“Last time any of us would eat here!”
Review of Stockton Inn

Stockton Inn
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Stockton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge St
Description: Established in 1710, this is the inn that was immortalized by Richard Rodgers in the song "There's a small hotel with a wishing well" sung in the Broadway play On Your Toes. The inn was first built as a private residence and is believed to have been converted in 1832. Come and explore the over 300 year old Stockton Inn, nestled in the quaint borough of Stockton, New Jersey. Romantic dining is served in the exquisite mural rooms with fireside seating during the colder months. In the warmest months of the year, savor your meal and your surroundings while dining on the patio alongside two waterfalls and beautifully integrated gardens.
Reviewed May 23, 2009

A party of four all agreed: last time! We were told the specials - waiter leaves us. Comes back and said "no prime rib end cuts left." Then he says and we don't have any more prime rib either. We ordered sirloin strip - medium rare. Came through as medium. Even though we all ordered different cook times, the server, not waiter, put the dishes down not even knowing who ordered it prepared in a specific way. One ordered rice instead of potato - while the waiter said fine, the server just brought it with potato and when questioned, said "we're out of rice." The rolls were hard and re-warmed. After, the hostess asked how everything was. But when told okay - not good, she seemed upset by our response and offered no apology. A class establishment would have apologized and even offered a free dessert. The quality of the experience was not aligned to the prices. And the room we were in was empty. No excuses of being crowded!

2  Thank LeePetaluma
innsdvisor, Owner and Manager at Stockton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2009

Our prime rib night is planned carefully for each week. Those that come in early get exactly as they request since we usually put on three roasts or up to 45 very large 16 ozs of Prime Rib. Stating that the place was empty is not accurate since we sell out of it each week and the end cuts are often most cherished. That night we served over 150 diners. They apparently arrived late in the evening just before closing time. The server recalled them and confirmed this. He is highly professional and has been with us for 3 years working every tuesday.

As I have stated in other owner management responses, every staff member knows that we focus on making and keeping our customers happy and always offer an option of a drink or dessert if we have missed a beat on their dinner. Apparently the customer stated everything was fine as they were consuming the food but raised complaints when the check was presented.

The note here is on Saturday May 23rd and our prime rib night is every tuesday so I assume they dined at the inn on Tuesday May 19th. I am here virtually every day and their concerns were not brought up. Perhaps it is their last trip to the inn but since staff did not recognize them, I am not certain they have been to the inn before.

Reviewed March 3, 2009

My husband & I went there for dinner on Valentines Day. From the moment we walked in you could see the room was overly crowded. There were so many tables crammed into the glass/garden room you could only walk in a single file line and could barely avoid passing your buttock over someone's table while trying to get to yours. I called weeks in advance to reserve a table by the window and was not given one. I ordered a drink I didn't like, told the waiter and ordered a different drink, he seemed to be very bothered by that. When we finally got our 3 rolls they weren't done and were doughy inside. We sent them back and got 3 more that were fully cooked and tasty. My husband never recieved the second drink he ordered. We only saw a few waiters or waitresses with most of the service being provided by bus boys. The salads were ok, nothing special for the price. My husband ordered a scallop dish which we found to be tasty, except for the grit and the under cooked greenbeans. I ordered surf & turf, it came with the same under cooked greenbeans, the meat was very dry and the lobster tail was tastless. We ordered coffee and shared desert which we enjoyed. The service was extremly slow, we were there for two and a half hours. I couldn't take it any more and stood up at our table hoping to draw attention to myself so that someone would come and pick up our check so that we could leave, all the while planning not to complain. After seeing me standing the owner/manager approached us and asked about our dinner, so with that I let him know, also mentioning that most places would have taken off the $8.00 for the martini which I ordered and didn't like or drink. He responed by telling me I should have asked for a taste before I ordered the drink , and that they shouldn't have to pay for it just because I didn't like it. We never asked for it to be taken off but pointed out that most other places would have taken it off and mentioned it because he ask. He dismissed our complaints and blamed it on the busyness of the night never offering an apology for any of it. My husband and I have not eaten there in several years but are guessing that's it's under new owners/ management, vastly different from the classy place it was at one time, don't be decieved by the looks. We found the waiter to be very short, almost rude and the manager/owner the same. Our dinner total came to $140.00, not nearly worth it.

