“A refreshing experience!”
Review of Stockton Inn

Stockton Inn
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Stockton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge St
Description: Established in 1710, this is the inn that was immortalized by Richard Rodgers in the song "There's a small hotel with a wishing well" sung in the Broadway play On Your Toes. The inn was first built as a private residence and is believed to have been converted in 1832. Come and explore the over 300 year old Stockton Inn, nestled in the quaint borough of Stockton, New Jersey. Romantic dining is served in the exquisite mural rooms with fireside seating during the colder months. In the warmest months of the year, savor your meal and your surroundings while dining on the patio alongside two waterfalls and beautifully integrated gardens.
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Six friends met here for lunch on a sunny, warm Memorial day. We were greeted by a friendly hostess and promptly seated at our table on the covered patio. The outdoor setting was beautiful with an abundance of greenery and a delightful waterfall. Our waiter was most attentive, professional, and efficient. Yet he was friendly enough so that we enjoyed some light hearted banter during the course of our visit. We shared several appetizers that we all thoroughly enjoyed remarking how tasty, innovative and freshly prepared they were though the clams casino were a little on the chewy side. The entrees were also warmly received. Our servers knew where to place our plates without having to ask. There was none of "who gets the pickled pigs feet" here! The staff here are proud of their restaurant and strive to ensure that their guests have a pleasurable visit. Oh, don't pass up the splendid pasteries for dessert!

There are newer reviews for Stockton Inn

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We decided to go again to the Stockton Inn for dinner. Friday evening, 5 people, with no reservation. We were hoping the restaurant wouldn't be too crowded, and it wasn't.

We arrived at 6:30pm on May 30th. We were happy to see that there were more empty tables than tables that were occupied. We entered and asked for a table. "Do you have a reservation?" "No" we responded. This has been the process every time we come here, and then, we are seated. "We don't have anything available until 7:45" was the response. What? We all stood and looked around at the almost completely empty dining room....we had walked through the almost-empty patio to get there....we were all shocked and just looked at each other in confusion. I said to the woman behind the counter "but you have all these empty tables" and she just continued to look at me. I asked her if they were short of staff....another woman who had walked up said that they would not seat us because they want all of their guests to have the same kitchen experience and they wouldn't be seating us until 7:45.

Really! That's what she said! We were like....wow....okay.....and we left and went elsewhere. Coincidentally, we went to another establishment, well-known to us, and were greeted by the owner. We told her of our experience, and she said she was down one chef that night, so she shortened her menu. Brilliant! Why would you turn away customers, especially since only 40% of your tables are occupied, and I believe that to be a generous estimate.

I know that this establishment has changed owners several times in recent years. My niece held her wedding there 3 years ago, and since that time they have stopped hosting weddings. Perhaps they are having management/staffing issues, making it difficult for them to function well. I'm not certain what the situation is, but the haughty demeanor of the staff who turned us away is enough reason for me to not go back. Good food is not a good enough reason to patronize an establishment that doesn't value it's clientele. We won't go back...there are plenty of other restaurants in this area who have food as good or better, who welcome and value our business.

3  Thank SonriseBMD
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My spouse and I had dinner there the evening of May 30th. While we've dined at the Stockton Inn in its previous incarnations, we had not been there in quite a while. Our visit last evening was poor at best.

The service was attentive, but we were both confused as to who actually was waiting on us with different people coming and going at various times.

And they were coming and going a great deal to "check on us", as the actual serving of the meal was quite slow, particularly between the appetizer and the main course. I probably could have made a good dent in "War & Peace" there was so much time.

The calamari we had for the appetizer was quite crisp and not at all greasy. But it was cold.

The main course was inadequate and frankly that's being generous. I had the 8oz tenderloin and asked for it "medium rare". What came back was quite rare, cold and sitting on top of room temperature potatoes. My spouse had crab cakes which were good, but once again on top of room temperature potatoes.

Overall...Poor. It will be a long time before we visit the Stockton Inn again. There are too many other better options in the area.

1  Thank JCTTXAG
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My neighbors ate at the Stockton Inn on May 21 and reported that the food was outstanding! Ah, the stage was set with high expectations. We met another couple on Sunday, May 25, for brunch. Our table was waterside with the cascading waterfall. So pleasant to be outside, especially after a terrible winter. There was music with an electric keyboard, but for the first time, we had to admit that it was too soft! Several staff members attended to us, but we were unsure of our actual server's identity. We ordered: Lobster Crab Bisque, Eggs Benedict, Fried Shrimp and Oysters, Calamari, Cheese Steak Sandwich, Cobb Salad, and a Beet/Goat Cheese Salad. The oysters were outstanding but the breading was a little greasy. The calamari was average. The soup had such a hot aftertaste that I wondered if someone had made a mistake with Tabasco, but did not say anything. The Cobb was okay as was the cheese steak sandwich. Now for the eggs Benedict. My husband began eating, and I was surprised to see spinach and tomatoes on his plate when a staff member appeared with a plate containing eggs Benedict and said that he had been served eggs Florentine. He left the Benedict and also the Florentine as I decided I wanted to taste the egg. Guess what - the egg could not be broken with a fork (now, mind you, this is suposedly poached), and I realized that the membrane was surrounding the egg - so I pealed the egg, a "poached" egg! Unbelievable. The beat salad? Well, although my neighbor put this in the outstanding category, it was most pitiful, especially for $12. Very few beets and a small amount of greens (the goat cheese was nice). As a connoisseur of numerous restaurant beat salads, this was ranked on the bottom (try Dora in Clinton, NJ for a delightful beet salad; Rosa Luca (Asbury, NJ) had the best as a beet Napoleon with toasted Hazelnuts, but they have eliminated that from the menu). Now for the coffee (we had only water and no alcoholic beverages) - that took some time. Kim ordered a cup but had to order it again because it never arrived. Would we return to the Stockton Inn? Probably, and give it another try because of the setting and location. But quite frankly, it's mediocre fare at best (except for the oysters that were fantastic).

1  Thank Gingerbrook
Reviewed May 27, 2014

First, it couldn't have been a more propitious day - sunny, breezy, yet comfortably warm - so al fresco dining was our definite preference. (A great choice! The Inn's physical and historic beauty from our garden table, adjoining the picturesque waterfalls, was simply enchanting.) While I had dined here on past visits to the Bucks County area, the touch - and attention to detail - of a new owner/manager and chef was immediately obvious. Our party of 6 with a 1:00 pm reservation was warmly greeted on arrival, and we were promptly seated. (Reservations are important; we had learned earlier that, despite the facility's overabundant size, lunch and dinner service is limited by management's choice to the kitchen's optimal capability.) After we were seated, we were initially a tad cautious about the youth of our waitstaff, but any concerns were quickly dismissed by their remarkably professional, knowledgable, yet unusually friendly and quite accommodating, execution. The menu was eclectic, and reasonable. An assortment of first courses (a French version of "Mac & cheese", mussels, a clam dish, etc.) were ALL quite top notch. Main courses, to the kitchen's credit, were equally well done, nothing totally remarkable, but all excellent. And, do save space for dessert: all were, well, simply outstanding!! A must "go"!