“BBQ mostly”
Review of Down to the Bone BBQ & Co. - CLOSED

Down to the Bone BBQ & Co.
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hope, New Jersey
“BBQ mostly”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a BBQ place: but a very good one. If you eat outside you have a great view of the lake. The servers were ok and tried to please. A couple near us seemed like the type that are never pleased but by the size of them they must have been to many places; they complained to the waitress and the owner can out and offered them everything but a deed for the property. Even if their food wasn't to their liking, I was very impressed at the effort of the owner. Our food was very good as it was excellent BBQ.well worth if this is your type of food. Much better than the prior owners.

Visited June 2013

Budd Lake, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great deck and view, service, food ok”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Strange experiences both times I went. a couple weeks ago, I went on a sunday afternoon and they were out of hush puppies. Thats hard to do, since its really just a mix. But ok, the portions were large and food pretty good. Service was VERY slow though. Went yesterday for Fathers Day about 2:30 in the afternoon. Could not order off the menu which kind of stinks. Had to choose from 5 special dishes...and could NOT just get a rack of ribs. Makes no sense at a BBQ joint. So, One of the appitizers on the special menu was crab cake. we ordered that, and they eventually brought out a shrimp cocktail. When I said we didn't order that they said oh, they were out of that. If its on the special menu, didn't they shop Friday and Saturday??? it was only 2:30 in the afternoon! Then, from a choice of 3 desserts we all picked apple cobbler. They came back to say they were out of that! Again, 2:30 in the afternoon with a "Special"menu. Its as if they always forget to order. So both times I went, service was very slow, and they were out of real basic stuff. My guess is they won't be around long if that is the way they manage the place. No staff training, no one tracking ordering supplies.

• Visited June 2013
Succasunna, New Jersey
“Don't Like Being Lied To”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

When a restaurant tries to be all things to all people it becomes a problem. There is a restaurant in the area that has been open for over 50 years and has a sign over its door with the following saying . The easyist way to fail is to try to satisfy everyone. Done to the Bone has not learned this. If you are selling BBQ don't sell seafood or fried chicken unless it is fresh and not a frozen or prepared item. My wife ordered fried chicken and I ask was it fresh the waitress never checked and the chicken came out perfect on the outside but raw on the inside. Another order was cooked by that time I had eatten my meal and my plates where removed . In every manner it was the same on all 4 pieces and it to was raw. We where asked if we wanted something else to eat . We would not wait another 20 minutes and we would not as they suggested purchase a dinner to go. They removed the fried chicken off the bill but did't have the smarts to remove my wifes $2.50 coke.
I would not be writing this review if they had followed the cooking directions on the box or without question put a small piece of cake in a box to give this as come back again We Will Do Better.
Recently I was at a hotel which had just opened for the season they got great reviews including mine even though they had their start up problems because they addresses them,maded everyone feel welcomed and where both personal and extremely proffessional and the way they said good byes made you want to return. To the owner of the bone go to the Windless read the sign above the door and think about it and maybe if your around a year from now will give you another shot.

Pittstown, New Jersey
“OMG!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have been looking for good BBQ in New Jersey ever since I moved here from Texas in 2008. I read about "Down to the Bone" in a motorcycle touring publication and thought "what the heck", I might as well try another one. I went there fully expecting to be disappointed again. Well guess what? It was OMG good!!

I ordered the full rack of St. Louis style ribs with dry rub only, no sauce. These were the best spare ribs I have eaten since April a year ago when I was in Memphis. Big, meaty, succulent ribs that were cooked to perfection and seasoned perfectly as well. Competition-quality for sure! My two side dishes of Cole slaw and baked beans were delicious also. I kept waiting for something negative to happen, but it never did. The waitress was excellent and Jeff, the General Manager stopped by my table to chat for a while. What a friendly fellow!

I will definitely add this restaurant to my favorites. It is destined to become a regular stop for me because in addition to the wonderful food, there is more that I want to partake of, like the beautiful bar and outside deck right on the shore of Lake Lackawana. A really nice place!

Sparta, New Jersey
“Second time's a charm”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We tried this place the first week it opened and we left with the feeling that either there were opening week tweaks to be made or this place wasn't going to last. Well we tried again and we're happy to report that the tweaks were made and the experience was very positive. The meats were prepared well and the half rack of ribs at $12 is very inexpensive for what you get. There is an outdoor lakeside seating area as well as a '3 season room' which, based on our experience with the past owners, could be drafty/chilly during spring and fall, so be aware. Otherwise, this place is now on our list of places to get good BBQ -- give it a try!