“Great food, abominable, inattentive service”
Review of Huntley Taverne

Huntley Taverne
Ranked #4 of 71 Restaurants in Summit
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Hong Kong, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, abominable, inattentive service”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Summit is such a black spot for good dining out options, that the Huntley Tavern stands out for its great food. The menu is vast and varied, the chefs can really cook a whole range of dishes, and the portion sizes are excellent. The Huntley, though, is both an acoustical disaster and needs to train its staff better. When you make a reservation for 8 pm, as our group of four did, you expect to be seated -- if not promptly -- at least within 15 minutes or so of arrival. If not, you would think the manager or hostess would advise you of the wait time. Instead, after handing our car over to the valet, we were shepherded into the Huntley's horrid, overcrowded holding pen of a bar area. Wall-to-wall people were bumped aside by waiters carrying food and drinks. It was a mid-week dinner, but considering there aren't many fine-dining options in Summit, I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise that the Huntley was packed. Placing a bar order required shouting from a distance. We stood around, ducking wait staff, and had to ask twice when we'd be seated. When we were finally seated in the rustic room to the right of the entrance some 30 minutes after arrival, we found the place still noisy enough so that we couldn't speak in normal tones to each other. We also found a curious division among wait staff, with one guy seemingly only able to bring bread, another the wine we ordered and a third our food. And there was a disconnect. Asking one staffer to advise the other of a wish just didn't seem to work, including one time when we clearly asked for some new silverware from the bread guy, who nodded, then went to stand in a corner and watch other tables for their bread need. Again, the food -- priced fairly, prepared extremely well -- redeemed this trip. I was impressed at the quality of my steak and the actual hot, pink center that was medium, just as I had ordered it. A vegetarian friend also loved her entree. Relative to other places in Summit, the Huntley is a good choice. Maybe we came on an off-night for wait staff, catching them at the tail end of service on a busy shift, but I didn't like the curt manner of the hostess and wondered why three servers couldn't communicate and serve us better at our table.

• Visited February 2013

Union, South Carolina
“Wonderful place!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is one of my most favorite places in and around Summit. The food is farm to table for the most part and changes seasonally. I have yet to have anything here I didn't like. Many of their dishes contain truffle oil - the best being, in my opinion, the truffled mac and cheese. Blows away any of the mac and cheese I've had before. But their pizzas, entrees, desserts are really great. You can't go wrong. They also have a wonderful wine list and fun cocktails.

What also stands out is the ambiance. For me, that's one of the major draws. For dinner on most nights they have free valet service. When you leave, they provide you with free mints and bottles of water. The place is like a big barn with a slanting roof. The bar is always fun and lively. In the winter there is a roaring fireplace. In the summer they open up all the windows in the patio. I recommend this place highly.

• Visited April 2013
Colts Neck, New Jersey
“Great Food... Great Space...”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was invited to dinner last week in Summit to the Huntley & was blown away... great space, looks like a ski lodge ( the snow falling outside helped ) the bar was very pleasant with great beers on tap... Dinner was awesome... we had calamari salad, tuna tartar for appitizers... 2 guys had steak & one went for swordfish... excellent choices all around... desserts were great & the staff were top notch.. Will be back !!!

• Visited March 2013
London
“Excellent Restaurant And Bar”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

This Place Is A Must For Any Visitors To Summit. Great Atmosphere And Super Open Fire. Non Intrusive But Attentive Service And Great Food!

Pretty Expensive Though...But For A Treat Its Worth It.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great lunch!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I came here for lunch with colleagues, and we all loved our meals. The soup special was superb, and the service was excellent.

Visited February 2013