“good food, drinks, price, and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Carney's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Carney's
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in beautiful Stone Harbor, NJ Carneys Restaurant and Bar features great Fun, Food & Drinks for everyone! Come with your family and bring the kids! Carney’s is sure to be one of the favorite Stone Harbor family restaurants serving up a wonderful selection of burgers, large salads, steaks and seafood, with a special emphasis on our Raw Bar executed by renowned local operator Fred Sylvester.When the sun goes down Carney’s heats up with great entertainment. Come and enjoy the areas best cover bands on the weekends & DJ’s on Monday & Tuesday during the week. On Wednesdays be entertained by Mike Le Compt Live! Every Thursday is Karaoke – Starting the 3rd week of June Dueling Pianos on Sunday.
freeland
“good food, drinks, price, and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

first time here and was not sure what to expect, turned out very pleasantly surprised. the food was really good!!! had the sangria, which was great! prices were very good, and our waitress and bartender were personable, quick, and informative!!! very good, will definitely go back!!!

Midlothian, Virginia
“Great drinks, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Very nice waitress, helpful in assisting with selection. But the crab Imperial was gummy and the flounder wrapped around it was non descript.

Abington, Pennsylvania
“What's old is new again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

A trip to Stone Harbor, NJ always included a stop at Henney's (now Carney's) restaurant. We were so pleased and surprised by the bright and light feel of the new open decor of Carney's. Gone was the dark, smokey pub atmosphere replaced with sunny windows and fresh smoke free dining. I had a wonderful early bird special and my husband had stuffed flounder which he was very happy with. The early bird included a full salad, entree and dessert. Street parking and an off site parking lot were available nearby. A children's menu was also available. Would definitely recommend it for shore dining and will definitely go back to try it for lunch.

Wildwood Crest
“Great food... great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Early bird specials are an amazing value and extremely tasty. $20 For salad, entree and dessert. Service was excellent, and atmosphere was perfect. We will be back for sure!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Crestgirl22
Pomfret, Connecticut, United States
“Worst experience in a bar ever, who is managing this place??!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I hate giving bad reviews but this was the worst experience I have ever had in a bar. I can't recommend anyone spend their hard money here unless they have a miracle turn-around, or my experience was some rare fluke (which I highly doubt).

I see Carney's has some good reviews on Yelp, and they claimed to have won some awards for their burgers, so I hope this review helps them get their game together.

This was Thursday night, and they were pretty busy on the restaurant side, but we were able to grab a seat at the bar which was busy, but not packed. There were open seats all around the rather large bar. This is a tourist town and it is busy, being busy should not be an excuse, you need to perform!

They started out with two bartenders on. Later on a third bartender showed up, but that was after the bar started emptying out because the Phillies lost to the Mets.

The bartenders had no flow at all. They took excruciatingly long to acknowledge people all around the bar and get peoples first drinks. It took myself and my girlfriend 20 minutes to get our first drink order in.

We were in before happy hour which had 1 dollar oysters, but by the time we got any attention happy hour had wrapped up. No dice on getting an order of oysters at the buck a shuck deal since it was on their delay.

My double Tanqueray & Tonic ended up being a watered down single made with well gin in a large glass with flat tonic, which would have been OK if it didn't take another ten minutes to make, and didn't cost 10 dollars.

Every one else at the bar was having the same experience, and we all exchanged incredulous looks and comments about the speed of service. Way too many people sitting with empty glasses, your losing money people!!! I have seen a single bartender in a bar packed with people sitting and standing turn drinks over quicker. The bartender would take a single order, and disappear all the way over to the other end of the bar. You need to be able to make more than one drink order at a time, especially when most were for beer!

We ordered a starter, a tomato soup for my girlfriend, and a raw bar cold plate for me which had a mix of some shrimp cocktail, lump crab, oysters, and little neck clams.

After twenty minutes went by I asked how our order was coming along, and the guy looked at my with a puzzled look, and asked me what our order was, and wrote it down again. The reason being is that he forgot to put the order in the first time.

I then had to flag down the woman bartender some time later to ask her how or order was coming. My big concern was not the time, but that I had a hunch that the other bartender didn't check that the raw bar order was ready, and it was now sitting at the raw bar ready getting warm. It was, but they lied through their teeth and told me they just made it.

The somewhat cold raw bar plate was mediocre at best. The presentation had a bunch of lettuce and garnish. Strange! Some advice, just used crushed ice, they used ice cubes, and covered it with lettuce. Don't put the lump crab cocktail directly on the lettuce and garnish, put it in a metal dish. By the end I had crab soaking in melted ice-cube water. Another tip, try de-veining the shrimp, get ALL of the shell off, and don't cook them for so long. Your basically serving frozen farmed tiger shrimp that has been boiled in plain water for way too long!

They actually got a second round of drinks correct, but I had to get the other bartender, and let he know that her partner stiffed me on the first one! Later on they had a malfunction with the tonic water.

I ordered a burger after being told by the bartender that they were really good, and getting a reassurance that they could cook it rare to order. The burger came out well, and I was finally able to flag the bartender down to send it back. The second burger came out overcooked as well, but I gave up at the point.

Based on the overcooked burger I have no idea how they won any awards for burgers. The burger was like meatloaf, way to dense. Who ever made it in the kitchen overworked the ground beef big time. If your going to serve a hand formed patty don't let the line cook work the thing into a pulp. It needs to be formed lightly so that it isn't tough.

We sat next to a very nice older couple who owned property in town. The service managed to disappoint this couple too, they were pretty nice about it, but they told us they would never be back.

This may have been a bad night, but I doubt it, they just missed to many of the basics. The bartenders, although nice, really need to focus more on being fast, instead of explaining why they are so slow. They also need to lose the chewing gum, chomp chomp chomp chomp.

I don't know what the management is doing in this place but they really should wake up. They are missing sales because people are leaving annoyed. They are aggravating the locals.

3 Thank Freefall_Doug