“Service, attitude STINKS!”

Dining options: Reservations
Summit, New Jersey
“Service, attitude STINKS!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I would have to agree with the MAJORITY of reviewers and say I can't wait for them to go out of business so something good can go in there. My friend had a groupon. I would think restaurants offer groupon discounts to get new customers. Well, they lost me. First of all, they charged for bread and didn't tell us.I don't know any restaurants in the US which do this. Because the cuisine is somewhat exotic for most unfamiliar with this culture, wouldn't it be nice if the owner was friendly and explained some of the dishes? We were the only customers for over an hour and there was no interaction in this SMALL place. We asked if we could taste the special persian ice cream before ordering, and he said no. What is he--the Persian food nazi?The owner seems absolutely bent on getting rid of customers. My friend's "stew" was inedible--and I'm not a picky eater. At the end, the owner insulted us by putting a 20% gratuity automatically on the bill--there were only TWO of us. We would have given that to the waitress anyway, but considering most restaurants would NEVER do this, I found it insulting and just another way to force customers to pay. I cannot believe this place stays in business. However, we did notice the owner was VERY friendly with his friends who came after us. Guess we were just not that special. By the way--it is REMARKABLE that there are a huge number of reviewers that have been disgusted by this place and echo my sentiments exactly. I guess some people who like it have iron stomachs and enjoy being treated like dirt. There are other restaurants in Summit which go out of their way to be friendly and have decent food. Let's stick with those.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank TycoChelseaLily

Burlington, Vermont
“World Class Hummus, Restaurant Owned/Run By Lovely Young Couple”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

While working in Summit, NJ, we had already picked up some wraps at another restaurant, but on a hunch on the way back to the office we stopped at Negeen Persian Grill to pick up some hummus to go.

The verdict: the warm hummus with olive oil we enjoyed from Negeen Persian Grill is "World Class" - think "Abu Ghosh" - the Arab Israeli town just outside of Jerusalem, think Yotam Ottolenghi's and Sami Tamimi's recipe from their cookbook "Jerusalem."

If I return to Summit, I'll stop by Negeen Persian Grill!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank GlobalVillage
Florham Park, New Jersey
“Persian”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We visited this establishment a couple of times this past year. Our last visit will be our last. Persian cuisine is not common in our neck of the woods, so you really can't know what things on the menu taste like. You go to places like this for the adventure of trying something completely different. My wife had ordered a plate, supposedly a special, as recommended by the waiter, who is also the owner. The dinner arrives and you can't wait to taste it. This meal though, tasted like absolute crap! Everyone of our group tasted it and agreed that it was terrible! We told this to the owner/waiter and it was something that he didn't want to hear! We told him that we would like something else in its place! Short of him having a hissy fit, he returned to the kitchen and then out comes his wife, and she didn't want to hear anything negative about her cooking! Her answer to the problem was to say in the nastiest tone, "Well, if you didn't like it, you shouldn't have ordered it!" What kind of restaurateur says this kind of thing to a patron? We didn't ask for a substitute by causing a scene! We calmly said what we thought about the meal, and could we order something else in its place!
These 2 restauranteurs are very arrogant in their manner and I can not recommend this place to anyone. Just avoid this place!
ps the rest of the meal was nothing to rave about either!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Joe L
new jersey
“Wife dragged me”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

You know it was okay. There was a lot of hype about the place, and while the food was pleasant....it wasn't memorable.

Service was just okay. My wife was not impressed either because we have not been back since the first visit.

Visited December 2012
Leonia, New Jersey
“Rude owner, mediocre food”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I thought the friends who we were joining for dinner made a reservation. The place was empty. We were seated. When our friends joined my wife and me the owner asked my friends what name the reservation was under and we learned then that they had not made a reservation. The owner then looked at me and said with some kind of a snarl or snarky tone, "Why did you say you had a reservation?" to which I replied, "I thought my friends who invited us had made a reservation." Again, the place was next to empty. Like I needed to hear tone when I go out to eat in a place which serves only mediocre food? The owner is a simple jerk. The rest of the staff was quite polite. But in short, the food is mediocre, at best. Definitely wouldn't return to the restaurant for the food.

• Visited November 2013