2  Thank hbunnyihop247
innsdvisor, Owner and General Manager at Stockton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2009

We served over 400 people on Valentines Day and this is the only complaint. I'll take it. Obviously we did not meet her expectations and that falls squarely on my shoulders. Being there the whole night and working closely with our new chef, if the customer does not let me know of their dissatisfaction there is not much I can do. The chef previously obtained a 3 star michelin rating and has a very focused way of working healthy style vegetables and salads into many dishes. The customer never spoke with me and I am the only manager. If she had spoke with me she would have known I was the owner. Virtually all customers that order martinis are very specific because it becomes an acquired taste. All my staff take an item off the check when a concern is raised. Our martinis are huge - almost 10 ounces with roughly 5 ounces of liquor.

Reviewed January 31, 2009

I wish I had visited this site to read the reviews of this restaurant. My husband and I recently "dined" there during the week. There were no more than six other tables being served so an excuse of being busy is not acceptable. My husband ordered the NY strip steak and asked that i be rare. After a 50 minute wait (not kidding), his steak was brought to the table. Thing is, it wasn't steak. It was fish. He cannot eat fish. The waitress practically insisted that it was fish he ordered, not steak. Strike 2. She grabbed the plate and took it away. As far as we were concerned, dinner was ruined. Twenty minutes later (I was finished with my own dinner by then), the steak arrived. It was medium, boarding on the well done side. Strike 3. Deciding to just give up, he began to eat only to find that he needed to chisel his way through a fat and chewey vein. The vegetables were cold. We figured it was useless to put up a stink as we had decided that we wouldn't visit this place again. When he finished what he could of his dinner, the waitress SLAPPED dessert menus on the table in front of us but we declined and asked for the check which took another 15 minutes to arrive. I know wait staff make most of their income from the tips. We left her not a penny. How a place can stay in business treating customers this way is beyond me. How the word about their service and attitude hasn't spread like wild fire is baffeling. How people can post favorable reviews of this restaurant is mind blowing. Giving this a rating of only 1 star is generous as I wish there was a negative scale to choose from. I don't know how many people are like us who haven't visited sites like this are out there but if you're reading this, I beg you to try somewhere else. This was the most horrible dining experience we've ever had including McDonald's, KFC, and Burger King. It's a complete and total rip off, a waste of time, and downright insulting that they take your money.

4  Thank Janet1234
innsdvisor, Owner/General Manager at Stockton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2009

It is very difficult to see these types of reviews. My staff works diligently to provide the very best in service, food and atmosphere. In three years the business and quality have sigificantly increased as has our consistency. In every instance because of my background in engineering, sales, and the food industry, first and foremost we focus on taking great care of all customers. Our philosophy is not to meet a custoemrs expectations but to far exceed them especially in light of issues that crop up in every business. Without customers every business fails. This is why our business has substancially grown since we took over.

I have learned that when a customer provides a critical complaint with great detail, I get all staff involved in understanding the issue and the best way to exceed their expectations. Unfortunately some customers refuse to be satisfied no matter what is provided or how it is addressed. When an issue suddenly evolves in to every aspect of their dinner, I question the real intent.

Reviewed November 8, 2008

I have lived in 5 states and in three different countries. Having spent many years working in the restaurant industry before switching to healthcare, I carry high standards when I go out to eat. Having been to the Stockton on several occassions, I have had nothing other than exceptional service, food and atmosphere. The food is timed perfectly, presentation wonderful, portions siginificant for the price and staff that is professional and friendly. Great work and Thank you!

Reviewed September 5, 2008

Too bad. I was looking forward to going here for dinner with a friend I had not seen in years. I will be up in New Jersey for my 30th High School reunion in October and have already talked up a visit to the Inn for dinner after a day that we plan to spend hiking at the Delaware Water Gap. In 1979, I had taken a date to the Inn for dinner. It was a late spring evening. We entered a place that had "Welcome to our Inn" all over it. Telling the hostess that we had never been there before, we were escorted outside and up some steps in a fern laden woodland setting. The atmosphere was VERY charming, and with all of the glowing candles at every table at all the different levels outside in this terrace in the trees as I remember, it was very romantic. Dinner was, it seems, if I remember, a delicious filet done to perfection and a most delicious accompanying red wine. Cost was just not an issue as I was out to impress. I know I did. This was in 1979.
Now-- Having heard the place had changed hands from web-surfing I decided to check the place out again... Again, I was wanting to impress... After the reviews of this place-- I can not afford it from any perspective. Sorry! I will look around for another place... I will be back though in a few years to re-check it out...It's only fair to check it out once more after a spell and see if it might be worth another chance. Good Luck.