream sandwiches with my home baked chocolate chip cookies.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Had a nice stay at the DeBary Inn. Nice location near downtown Summit. Jon is super friendly and helpful. I'll definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: I understand that full size rooms can be a bit small. My queen size room was a nice size.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear Fish_Chowder,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a comment about your stay!

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Our single-night stay at The DeBary Inn occurred 3 years after the previous one. Its service has declined noticeably. Upon arrival we saw only a maid, who did a fantastic job cleaning and polishing. However, obvious oversights were evident in our Room (# 10). While small, we chose it because we intended only to rest overnight before we drove home through three states. The most annoying oversight was the lack of storage for personal toiletries near the sink or in the small shower room. The tiny sink had a tacky, 1 ½ ft drainage tube emptying into it from an overhead A/C unit. The sheets were not as described (ironed) and the pillow casings were ill-fitting; we remade the bed with a bleach-stained blanket. Fortunately we both slept well on the comfortable mattress and our room temperature was cozy. As in 2008, we anticipated a delicious hot breakfast with more than one entrée. Not so this time. The employee present repeatedly asked if we needed anything but did not mention any choices. Many 2011 online reviews praised the eggs made by the Innkeeper but he was absent. We had a Continental-style breakfast with a fair amount of mediocre food: hard-boiled eggs, ripe bananas, frozen OJ, cold cereal, yogurt, and self-made oatmeal. The bakery bread was OK; the cheese coffee cake was stale; no condiments had serving spoons or a butter knife. There was no invitation to enjoy sherry before retiring as in 2008. Finally, the very tight parking & overgrown hedges, which partially obscured the street, convinced us not to return to The DeBary. This Inn needs a touch of class to return its reputation. Previously, we thought it rivaled a Cape May B&B of distinction.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peg H

Dear Peg H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our inn. I would like to apologize for the confusion, as the previous owners Anita and Hill Rose, ran the DeBary Inn as a full service bed and breakfast. We, however, have since changed management, and, therefore, the breakfast, and services to the standard of an inn offering complimentary Wi-Fi, free parking, and a great continental buffet, we think it reflects kindly of the inn’s style. Thank you for your acute observation of certain details, as I have taken note to address them as soon as possible. We do hope you will return to stay with us when you’re in the area. I think you would find our weekly barbecues held in the summer, or weekly wine & cheese gatherings, are a hit among our guests. I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have stayed here many times and enjoyed the "at home" atmosphere accomplished at many of the European B&B's where I have stayed over the years. It is close to the NYC train a the downtown with great little restaurants, so convenient for both business and pleasure. It has the advantage of a friendly, casual Ameican style that is welcoming to all. It is in a lovely old Summit home with Jon as a great Inn Keeper. The wine and cheese party offers the opportunity to have fun and meet the other guests.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Deer deedeenye,

Thank you Dee Dee for the excellent review! I always look forward to chatting and catching up when you’re in town. Thank you for joining our barbecues over the summer and participating in our wine & cheese gatherings. You’re a great regular guest and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

As always, Jon's capable management made my stay special. The wine and cheese party was an added bonus. Already looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Every room is with trying!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear Patti O,

Thank you for joining us at our weekly wine & cheese gatherings. Once summer rolls around you will have to return for the barbecues!

Jon Fuzell (General Manager) & Mike Haley (Owner)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Grand Summit Hotel
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 4 in West Orange

Been to DeBary Inn? Share your experiences!