“Poor event staff”

The Reeds at Shelter Haven
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stone Harbor
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I recently held my wedding at The Reeds and unless they have a complete staff overhaul, I would not recommend this venue. It is ashame b/c the setting is quite lovely. However, they do not hold to their word and then give a standard answer about training staff better when things go wrong. The head of sales even went as far as insinuating that my mother and father, who paid for the wedding, were liars. The event staff is poor and needs schooling in customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Molly M
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Hello Molly,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. When speaking with your mother the other day she mentioned that everything with the wedding was great with the exception of one detail. We receive so many wonderful reviews about our events at The Reeds so I sincerely apologize that your thoughts on our property and your wedding were tarnished.

Because it is very important to me and my team that every event detail is executed to perfection, when your concern regarding the placement of the complimentary beer upgrade was brought to our attention, we immediately did research. Our food and beverage director, beverage manager, and bartenders confirmed that all four cases of beer, that we specifically ordered for your wedding at no additional charge, were purchased and placed at your banquet bars. Likewise your Event Coordinator personally saw guests of your wedding with these beer selections. We do not carry these at our hotel bars; therefore, we know that it was offered to your guests exclusively.

I only wish that your mother had mentioned this concern during your wedding. If she would have brought it to our attention at that time, we would have been happy to have provided her the beer selection of her choice.

Thank you, once again, for your feedback. We would like to congratulate you and Randy on your marriage. Your wedding was beautiful and we look forward to hopefully seeing you back at The Reeds in the near future.

Best Regards,

Julie

There are newer reviews for The Reeds at Shelter Haven

Reviewed March 16, 2014

The hotel is located at the corner of an intersection very close to the downtown stores and restaurants.

Upon arrival, there is a small turn-in/offloading area in which to park, get your bags out the car and enter the hotel. There was no actual parking space available to pull into, but being the slow season, we did not block any other guests arriving at the same time. I asked about parking: in the winter season you can use any parking spot available along the town’s streets since the parking meters are not operational. On both nights I was able to find a parking space within one block of the hotel. However, in the summer months the hotel staff told me that only valet parking is available.

When I gave my name to check-in, the attendant could not find my name in the system. I had my confirmation document with me that clearly stated my arrival date being March 14 and departure date as March 16th. After a few minutes the attendant called a manager and she took over assisting me. After 10 or so minutes, the manager informed me that someone had moved the booking to mid-summer. However, since the mistake was obviously theirs, they gave me a free upgrade to a Deluxe Suite from a Standard Guest Room. The whole check-in process took 15+ minutes – and while a little disconcerting, the staff were all very professional and courteous.

The suite – which had a balcony view overlooking a small bay – was spacious, very clean, comfortable, and filled with modern conveniences. Their website provides an accurate summary of what’s included in the room. The most challenging issue was learning how to adjust the modern lighting system; but this was quickly mastered.

I did not have a meal or go to the bar in the hotel, but each evening the restaurant and bar were packed (and this was the end of the off-season).

Checkout was uneventful, although it took at least 10 minutes. I’m not sure why it took so long.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thanks for your extensive review here on TripAdvisor. I'm glad we we able to accommodate you with a Deluxe Suite in exchange for the mix-up - we pride ourselves on showing guests an enjoyable and relaxing stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

All the best,

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at the Reeds the night before my sister's baby shower, which was also held at the hotel in their event space. The room that we had was absolutely breathtaking - everything is so crisp, so clean, so new. I love that they offer Malin+Goetz as their bathroom amenities - first class down to the bath soap! I also love that the guestrooms have that gorgeous hardwood floors that they had imported from Holland. There is just something so clean and classy about having hardwood instead of carpet!

The staff at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. The housekeeping staff is pleasant and friendly, and pay a great attention to detail. The location is great, and the view - whether of the town or bay - is amazing. The banquet space and food were also fantastic,and the overall event was a total success. The sales team - especially Julie, Krista, and Leslie - made our "dream" event happen. Victoria, the banquet manager, as well as her staff, ran the show and helped us with anything and everything that we needed. I can't wait to stay there again, and hopefully host another event soon!

Room Tip: Check to see if a room with a fireplace is available - I think there are only one or two!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Happy to see you enjoyed everything about your stay, including the Malin+Goetz soaps — even the littlest details make a big difference. It was a pleasure helping host your sister's baby shower and we hope you'll join us again soon. Thanks so much for supporting us with a five-star review and come back soon.

Take care,

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed for 2 nights for a work function. The meeting rooms and hotel rooms were great with a very accommodating and friendly staff. Hotel room had plenty of "extras" to make you feel at home. Great location in the heart of Stone Harbor (96th street restaurants/shopping). Look forward to staying again in the future.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for the five-star review! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed working and staying with us and will make a point of passing along your compliments to the rest of the team. We pride ourselves on being a great place for both business and pleasure - glad that was your experience. Until next time, take care!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was planning on a stay in July, but based on the behavior of the front desk staff I've decided against it. I spoke with Keith, who was quite rude and dismissive; I was just asking simple questions. Looking back, I see that this staff person has been singled out on Tripadvisor before as a problem. I teach at a University with at Hospitality program and know lots of polite, hard-working kids who need a job, and would NEVER consider treating potential hotel guests rudely.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank James K
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Good Afternoon James,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear this and apologize for your experience with our guest services agent. This behavior isn't representative of our services, as we work so hard to provide our guests with the friendliest possible experience from the very start. With this said, I will be sure to explore this situation with our front desk.

I truly appreciate your bringing this to my attention and if you do wish to visit The Reeds this summer, please reach out to me directly 609.368.0100 ext.2000. I would love to assist.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We attended a function at this hotel and decided to stay the night. Check-in was easy and quick. Room was bright, clean and had everything we needed. Food at event was very good. Would recommend and stay again. Valet parking is available, we used street parking since it was easy on off season. Close to many stores and places to eat downtime. Only several blocks to beach-easy walking.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank cvandenbraak
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thanks for taking a moment to share your wonderful experience with others! It's gratifying to hear you enjoyed everything from the food to the rooms, as we put so much care into all aspects of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife treated me to an excellent birthday dinner at the Reeds in Stone Harbor, NJ. This was our first visit. It was cold outside but very pleasant inside. Theresa our waitress offered seats by the fireplace and it was a welcome suggestion. The French Onion soup was very good and the crab cake my wife had was one of the best she has had. My 8oz filet was perfectly prepared. Prices were within reason for the excellent meal, Don't skip the delicious in house made deserts.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

I'm happy we could make your birthday dinner that much more special, Bob. Thank you for sharing this with others! We always appreciate compliments about our food and service, so I'll make a point of passing along to the team; Theresa, included. Until next time, take care.

Best wishes,

#1 of 7 in Lower Township
Congress Hall
Congress Hall
#5 of 37 in Cape May

Been to The Reeds at Shelter Haven? Share your experiences!