“Incredible ”

Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Stanhope
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

If you are a traveler like me, mainly Europe, you will absolutely love this place. Very relaxing, gorgeous property and very good food. If you just like fries and burgers and Budweiser, heated up in microwave in 5 minutes then maybe go to the smaller bars near by and your lunch will be served in 15 minutes.
Great pierogies! Oh the bread!!!! You must try the Polish beer! Żywiec!
Highly recommend it. Close your eyes and picture yourself at some European cafe and relax!

1  Thank Magdalena Z

Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

On a beautiful night we stopped on our way home from work for dinner on the patio. They told us they were full and our only option was to sit inside. They wouldn’t let wait for an outside table. We walked out.

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

So disappointed with the service. There were 4 of us eating out in the garden and all we ordered were sandwiches and we waited an hour before the waitress came by and said your food will be out shorty .... more time waiting, then we had to go look fir her to get the check and then again to pay it and didn't even acknowledge my friend standing there. Wish we had a good experience because the place looked nice.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

Oh, Bell's. Bell's, Bell's, Bell's. Why have you fallen so far from grace? Over the years of our continued patronage, we have glibly overlooked the minor mishaps; an extended wait for food, a drink not made quite right. It happens. It's life. The patio sunsets alone kept us coming back far more often than they should have, and we were ok with that. Until......

Picture it. Friday night. Place is hopping. We're a party of 4, with our names down for outside seating. Took our place at the inside bar, to sip the wait away. All is well. Led to our seats even a tad earlier than anticipated, score. We sit. Sun sets behind our table mates, we bask in the glow. After a few long minutes, the waitress arrives...and so it begins.

Mmm, Clams appetizer. Would've been delicious had said waitress not taken the order only to return 20 minutes late to inform us that they ran out. Ok, 2nd choice...mussels. They come bouncing to the table, so rubbery I could've swapped one for my car tire. We alert our waitress. *Ohhhh* she mumbles. We order jalapeno poppers instead. They arrive without issue and are what they are, fried premade frozen poppers.

Entrée time. Steak on a Stone and chicken Joshua for our table mates, Porterhouse and a Welli for us. Porterhouse ordered medium rare, Welli ordered medium. And so we wait. Dusk turns to darkness, tablemate's order of Pinot is brought out as a Reisling. Twice. Never corrected. We sip, we chat, we wait. Then! Finally! 3 plates and a sizzling stone of certain hot death are ushered to the table, and we gaze lovingly at the food. Steak and chicken are a hit. Porterhouse is cut into and.......shocker. Well done and resembling the bottom of a boot. My Welli is pre-sliced (which I abhor) and is a grey as a stormy day. Nope, annnnnnd nope. We look to alert the waitress, who has grown sullen as the night progresses, I suspect due to an overload of tables, and her anticipation of issues soon to come. My guest and I show her the Porterhouse and Welli. She says "Huh! Ya shoulda ordered the Steak on a Stone" and walks away with our plates. After about 10 or so minutes of our tablemates' awkward contemplation of "do we eat or not?", we assure them it's fine to go ahead, and we wave down the female owner (Name not known). We begin to describe the evening's frivolity, from bad mussels, wrong drinks, wait time, to the improperly cooked food. And here's where is gets interesting, folks. As we are talking to her, her husband/other owner/cook comes walking towards us.....with a plate in his hand....my God....it's the Porterhouse! He drops it down in front of me, but shouts at my guest, "You sent this back! It's what you ordered! See!" He then proceeds to.....wait for it.....POKE THE PORTERHOUSE WITH MY FORK THAT HE SNATCHES FROM MY PLACE SETTING. My guest, who is now utterly appalled, tells him that he ordered it Medium Rare, and it's clearly well done, and starts to go into the other issues of the night. The owner then TAKES OUT HIS CELL PHONE AND TURNS ON THE FLASHLIGHT and shoves it in our faces, again shouting "Look! I've made a thousand steaks! The lights in the kitchen show that I cooked it fine! Look at it!" Well NOW, we have customers around us who have stopped eating in order to watch this spectacle. The woman owner LITERALLY runs away, and the waitress stands behind the male owner, cowering. My guest now has both hands on the arms of his chair, attempting to rise, the owner is now shouting and poking at the Porterhouse again WITH HIS FINGER. I see that the Gates of Hell are about to break open, and I raise my hands as if stepping between two boxers. We tell him to take our meals off the check, we will pay for our drink and the poppers, and to please leave the table. He takes two steps away, ONLY TO RETURN with a new frenzied rant about my Welli, which had not made a reappearance to the table. I shouted (admittedly) "You are embarrassing us and our guests!" and he finally walked away. As we sat there, stunned into silence, the frazzled waitress appeared with the two separate checks. And stood there.....AND stood there. We took out cash, put it in the billfold, and sat and waited for our tablemates to finish. Waitress asks, "Is there something wrong? Are you done? Can I take that?", motioning to the bill. In all our days, I cannot recall ever experiencing anything like this at all. Anywhere. Ever. Needless to say, we strode right out the front door, heads high with indignation, and promptly drove to the diner for comfort food. Fare thee well, Bell's. We are never to return.

2  Thank WhartonFoodies
Reviewed June 21, 2018

The food here was tasty. It would not work if I had been in a rush. We got there around 1 for lunchtime. We were seated outside on a hot day and not offered a seat inside. There was a Bridal shower in one room, but I saw other rooms there that might have had seating. there were many umbrellas outside so it kept the sun at bay, but it was still warm unless there was a breeze. They put a basket of fresh bread out, but only had olive oil and the bread was a little tasteless and burned on the outside. The food took a while, but when it eventually came out it was really good. My boyfriend and I shared a margerita pizza and a bbq chicken sandwich.