“Cool place to explore”

The Wetlands Institute
More attraction details
Owner description: This nature center features exhibits on local marine life, along with activities like kayaking and dune walks.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Two of us came here to explore a little and take some photos. It was a cold and slightly rainy day, so it wasn't the best time to come, but overall, it was pretty decent. A nice place to walk around a little and you get to see some cool things. As a photographer, I truly enjoyed the different opportunities for things to capture images of.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was visiting my family back east, and although they're not birders, they decided to go with me to the Migration Festival that was held at the Wetlands Institute this past September. I'm so glad we went. This is a really nice facility with butterfly gardens and an overlook to the wetlands. There is also a trail that goes out into the wetlands area where you can take a quiet nature walk or watch for birds. Inside the building there is a a room with some live exhibits. We especially loved seeing the octopus. (I didn't know that an octopus is as intelligent as a cat. This little guy seemed very interested in observing the people coming up to his tank.) The facility also has a good-sized meeting room, which is where we saw a live birds demonstration as part of the festival. There's an entrance fee but it's for a good cause.

1  Thank PhotoTripper_10
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We spent the perfect September day at the migration festival at the Wetlands Institute! In 4 hours, we saw a demonstration of Retrievers, held a tarantula, corn snake, starfish, gecko, and turtle, released a monarch butterfly on its migration to Mexico after we learned how to identify its sex and tagged it, released a baby terrapin into the bay to begin its life in the wild, attended a demonstration of 4 live birds from the Philly Zoo, had a picnic lunch, and learned mountains of information from the incredibly friendly staff. We didn't find time for the kid craft stations because there was too much else to see and do! Our 5 year old rated it better than the previous day when we had the beach to ourselves in 80 degree weather. If you and your family enjoy nature, make time to visit this place the next time you're 'down the shore.'

Reviewed September 18, 2013

While on a vacation in Stone Harbor, we decided to take an afternoon to visit the Wetlands Institute. Luckily we arrived right before the Wetlands Safari guided tour which was excellent. The guide was very knowledgeable, a young woman that heads outreach and education programs. We saw Osprey nesting and hunting, fiddler crabs, ate pickle grass. The scenery was gorgeous, the tour fun. It also has a very nice gift shop--great for gifts; and there was a short film preceding the tour. All well worth the visit. If you've spent too much time in the sun, go visit the wetlands.

2  Thank smallino7416
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been visiting the Wetlands Institute since I was a little girl and now enjoy bringing my 7 year old son there. The programs they host are great for the entire family. We often go to family nights which feature various topics and my son had done a week of day camp there for the past two years. This has really helped him appreciate nature and the importance of conservancy. It is amazing what he has learned through these programs. The opportunity to walk through the marsh is also wonderful but bring bug spray!

1  Thank jacmonster